June 4th, 2012

Source: Militia seizes airport in Libyan capital

A militia group has seized control of the international airport in Tripoli, Libya, a security source said Monday.

Two platoons of the Tarhouna militia moved in overnight because of an ongoing dispute with the national government, sparked by the disappearance of a militia leader on the airport road Sunday, the source said.

The Libyan government sent emissaries to meet with the militia group Sunday night, Deputy Foreign Minister Abdul Karim Ahmed Bazama said. The talks were continuing Monday.

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Africa • Libya • World
  1. saywhat

Wha? Libya again?
    I thought we had done our job there. Is that place still on the map?

June 4, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

@ Anyone, Would this "militia group" be Gaddafi loyalists?

June 4, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

•Sigh•
    Again?
    Really?

June 4, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

@Mary
    Good morning. In a tribal culture its hard to say, though I doubt it. Its more about a clan not having a say in the affairs.
    Good morning @ banasy.

June 4, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Then that Question is dangling out in the air as to who these people are and what stance they have on the up-rising.
      Nice! Cnn, You would think Cnn has enough money to pay their reporters to gather "all the facts"
      And of course I'm going to end up delving into the 'who' question tonight. Otherwise in will just hang there in my head and we all know there's a lot of room up there! 🙂 LMAO ...

June 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©,

I'm really surprised it's been as calm as it has over there. There are so many different tribes in Libya that regardless of what the 'central' government does, someone is going to feel like they've been stiffed. I really don't see these tribal leaders letting the government run their affairs like was done under Ghadafi.

June 4, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

Good morning saywhat, banasy and mary.

June 4, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

@ bobcat
    Good morning. You are on the mark here.
    very few of us know that Ghaddafi had done a lot for Libyans. No point in going there now, though.

June 4, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. Portland tony

Without a strong central government these "liberated" middle eastern countries are going to be subject continuous power grabs by the various ethnic or sectarian groups forever. Look to Syria, what comes should Assad fall? About a million Sunni sects battling the Shia and Christians groups for control. If you think Assad's rule was bad...wait till the sectarian Sunni groups take over!

June 4, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Good afternoon to you bobcat (in a hat)©, looking forward to reading your jokes today.
    I have taken the liberty of C/P ing a lot of them for my later enjoyment as well. 🙂

June 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • shame on yooo

child p.orn? shame on you!

June 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KIRK/JACKSON

There is no good option here, lesser of two evils, at best.

June 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Lol @ Mary, you made a pretty good joke of your own! 🙂

June 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ shame on you, wth are you talking about???

June 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. No one

@ chrissy, I was thinking the same thing. And I have my moments.
    Have a wonderful evening now. I'll be out for awhile, I have some serious *beez wax* to attend to. 😉

June 4, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

lol @ no one, gotta enjoy *your moments!*

June 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©,

Jim, a traveling salesman goes to a hotel late in the night and asks the clerk for a single room. As the clerk is completing the formalities, Jim looks around and finds a stunning blonde seated in the lobby. He tells the clerk to excuse him for a moment and heads to the lobby. He is back in a minute with the blonde on his arm.

"Fancy banging into my wife here," he tells the clerk. "Guess I'll need a double room after all."

Next morning, when Jim comes to settle his bill, he finds the amount to be $4200. "What the hell is this?" he yells at the clerk. "I have been here for just a night!"

"You are right, Sir," says the clerk, "but your wife has been here for 4 weeks."

June 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

lmfao bobcat, that was awesome!

June 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |