24 hours through the lens
June 7th, 2012

CNN Mash-up: Inspiring graduates, odd sport

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

The power of positive thinking

Dawn Loggins is a remarkable young woman from a remarkable North Carolina town. After having lived in a house with no electricity or water, she became homeless at the start of her senior year of high school, abandoned by her drug-abusing parents. But she kept going to school, earning straight A's during the day and scrubbing the floors at night. With her community rallying around her, Loggins will head off to her dream college this fall. She had help, but it was her own determination that made it happen.

When I was younger, I was able to look at all the bad choices - at the neglect, and the drug abuse, and everything that was happening - and make a decision for myself that I was not going to end up like my parents, living from paycheck to paycheck.

You can see more of Loggins' story on "AC 360" on CNN tonight at 8 ET.

The most senior member of the senior class

The four-year slog through high school seems like a long time to many students as they near graduation. But they have nothing on Ann Lupica Colagiovanni, who had to quit school at 17 - because of the Great Depression. But on Wednesday, CNN affiliate WJW reports, Shaker Heights High School in Ohio conferred an honorary high school diploma on Colagiovanni at age 97.

Watch a CNN reporter get kicked in the ...

It's a simple sport, really: Two men grab each other by the shoulders and commence to kicking each other's shins until one of them falls down. The rules have changed a bit since the beginning in ancient England, but "this is about hurting him so he gives up, basically," our expert, Ben Granall, says.

All hail Parker, Colorado

CNN iReporter McKay Barnes looked outside and grabbed a camera. Hail from a thunderstorm was piling up in the driveway like Rocky Mountain snow. Check it out, and be glad you're not shoveling in June.

A father's pilgrimage

Denis Asselin is on a seven-week, 525-mile walk in memory of his son Nathaniel, who committed suicide last year after a long struggle with a mental disorder. The father's gesture moved many CNN.com users, including Expressurslf, who wrote:

I walk every night and it brings me inner peace and contentment. We take this life for granted too often and before we know it, it's gone. Sometimes we need to take a walk, clear our minds, and remember to be good to ourselves and each other.

On the horizon: Syria meeting, Belmont Stakes

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will meet Friday in Washington with Kofi Annan, the envoy for the United Nations and the Arab League, to discuss the situation in Syria.

The Belmont Stakes horse race will be run late Saturday afternoon. I'll Have Another, the winner of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, is the favorite in this race, but only 11 horses before him have succeeded in capturing racing's Triple Crown.

June 8 anniversaries

• 1968 – James Earl Ray, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassin, was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport after a two-month manhunt.
  • 1981 – Israeli bombers leveled the Osirak nuclear reactor in Iraq.
  • 2006 – U.S. and Iraqi authorities announced that terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed in a coalition airstrike near Baquba the previous day.

June 8 birthdays

• Former first lady Barbara Bush, 87
  • Author Sara Paretsky, 65
  • Actress Kathy Baker, 62
  • "Dilbert" cartoonist Scott Adams, 55
  • Actor Keenan Ivory Wayans, 54
  • Actress Julianna Margulies, 46
Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. iceninexp

Why are Superman and a Pirate hanging out at the resort in Israel?

June 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. rox731

Who knew, that Jack Sparrow and Superman knew each other. LOL

June 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dazzle ©

I commend the actions of Mr. Asselin walking in memory of his late son. However, I do take issue with the words "mental disorder" and the innuendo that that type of disease caused the young man to take his life. Per the DSMIV that phrase is still active but rarely is used by clinicians. Our logic is it adds additional stigma to a disease that some will never be able to find that safe person to talk to and thereby delays treatment. @CNN, enlist Dr. Gupta in future articles concerning a disease that affects the brain and body. You just might save a life.

June 7, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. No

Someone must have touched a nerve there, huh chief?

June 8, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Prions. One of natures wonders

Prions are part of natures cleanup crew for the diseased mind/body also. Every 20 years or so, some medical mind gets an award for discovering a prion that "may cause disease".

June 8, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. dazzle ©

Oh hi Philip again.

June 8, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Cleanliness

True, cleanliness does not attract filth.

June 8, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Prions

No fair. I don't know your first name and so am being denied my right to respond in kind. :) Hi @dazzie.

June 8, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. dazzle ©

You can just call me dazzle and please note that ends in le.

June 8, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Razzle

Ok dazzle. And you can call me by whatever s/n I choose also. Ty in advance. (and to explain, i truly thought your username was dazzie. old eyes. :)

June 8, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

I've got several s/ns I've been using for years. Take Ahkmed here, for example. I created this charachter in 1998, not long after Usama Bin Laden made the FBI's most-wanted fugitive from justice list.
    When I'm in charachter and someone 'sherlock holmes' my actual name...think of someone who doesn't like Steve Martin focusing on the man rather than on his performance as *The Jerk*, for example.

June 8, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. dazzle ©

Yes Philip I do know that. MY u-n is a play on my given name and it is the only name I use on here. I am not the kind to jack my own name and make a statement and blame a jacker or troll. That's pure cowardice,

June 8, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Philip

I've been blogging from since before the word 'blog' was coined. I recall the days when there simply were no people hijacking other peoples usernames. Then I recall AOL disks being sent to virtually every bored housewife in the USA. The hijackings, trollings, and lurkings began in earnest shortly thereafter. It's what brought-down AOLs hometown community "War on Iraq" scrolling live news chatrooms. Online se x galore.

June 8, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Philip

The regs at those scrolling AOL chatrooms used to get together and produce plays for each other, a light-hearted way for, say, those who considered themselves to be democrats to illustrate their collective viewpoint. It was so much fun! One time we created "Dog City", with SherrifBob911 trying to pin the bank tower fire caused by two flaming houseflies on a standup comedian. (Ahkemed the Terror Guy) This skit lasted nearly 3years before the hosebags showed up and trashed it.

June 8, 2012 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. LMAO

I posted the lyrics to Bob Welch's 'Ebony Eyes' and even THAT got deleted. Nazi youth moderation perfected.

June 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply