June 11th, 2012

Defense: Jerry Sandusky might take the stand at trial

Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach charged with child rape, may take the stand at his trial, his defense attorney suggested Monday in his opening statements.

Joe Amendola told jurors that Sandusky routinely "got showers with kids" after working out and that he would say so later.

Sandusky, 68, has been under house arrest since being charged with sexually abusing 10 boys over a period of at least 15 years. Prosecutors allege that he met some of his accusers through Second Mile, a charity he created for underprivileged children. He has pleaded not guilty.

FULL STORY
  1. Mary

We all know Mr. Sandusky has *many* screws loose. What I want to know is, what is Mrs. Sanduskys excuse? Furthermore; what would be all those enablers excuses be?
    Those are the ones who are even more guilty that the perps; for they could have prevented it.
    Really what goes through the mind of an enabler standing by while listening to the boy screaming. What the blank is wrong with them?

June 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@bobcat. I know. Yet, you do have Jerry Sandusky convicted in your mind. You have been tampered with, and therefor would not serve on this jury. Me? LMAO. I had Sandusky @guilty 15 years ago. Do you not read my posts...or musta missed these;
    Remind me to tell you the one about Mrs. Sandusky having an affair with a man who was rayped when he was a boy. A man with a recorder.

June 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. M. Robinson

Philip, you didn't write the Patiot Act for Children, then? Sorry, I thought you posted it. My comments were to the poster that had written it. Of course, men should be charged with s.r. whether the victim is a boy or a girl. I don't believe in charging pedophiles who target boys only differently, though. . Condecendingly insulting my intelligence with the 7th grade remark is unecessary and shows poor sportsmanlike behavior concerning debate. I implor one to abandon that tactic if wanting to continue a conversation.

June 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. vikkidvs

Auburn University shooter in attic in Montgomery, AL house! Cops surrounding the house as we speak and do not know if hostage situation yet! Helicopter in air!

June 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

Joe Amendola, Sandusky’s attorney, proved that he has not learned anything in the last few months. He said in his opening statement, “This is a daunting task, the state has overwhelming evidence against Mr. Sandsuky. A tidal wave of media coverage, so many accusers. I just don’t know [what to say] …One of the keys to this case is to keep an open mind. What you are going to hear originally is going to be very, very easy to say, ‘I’ve heard enough, I don’t want to hear it. This is awful.’ Sandusky is entailed to a fair trial, but how can he have one when his own attorney admits the state has evidence against him?

Sandusky's Lawyer is a JOKE! looking for a mistrial ... Just in case

June 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ralphie

There isn't the slightest chance that Sandusky will testify. Who does Amendola think he's fooling?

June 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

@ Ralphie,
    attorney Joe Amendola said Sandusky will explain himself directly to the jury.
    That decision came as a surprise to prosecutors, who expected to hear Sandusky’s words only through the testimony of alleged victims.
    Did Amendola not watch the Bob Costas interview? He did not have to interrupt Sandusky in another interview to explain away Sandusky’s statements? Does Amendola not realize that Sandusky’s prior interviews are public record and therefore can be used at trial? Why put Sandusky on the stand when he could not manage two softball interviews? Even if Sandusky is innocent, he comes across as guilty, and creepy, when he talks. If he is guilty, he will just make it worse. You do not put this man on the stand.

Sandusky really needs a different attorney.

June 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • M. Robinson

You want this man to be freed, yes? Or are you saying that an appeal made be in the future for incompetant representation should he be convicted? I am not understanding of your point.

June 11, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Greek American

This case I think is already basically over, as in GUILTY. If Sandusky takes the stand, it will only strenghten the prosecution and they will tear him apart in cross examination. That's true for most guilty people who stupidly decide to take the stand anyway I would believe. Ill be shocked if he does but don't really care as long as he ends up in prison for life.

June 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

I was lecturing, not *debating*. Had you challenged me to an actual debate, 'saywhat' would be called upon to moderate, with the peanut gallery remarks viewed as zip-squat from a drunk audience. (like rednecks who threw beer bottles at Eddie Rabbit b/c George Jones didn't show again. Though I do like Rabbit's 'Rocky Mountain Music'...
    Little brother was never quite right
    He used to sit in the sun and moonlight
    playing with the dust that danced on the beams in the window
    Sister had to cook and clean
    'Cuz pappa he got so sick and mean...
    i'll skip the part about mamma
    Youtube it. This song is the story of the dysfunctional family basic unit of civilization.
    But , yeah. George Gones @Billy Bob's Texas circa 1980. Funny, Eddie Rabbit cursed at 'em and swore never to return. Tony Dorsett was there too. Wider than he is tall. He didn't weem that bulldozery on TV. anyway, gn. zzzzzzzzzz

June 12, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

*seem that wide.

June 12, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

Sandusky is the FOCUS!
    And I'll only say this once, You make me sick!

June 12, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. M. Robinson

@Philip: Oh. I should have made myself clearer. I should not have used the word debate. I should have used conversation, yes? I find your post to be interesting, Philip, which is the only reason I tried to engage you in a conversation. I wish no ill feelings I have a keen intereset in this trial; this is only my second day here. What/who is saywhat?
    I also no of not reputable lecturer who starts of a lecture with hogwash. Forgive me if I saw that as an argumentative opening.

Mary, I do not think that I am the one who makes you sick. I hope not, anyway. I do not even know you. I realize that Sandusky is the focus. I was answering a fellow poster who was talking to me.

I do not think I shall engage you two in any sort of conversation. I shall talk only to people who are respectful of other people here.

I would be very interested in hearing what kind of defense Sandusky could possible come up with to explain his patterned behavior of abuse of the boys he came in contact with. I am wondering if he started his charity to gain easier access to a pool of victims. In any case, this disturbs me greatly.

I shall check in to see if there are any new posts. I must go to work now.

June 12, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Obama Mama

@M. Robinson_ I guess you have not heard of his History Big mouth syndrone flimsy defense?
    @philip I think this is the same person that may have been through what you have, thus his interest?
    @Mary is this the same person you thought was philp the other day?

June 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. M. Robinson

Obama Mama, I have only found this site a few days ago. I don't know much of this case. That is why I am perplexed by the animosity I am having here. I know very little on this case. I am not of this country, and I recently learned of this. It intrigued me. I seem to offend people here. I don't think I shall say anything, just read, yes?

June 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jesse Venegas

throw in jail already....

June 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |