June 6th, 2012

Did Miss Pennsylvania quit because pageant rigged, or she opposed transgender entries?

Miss Pennsylvania says she has given up her state crown because the Miss USA pageant was fixed, but organizers say an e-mail she sent this week shows she quit because of her disapproval over allowing transgender participants.

"I will relay to you the reasoning behind my resignation. I witnessed another contestant who said she saw the list of the Top 5 BEFORE THE SHOW EVER STARTED proceed to call out in order who the Top 5 were before they were announced on stage," Sheena Monnin wrote on her Facbeook page Tuesday.

"Apparently the morning of June 3rd she saw a folder lying open to a page that said 'FINAL SHOW Telecast, June 3, 2012' and she saw the places for Top 5 already filled in."

Monnin said she waited to see how things would play out.

"After it was indeed the Top 5 I knew the show must be rigged; I decided at that moment to distance myself from an organization who did not allow fair play and whose morals did not match my own," she wrote on Facebook.

But the Miss Universe Organization said that while Monnin did resign following Sunday night's pageant, her description of the events and why she quit is false.

"The Miss Universe Organization can confirm the resignation of the Pennsylvania titleholder after she did not place in the Top 16 at the Miss USA pageant. In an e-mail to state pageant organizers (below), she cited the Miss Universe Organization’s policy regarding transgendered contestants, implemented two months ago, as the reason for her resignation," the organization said in a statement. "Today she has changed her story by publicly making false accusations claiming that the pageant was fixed; however, the contestant she privately sourced as her reference has vehemently refuted her most recent claim.

"We are disappointed that she would attempt to steal the spotlight from Olivia Culpo of Rhode Island on her well-deserved Miss USA win."

According to the e-mail released by the Miss Universe organization, Monnin sent her resignation after 4 p.m. ET Monday before writing on her Facbeook page, saying the organization had strayed by allowing transgender participants in the pageant.

"I am officially and irrevocably resigning the title of Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012," the e-mail released by Miss Universe said. "I refuse to be part of a pageant system that has so far and so completely removed itself from its foundational principles as to allow and support natural born males to compete in it. This goes against ever moral fiber of my being.  I believe in integrity, high moral character, and fair play, none of which are part of this system any longer.

"I hereby return the title of Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012."

Monnin hasn't commented on the release of the e-mail.

The topic of whether transgender participants should be allowed in pageants entered the spotlight after a controversy in the Canadian version of the pageant. Jenna Talackova, 23, forced Donald Trump and his Miss Universe Canada pageant to end its ban on transgender contestants. Talackova fell short of the national title at the pageant.

And in Sunday's Miss USA pageant, the topic surfaced in the question-and-answer part of the show when Rob Kardashian read aloud a question sent in by a viewer via Twitter for Culpo, Miss Rhode Island and the eventual pageant winner.

"Would you feel it would be fair that a transgender woman wins the Miss USA title over a natural-born woman?" the question asked.

Culpo quickly embraced the Miss Universe decision to allow transgender women but also acknowledged why some people may not feel comfortable with it.

"I do think that that would be fair, but I can understand that people would be a little apprehensive to take that road because there is a tradition of natural-born women, but today where there are so many surgeries and so many people out there who have a need to change for a happier life, I do accept that because I believe it's a free country," Culpo said.

1. Mojo

USA is a joke. Now a Miss USA could be a Mr USA !

June 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Southern Guy

I'm a supporter of LGBT, but I've got to draw the line at a person born as a male, participating in this. It's just ridiculous. But, come to think of it, the whole Miss – whoever contest subject is a joke anyway...

June 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Richard

Beauty contests are for women, not hybrids.

June 7, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nick Bruiser

So when are chicks going to be entering into the Mr Olympia contests?

June 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Truckules

Truckules says, why do you care about what someone does to their genitals or if they parade them around a stage. I'm sure you know about how the magic TV box works and ratings, remember outside of you and your partner and preacher no one cares about your pitiful and petty beliefs. I am going to wager if you put all 50 contestants in a row 90% of us couldn't tell who was born male, and even if you could i'm sure the trans person is to attractive for you. So read your bible and dream sweet dreams where everyone shops at the walmart like yourself and we are all afraid of the sky man who makes the rules for peoples genitals.

June 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. nagrom

Miss USA pageants are no longer for the pure and unaltered physiques. If Miss Pennsylvania didn't have boob and eye implants she would be a dog to look at. Just my take. She has an issue with a guy becoming a woman but doesn't have an issue with putting padding in where no padding was previously. She is not a real woman. Real women don't enter Ms USA pageants.

June 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Polisci45

Totally agreed. There should be no difference between a man becoming a "fake" woman, and a woman getting "fake" breast implants, lip injections, buttocks implants. It's all fake so what makes the difference.

June 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

We always have to hear about the "moral fiber of someone's being" when gays and transgenders are involved. Apparently her "moral fiber" is unraveling since the girl she quoted as having seen the top 5 list said it never happened.

June 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Deena

Well, you've got me wonderig what an "eye implant" might be in this girl's case!
      But I will agree with you that she has had breast enhancement surgery– because it's pretty obvious just looking. And one, unfortunately, was placed just about a half inch higher than the other one...

June 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. n1j1n1

Wow I agree that allowing TG people to enter a pageant is wrong I don't beleive we have to be so hateful about it

June 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jokerones

Another religious kook just wanting he 15 minutes.

June 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. MillieBea

Is she angling to be the next Bachelorette? I feel hidden agenda here......

June 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Robyn

It is for the best that she resign and let someone who does not have her deep ugliness take over.

June 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. jaintn

Gee, she's so physically beautiful and so internally UGLY. The fact that she used the word 'moral' in her rant about a transgender contestant and natural born male, shows that she is not only incredibly ignorant, but intolerant. Don't let the door hit you on the way out honey.

June 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Bismoney

She is brave enough to give back the crown. Beauty will fade away but she has not let her moral high ground taken by immorality. She has a story to tell to her children and grandchildren

June 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. 2cents4free

Thank God I don't watch these pageants. Might find myself oggling at a dude thinking it's a girl. I think that's unfair to the straight viewers.

June 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. DaShakAttack

If transgender is justified, then transracial should be also.

Well, I am a natural born persian, but my mind feels like I am black.

Shouldn't I be able to get some melanin implantation into my skin and become a transracial black?

affirmative action here we come!!!!!

Because afterall, I feel like im black, so I should change because it makes me feel better. ...

Transgender people are mental cases, that is a simple fact.

June 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. faboge

so you can be a "fake woman" but you cant criticize the show! LOL

June 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply