May 31st, 2012

New York mayor wants big sugary drinks banned

If New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, you won't be gulping down any 44-ounce Cokes at any of the Big Apple's eateries after March 2013.

Citing what he says is the contribution sugary beverages make to obesity in the U.S., Bloomberg says the buck, and the big Dr. Pepper, stops with him.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do,” Bloomberg told The New York Times.

Is drinking soda really that bad for you? | What is high fructose corn syrup?

His proposal would ban any the sale of any sugary beverage over 16 ounces in any of the city's restaurants, delis, movie theaters or even street carts, according to reports from New York.

Sales of sweetened drinks larger than 16 ounces would still be permitted in supermarkets and convenience stores, according to the reports, including one from CNN affiliate NY1.

Bloomberg's ban would not apply to diet drinks, juices, milkshakes or alcohol, according to the NY1 report.

The New York City Beverage Association responded quickly Wednesday.

“There they go again. The New York City Health Department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top. The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates. It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity,” the group said in a statement, according to NY1.

According to the Times report, more than half of New York's adults are obese or overweight, and the city says more than 30% of its citizens drink at least one sweetened beverage daily.

Child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy

James Estrada, a 41-year-old truck driver from Queens, New York told the New York Post that it doesn't make sense to just ban large sizes for everyone.

“I’m 6-2, 230 pounds so . . . serving sizes don’t really apply to me,” Estrada told the Post. “I just know that’s not enough for me. I usually get a large because it’s a good deal and I take long trips. I don’t want to stop every hour for another drink.”

How I kicked my Coke habit

If Bloomberg's plan goes through, there's still a way to drown yourself in Pepsi. The Times says while fast-food restaurants could only give out cups holding 16 ounces or less, free refills are allowed. So just plan for more trips to the soda bar.

Post by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Food • New York
soundoff (1,059 Responses)
  1. midogs2

Pass that 36 ounce slurpy to that 300 lb. man gorilla sitting next to me on this airplane.

May 31, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mine

I love how 57% of people say that government shouldn't tell them what to do... it's obious that americans can't think for themselves when obese people can't understand why they are fat while guzzling a 64oz soda....

May 31, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • PantyRaid

The article clearly states that they will still honor refills.

So now tell me, how does taking away freedoms curb obesity again?

May 31, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Tee

People excercise and can handle and sugar that comes their way. Bloomberg needs to shut his Socialist mouth.

May 31, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • midogs2

Never sit in the middle seat, Mine. I feel like Olive Oyl sitting between Blutto and Brutus.

May 31, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam Crow

Millions of Americans DIED for this freedom idiot. MILLIONS DIED for the right to eat, drink, and do what ever job you want to. That is why. Americans cant think for themselves, I agree, but banning soda is not what I mean when I say that. This idea is stupid, and it is unlawful.
      It is up to the person to decide what they want to drink, not the govt.

May 31, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ashley Morgan

Hope they don't try this in New Jersey. Chris Christie packs a powerful thirst.

May 31, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Billyripp

This country is more and more ridiculous by the day. A mayor doesn't have the right to tell me I can't have a good ole Coke or Pepsi. How bout banning beer, and liquor. Liquor has a lot sugar in it too. Candy, and other junk food has a lot of sugar as well. Come on mayor get a grip...if you ban soda ban it out of your house hold...but leave it to everybody else to ban it out of their house hold.

May 31, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • PantyRaid

They said they would still serve milkshakes. Have you seen how much sugar is in a milkshake?

Anyways, our freedoms are being taken daily, and Americans are oblivious to the control.

May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • JENNY

So obesity is an issue yes, but doesn't he understand the problems with alcohol? and why ban the drinks when the food is still available. I would LOVE for the government to back off. I don't drink sodas, I'm not obese but how about letting grown adults make their own decisions?

May 31, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. David

This is what happens when the government gets too big.

May 31, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • J.C.

This is what happens when megalomaniacs like Bloomberg get a hold of the reigns of power.

May 31, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. PantyRaid

They will be taking our internet freedoms soon as well.

May 31, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • mstchief

They are going to take them all if it is not stopped. All this is is a political move to get soda companies to pay for something he wants with tales of obesity. DO YOU REALLY THINK LARGE SODAS CAUSE OBESITY??? If his ideals were just, then he should only all Whole Foods and other organic companies do business in NY, right? No more pizza parlors, no more fried chicken OR anything else with trans fats of stuffed with chemicals to make it grow faster and bigger. Obesity is mainly caused by the stuff that is put in our food... steroids, etc., add no exercise. Soda has been around for OVER 100 years, and all of a sudden it causes obesity which has plagued us for 30 years are so...Soda is not the problem Trust me, it is BS to get something he wants PAID for by soda companies. I think that should be illegal, as these companies have no obligation to pay for any community project.....but they put out MILLIONS yearly to communities, charities, and green initiatives. It is a shame how they are "forced" to put out more but politicians using extortion.....

May 31, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. charliebean

The government covers your healthcare when you get older, so they are trying to manage your body as a product. Tell me why you need cigarettes or 20 oz sodas when these things cost us all billions in medical costs. But if you are too stupid to realize this and stuck on your libertarian beliefs then you can pay for your own million dollar medical costs

May 31, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • PantyRaid

" so they are trying to manage your body as a product."

Exactly, you are not human to them, just a product. Is that what you want?

May 31, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo

I smoke about two packs a week and have a coca cola maybe once a day. Not everyone over-indulges.....JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!

May 31, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • mstchief

We are paying of our own medical costs....have you seen the 16 trillion deficit, or the plan for Obamacare. Where have you been? Soda is not the root cause, as it has been around for over 100 years......riddle me this genius, WAHT HAS NOT BEEN AROUND FOR OVER 100 YEARS?????? Could not the chemicals stuffed in our foods. If only people would think.....what changed in the last 30 years????? Steroids and ungodly amounts of other crap stuffed in beef and chicken. The feed that they eat is stuffed with "nutrients" so they grow three times faster than before.....getting the picture here. THINK>>>>>PLEASE THINK FOR YOURSELF FOR ONCE

May 31, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Wow

What about a one pound burger with bacon and cheddar? How about the Domino's pizza that has the crust stuffed with cheese? Don't those make people fat too? I'm all for stopping in schools and maybe even for putting a tax on drinks over a certain size, but to say I can't buy a ridiculously huge soda when I get my giant popcorn at the movies is too damn far in my mind. It's like they are saying I'm incapable of making that decision. Now I have to sneak in my 32 oz Mountain Dew every time I see a movie? Just encouraging me to break the rules. Where will it stop? Maybe I start breaking a few, more serious, rules. Suddenly, I'm on the other side of the law and the next thing you know I'm robbing banks and dealing drugs. All because the mayor decides 16 ozs is enough? Sounds like a mistake to me.

May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • mstchief

you hit the nail on the head sir, this is how he gets the soda companies to pay for a project he wants.....that is all this is. He would have to let only Whole Foods do business in NY if his ideals were true....

May 31, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. MLT

Here he goes again! Another round trying to implement "Bloomberg-topia" I'd pitch in to get him his own little island where he can sit on a throne and make all the rules he wants!

May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ed

I take it back it all started with seat belt laws then cigarettes, now soda, whats next?

May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Justwondering

Just wondering how a country that is so progressive in so many ways has so many ignorant citizens? The USA is truly a country of a few bright people and a whole bunch of fools sucking down high fructose corn syrup and wondering why they're so fat and unhealthy.

May 31, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Bobington

Please explain to me how high fructose corn syrup makes you fat? Fructose is a simple sugar, easily broken down by the body in order to create energy. It gets used by your body, not stored as fat. Did you pay attention in middle school at all when the rest of us learned this fact?

May 31, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • mstchief

you are not one of the bright ones...so, what you are saying is that a product that has been out for over 100 years all of a sudden caused obesity in the last 30 or so years....i think not. Try again.....what happen to our food in the last 30 years.......how do chickens grow three times faster...if only people could think for themselves, instead of follow and listen.....what would this country be if that were the case...keep drink the kool-aid and following

May 31, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tex71

The Beverage Ass'n has got some nerve talking about other people's "unhealthy obsession"...straight out of Karl Rove/ Goebbels Propaganda Handbook: immediately blame your adversary of doing what you yourself are guilty of!

May 31, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Michael

Communism has reached America.

May 31, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Naked

Sugar and high fructose corn syrup is what is largely (pun intended) killing us and causing obesity, heart disease, and many other chronic illnesses! We MUST lobby food manufacturers to use much less of it in products (without including dangerous and unhealthy artificial sweetners as well; STEVIA is OK though)!

May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • PantyRaid

How about you just don't eat it then? You have a choice don't you? For now anyways.

May 31, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • mstchief

May 31, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. J.C.

Knowing Bloomberg, undercover officers would also be posted in every fast food restaurant to ensure compliance. Anyone seen drinking a second 16 oz drink would be apprehended.

May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |