Racer Busch suspended for verbal abuse of reporter
Kurt Busch is the 2004 NASCAR season champion.
June 5th, 2012

Racer Busch suspended for verbal abuse of reporter

Former stock car season champion Kurt Busch won't be racing this weekend in Pocono, Pennsylvania, after NASCAR suspended him for verbally abusing a reporter following Saturday's race in Dover, Delaware.

Busch was already on NASCAR probation following a confrontation with an opponent's crew in Darlington, South Carolina, in May.

When Sporting News reporter Bob Pockrass asked Busch on Saturday whether being on probation affected his performance on the track, Busch berated Pockrass.

"It refrains me from not beating the (expletive) out of you right now because you ask me stupid questions," Busch replied. "But since I'm on probation, I suppose that's improper to say as well."

Busch's probation was to have ended July 25. NASCAR has extended that for the rest of the year as well as suspending Busch for any races this weekend in Pocono, according to a NASCAR press release.

"Busch violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing; violation of probation; verbal abuse to a media member) of the 2012 NASCAR Rule Book," the press release said.

In a statement, Busch accepted his punishment, according to a report on NASCAR.com.

"I put them in a box," he said of NASCAR officials. "They had to take action, and it's my fault for putting them in this position. I apologize for the comments I made to Bob Pockrass."

Busch has 24 career victories and was the 2004 series champion.

Can Busch's career survive his temper?

Post by:
Filed under: Auto racing • Sports
  1. just me

If I was his crew chief, I would PARK the hothead motormouth for the rest of the season and put another driver in the car! NASCAR needs to fine him another $50k MINIMUM! Maybe THEN he will finally get the idea?? (TS seems to have learned as have others, but it seems KB still rants on no matter what.)

June 5, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • CP in FL

Just me – It is the owner's call as to who is going to drive the car, not the crew chief.

June 5, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rose

Oh wait Monte, you said a cuss word, now they should kick you off. See PERFECT PEOPLE

June 5, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pam

The reporter's question was aimed at Mr. Busch's verbal altercation with another driver and his probation. He obviously knew that Mr. Busch was in the midst of a tirade and he got the result he expected. That is his job. Mr. Busch's job is to present Nascar in the best light possible. He failed and he will now suffer the consequences.

June 5, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. just me

MY BAD! Sorry...OWNER park him.

June 5, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • HPN

Sorry Mr. Bush, it really wasn't even a stupid question. You could have answered, yes because you have drive with more caution to make sure you don't do any thing that could be misunderstood as intentional, or you could have just no. Stick driving and let your owners do the thinking.

June 5, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Adam

"The 2012 NASCAR Rule Book" I definitely NEED a copy of that...

Rule 14c.a.b12 – drivers under the influence of a BAC of .24 or higher may be charged with a verbal warning.

June 5, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dale Juniors Undies

last weeks race had more empty seats than a child molesters birthday party

June 5, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

As opposed to, it seems, everyone else commenting on this story, I am not a NASCAR fanboy – my take: if you ask a stupid question, you run the risk of "abuse."

June 5, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kengra

He should not have apologized nor should he be fined. The reporter should apologize. What an jerk to ask such a stupid question at such a sensitive time. May the media shrink.

June 5, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. reporter

I saw those Monster 18-wheelers in a caravan heading south on I-85 between Durham and Hillsborough, NC this morning. I was wondering where they were going. Not to the race, apparently.

June 5, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeb

They need to get rid of this guy for good. He obviously has not learned and whatever twisted psychology infects him can't be corrected with discipline. Maybe nascar is keeping him around to create drama? Change the speed channel to the nascar reality channel.

June 5, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. AC

I bet he is a good Christian.

June 5, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • melvinslizard

Nice try, TROLL.

June 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jlf

his outbursts have shown disrespect for Nascar,the different racing teams he has driven for, the fans, the other drivers and their teams, and especially himself. he must be in midlife crisis mode...it's time for him to step back and decide what his future holds!

June 5, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. HPN

Sorta looks like W. Bush don't he.

June 5, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • dalewalk

Nobody should look THAT stupid. Poor feller.

June 5, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • NorthropP61

Well, that's just mean!

June 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James

i dont like either of the Busch brother but i dont blame Kurt Busch for this i blame the reporter. i have said for a long time that reporters should wait until the next day to interview drivers after a race. try driving in rush hour traffic for 3 to 4 hours and then get out of your car and do a interview. you wont be so plesant either.

June 5, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • NorthropP61

You're overlooking the fact that all the other drivers face those same reporters without acting like idiots.

June 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Trent

Some people just can't take a hint and shut up.

June 5, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |