Britain's Prince Philip hospitalized
Prince Charles, left, Prince Philip, Prince William and Prince Harry talk during the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant on Sunday.
June 4th, 2012

Britain's Prince Philip hospitalized

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and the husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, has been hospitalized with a bladder infection, Buckingham Palace said Monday.

He will remain hospitalized for observation for a few days, according to a palace statement.

The prince will miss Monday night's concert as part of the queen's Diamond Jubilee as well as events related to the celebration on Tuesday, the palace said.

FULL STORY
  1. Zombie Iron Chef America

He does have the same dreadful healthcare that the rest of the rank and file Britons have, right? Good luck to him then.

June 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Zombie Iron Chef America: you know what's really funny? Americans complain about the English health care system all the time, but relatively few English do. It may not be perfect, but it seems to work far better than the American system.

I remember a few years ago when someone actually posted that Stephen Hawkins (the famous British Physicist in a wheelchair) would have died if he had been a part of the English health care system. Hawkins pointed out in a reply that he only survived BECAUSE he had English health care - in the United States he would have been too poor as a graduate student to afford the necessary treatments and health care visits.

June 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sparksa

Dreadful healthcare? I for one am thankful to the NHS for saving my ankle from fusion, thankful to the NHS surgeon who did wonders to make that happen and for the all the care after the surgery. Also very grateful to the NHS physiotherapist who worked with me for 6 months to correct the complication and save me from tendon surgery which would have resulted in a very long and painful recovery.
      I am also extremely thankful to the NHS for diagnosing my wife's borderline ovarian cancer, and for treating her fast so it didn't spread, and for checking her for the past 3 years to make sure she's safe.
      May I mention that all this was done for FREE and we did not have to argue with anyone about costs or if is covered by the insurance. I know plenty of Americans who had the same problem with the ankle / tendons like I did, but unlike me (who got a straight forward treatment from the "dreadful" healthcare system), they had to pay for their surgeries because the insurances did not cover.
      I choose NHS over the American system without giving it a second of thought, not only because is free, but also because it has excellent staff.

June 5, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. duckpuddle

He is 91.

June 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tajklertalks

Hiding behind words is an easy way to attack someone or something. Strange that no matter what the topic there are those that run up the name calling and country bashing. It's deplorable, but I'll sit on the sidelines and watch this world sink ever downwards with those with nothing but hatred and ignorance. Continue. :-)

June 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ralphiec88

Clem, the guy's 91. You should be so lucky.

June 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jaintn

Gee Clem, inbreeding is the cause of his ill health? The man is going to be 91 in a few days. Think your superior genetics will let you live that long? Doubtful. Don't be such a creep. It's unbecoming.

June 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Edwin

Clem: this is a truly bizarre claim. Using a single infection as your evidence demonstrates you don't have a lot of knowledge of statistics or medicine and kind of brands you a kook.

Otherwise healthy people DO get hospitalized for infections quite often - all it takes is a nasty bacteria and somebody who thinks it's not that serious and waits to get it treated. In other words, there is no evidence of faulty genetics in one hospital visit.

June 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MARIELENA RODRIGUEZ

HE HAS BEEN ILL FOR A WHILE AND JUST RECENTLY AOUT THE HOSPITAL, I SAW THE PARADE AND REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE STANDING THAT LONG AND IN THAT RAINING WEATHER.

June 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Goremote

Dude, he's 90..........

June 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bruce Kennedy

The review on the Thames was magnificent and inspiring. I am proud to be a descendent.

June 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cope

oh please! he is an elderly man – elderly men get UTIs, at least he is in the hospital, receiving treatment. Many die from advanced urinary tract infections. I don't think this has anything to do with inbreeding -

June 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

definitely a gnat-sty old man disease...confuse confucius says: gong!...drwink the blood of cranberries and maintain high jeans...gong!

June 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I admire Prince Philip enormously and wish him a speedy recovery.
    Maybe he just didn't want to go to a Rock concert. I wouldn't want to go, and I'd go into a hospital to avoid one if my wife were being honoured with an evening of Rock.

June 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ibirogba sesan

Pray you recover soon

June 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Posh doings in his underwear no doubt

Urinary Tract Infections are common in those who engage in anal sxx or who do other dirty things with their weewees.

June 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sparksa

@Phil from Dallas
    Actually I will be more than happy if UK lets Scotland go. Afterall UK pays for the tuition of the Scottish students (they pay £0), while the English students pay up to £9000/year. UK pays Scotland for many things and let's not forget, UK bailed out the Royal Bank of Scotland who landed us in deep trouble. So yeah, let Scotland go, then UK will save quite alot of money.

June 5, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |