Overheard on CNN.com: Monarchy debate reigns in commenting kingdom
iReporter Chaleen Botha says her daughter got to meet Queen Elizabeth II in Brisbane, Australia, in 2011.
June 4th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Monarchy debate reigns in commenting kingdom

The Revolutionary War is now a thing of history books, but conversation about the value of monarchies - constitutional or otherwise - in modern society is still very much alive. Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee has encouraged further discussion about the real meaning of royalty. Where do you stand?

Buckingham Palace rocks in queen's honor

We noticed that two commenters claiming to be British debated Americans' attitudes toward the monarchy. Are queens and kings and princes and princesses still relevant, or should they be relegated to history and fairy tales?

UKsideofpond: "I am totally flabbergasted by the total ignorance, respect and appreciation of other countries customs, etc. There are 44 monarchies around the world, some of which are 'absolute' and some of which are 'constitutional'. I can't believe that some Americans believe that Britain is ruled by the Queen! Do these people take time to have a look at countries outside of their own? I doubt it. Do they believe that we are living in medieval times? I think some of them believe we do. Fortunately, I'm big enough and ugly enough to realize that the majority of comments here are from a minority of Americans whose live revolves around the X Box and whom many have never been out of their own state. Thank heaven for the normal, intelligent American that I have come to know and like."

soaprano: "Wake-up call from this contributor. I am English born and bred and live in England. The fact that the royals are rubber stamps does not in anyway change the reality of the facts of what they really are, pampered, kept parasites of no value or use whatsoever to the nation ... tourism do I hear you bleat? So the thinking person is to accept that Shakespeare, the Brontes, Dickens, The Beatles, Stonehenge, etc., are all sideshows and looking at Buckingham Palace is what makes the majority of tourists spend money coming to Britain? What an insult to all the artists and musicians and history of Britain that anyone in any great numbers should believe looking at inbred parasites is the primary reason for flying across the world to Britain.

Of course, many of our readers are quite fond of the royals.

Moira Little: "Just watched the Diamond Jubilee concert for Queen Elizabeth. What a fantastic show for an amazing woman, 86 years old and still working for her subjects. I live in Philadelphia but am on vacation in the UK at the moment and am glad I am here to witness such a fantastic show of respect for her work over the last 60 years. Love that I am still British."

angrycandy: "This USA'er sees the value of intermediaries such as the Queen of England whose role actively encourages nationalistic celebrations. The USA, on the other hand, trots out the same old religious dogma and expects its citizens to partake of a meagerness that somehow defies mold."

But many are quite baffled. Where do you stand?

SR388: "I have to admit, as an American, I don't really understand the idea of the British royals. The UK is headed into a double dip recession thanks to its austerity measures, but they continue to pay for the royals and throw big parties for them. OK, well I guess it's not my country and it's not for me to understand."

WarHorseTwo: "The queen is monarch of 1/3 of the world's population, and 1/4 of the world's land mass. She is a constitutional monarch, and most folks like and respect her. We don't expect Americans to understand. But oddly enough, the Americans are some of her biggest fans. Who knew!"

This longtime watcher of Jubilees said they felt in awe of the event.

drldeboer: "I've now seen each of Queen Elizabeth II's Jubilees - Silver, Golden and Diamond. At each, there was nothing but thanks from her and her family for those who have and do serve their country faithfully ... as they too have served in war, in peace and in charity. On Tuesday they will be in church, thanking God. So in the words of another faithful servant of Great Britain ... God bless us, every one."

Some readers have sent us images and stories about the Diamond Jubilee and Queen Elizabeth II. Mohammed Seedat shared a photo of her visit to Burnley, England, in May to talk about higher education. Kathy Ann Smith of Chicago sent a festive group photo featuring Union Jack motifs, and another shot of interesting eyewear. London resident Kasia Jessica Swica of London posted a fisheye-style photo of a picnic in the city.

Anybody got a Union Jack to spare? Please share your photos, videos and views on CNN iReport if you're attending the Jubilee or simply want to tell us what you think.

richie123098: "So proud to be British, God Save the Queen! Been driving around since Friday with two Union Jacks on my car. It's great to see us Brits celebrating our Queen and our country and the weather is British for the occasion!"

Richie1994: "I've been looking everywhere for those Union Flags that go on the wing-mirrors for cars; still haven't found one!"

richie123098: "I've wanted some of them too, but no luck, just the flags in Tesco. The wing mirror flags look awesome. Hope I can find some in time for the Olympics!"

Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

1. bobcat (in a hat)©,

A married couple was in a terrible accident where the woman's face was severely burned. The doctor told the husband that they couldn't graft any skin from her body because she was too skinny. So the husband offered to donate some of his own skin. However, the only skin on his body that the doctor felt was suitable would have to come from his buttocks.

The husband and wife agreed that they would tell no one about where the skin came from, and requested that the doctor also honor their secret. After all, this was a very delicate matter.

After the surgery was completed, everyone was astounded at the woman's new beauty. She looked more beautiful than she ever had before! All her friends and relatives just went on and on about her youthful beauty!

One day, she was alone with her husband, and she was overcome with emotion at his sacrifice. She said, "Dear, I want to thank you for everything you did for me. There is no way I could ever repay you."

"My darling," he replied, "think nothing of it. I get all the thanks I need every time I see your mother and father kiss you on the cheek."

June 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. banasy©

O. M. G.
    Perfect, bc(iah)©!

June 4, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©,

A cabbie picks up a nun. She gets into the cab, and the cab driver won't stop staring at her. She asks him why is he staring and he replies, "I have a question to ask you but I don't want to offend you.

She answers, 'My dear son, you cannot offend me. When you're as old as I am and have been a nun a long as I have, you get a chance to see and hear just about everything. I'm sure that there's nothing you could say or ask that I would find offensive."

"Well, I've always had a fantasy to have a nun kiss me."

She responds, "Well, let's see what we can do about that: #1, you have to be single and #2 you must be Catholic."

The cab driver is very excited and says, "Yes, I am single and I'm Catholic too!"

The nun says "OK, pull into the next alley."

He does and the nun fulfills his fantasy. But when they get back on the road, the cab driver starts crying. "My dear child, said the nun, why are you crying?"

"Forgive me sister, but I have sinned. I lied, I must confess, I'm married and I'm Jewish."

The nun says, "That's OK, my name is Kevin and I'm on my way to a Halloween party."

June 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat)©, a two for one. You are on a roll.

June 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nsaidi

Hi guys, thanks for the jokes, that's good stuff ... we do encourage discussion related to the subject of the monarchy and the Jubilee, of course. :) Appreciate you stopping by.

June 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. High Hopes

LOL!

A website with an usher!
    :D

I couldn't care less if Brittain has a queen, pampered and spoiled. But, I think I can speak for most American women when I say we prefer royalty with a purpose. We related with Princess Di who served the world in humanitarian causes and have a hard time accepting the queen on a personal level when everything she does is ALL about HER!

Respectfully,
    Hope

June 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Greek American

I think even most Brits feel the monarchy is basically useless. Don't forget, they live off the taxpayers money, and with the latest economic downturn, there has been a lot of anger towards the monarchy. Sure, some of them may do a lot for charity, but who really cares when they are basically getting paid by your money for doing nothing.

June 4, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I hope that there will always be an England, and that there will always be a monarchy there.
    Queen Elizabeth II has been an inspiration throughout her reign.
    Long live the Queen!

June 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. James

The logistics with abolishing the royal family would make the task nearly impossible. The Queen is not just head of the UK, but also of 15 other commonwealth realms... Essentially, would all 16 countries have to agree, or would those opposed to the idea be drug along into a republic? Take a country like Canada – If the people of the UK decided to abolish, would that not mean the royals could still be head of Canada and not the UK?

June 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ♚Mmmmm♛

nothing is as moldy as the british monarchy or religious-based than british monarchy...you should read up on the historical relationship of church and crown...

June 5, 2012 at 6:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

the queen sit on the chair of peter in the Anglican faith...

June 5, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

red dragon chynah employs the same diabolical tatic of with its goverment-sponsored church where the dictator is self appointed head of the church and appoints bishops...end result duped citizens has no faith but religious hull called church for political brainwashings
      ...toodle-loo angrycandy!

June 5, 2012 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. fernace

We all know royals are a vestige of a long gone era & are simply figureheads & goodwill ambassadors for their respective (44) nations! Nevertheless, it's a tradition many nations aren't willing to let go of! As a Swede, I know that none of the Scandinavian nations are ready to abolish their royal families! They will simply have to disappear organically & may very well do that in a few generations! Until then Royals are an instrinct part of our societies & histories a people & nations & yes, a sentimental tradition that no1 understands but us! Hip Hurrah to Queen Elizabeth! May she live to serve her nation many more years!!

June 5, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. fernace

That should read "as people" not "a people"! Thanks!

June 5, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. ♚Mmmmm♛

lol...

June 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Superman

I say that a monarchy is more like a coyote in chickens clothing why are so many people under payed in that part of the world, and people say they wont leave there home land,,,well maybe these people cant afford it about 3/4s of them but she the so called queen gets richer and richer by the second why all the others strugle more

June 5, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patricia

Did you read that in a comic book?

June 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Superman

Long live the queen? Tea wash!!!!

June 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Patricia

As an Irish-American, I was greatly affected when the Queen spoke Gaelic in Dublin. She doesn't have political power, but she does carry great historical and symbolic significance that is enhanced because she stays out of the political fray. I wish we had something like that in our country.

June 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply