June 13th, 2012

Dozens more firefighters to join effort to stop Colorado wildfire

Officials plan to more than double the amount of fire engines battling the raging wildfire in northern Colorado Wednesday in the hopes of stopping the blaze that has scorched more than 43,300 acres, destroyed dozens of structures and pushed thousands from their homes.

On Tuesday, 40 fire engines and 17 fire crews battled the blaze and were able to get it 10% contained, officials said. On Wednesday, the team fighting the blaze will grow to 100 engines and 34 crews, said Bill Hahnenberg, an incident commander.

President Barack Obama telephoned Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper on Tuesday and said his administration is already making personnel, equipment and federal grants available to the state to help in the effort.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Barack Obama • U.S.
  1. Mary

He better make the Fed available; that's a military state. They got military up the ying yang in Colorado Springs that I know of.

June 13, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. banasy©

This is awful...
    I hope they contain this fire soon!
    Seems awfully early in the year for this to happen!

June 13, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mickey1313

I live just south west of Denver, and the brown color to the northern sky is sad. You can smell fire in the air.

June 13, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Indifference

Just as we see people saying EQs are nothing new, so there's no reason to become alarmed. There have always been forrest fires. It has nothing to do with what mankind has done to this earth.
    You know...the chicken little dissers.

June 13, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Indifference

Maybe we could ask Sudanese villiagers for some help. Well, on second thought, maybe not. When a million Sudanes were being driven from their homes by their own "wildfire" government, we turned a blind eye towords them, even at the UN.
    Wondering if it's kharma.

June 13, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mickey1313

No other nation has ever aided America like we aid others. We are not the world police. They are Russians alies, let them help out

June 13, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Indifference

This IS awful. I hope they get this one contained before the next one. And I'd like to post my concerns and condolences for the next one in advance, in case i forget. ty

June 13, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saywhat

This is worrisome. Hope and pray this fire is contained.

June 13, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Good morning saywhat.
      I agree totally.
      "Indifference" above seems to have a problem with my expressing concer. I suppose "Indifference" (Philip, for that is who it is) would rather I express the hope that he burns to a crisp?

June 13, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

@banisy, doesn't poster "phillip" live in Colorado?

June 13, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Actually, Philip would rather be discussing how global warming is natural. And that our violent weather exremes, increased EQs and major forrest fires are in fact a direct result of our polluting earth's atmosphere.
    Pollution offers shade over the earths waters, and so scientifically measured rates at which water evaporates have been being altered since the Industrial Revolution.
    But go ahead and gab of nothing much ado. Hay! Focus on men maybe?

June 13, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. I'm Going To Change My Name With Every Post

Jeez, Philip, lay off banasy! You think people don't know it's you posting and making fun of her all the time? So she expresses concern, so what? You's think YOU'D be a little bit more concerned being you live there! Show some class for once!

June 13, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. I'm Going To Change My Name With Every Post

She expressed the same concern saywhat did! Picking on women only?

June 13, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Philip

This, coming from someone who changed their name just to be here? Get real. It's just a s/n. Get over it. And again, it is you calling out my name 'Philip', NOT me calling out your name 'Donna'. I mentioned nobodys name in my comments. You did.
    Nothing can stop the earth from becoming a warm paradise. Mankinds pollution has taken a natural warming of our climate and turned it into one with violent weather extremes.
    CARE TO ARGUE? (argue w/ your bible or your scientific evidence, or both. your choice)

June 13, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. I'm Going To Change My Name With Every Post

Philip, I am not Donna, I am merely defending her. Someone needs to. You are correct in your posts about the causes of the wildfires, but incorrect in always making fun of her empathy, and incorrect as to who *I* am. You don not need to bully her all the time. Haven't you noticed she hasn't been on as much? Do you blame her? Everytime she's on, you start making fun of her! I realize you don't like her, but good Lord, man, she is enti tled to post whatever she wants, same as you are! What about this? You BOTH ignore each other?

June 13, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. I'm Going To Change My Name With Every Post

I'm not calling you out on anything except your behavior towards Donna Tbanasy), either. No, I don't care to ARUGUE with you about these things, Philip, because I have seen how you lambast anyone who dares to have an opinion differing from yours.

It's not very nice to try and drive away people, son. It shows a side of you that's not very accomodating. You've driven away many. I know, because I've been here for YEARS, and I've kept in touch with them. I'm going to go back to my regular username now. I've said what I've had to say. Show a little more respect for your fellow posters, and a little less derision, and they may attempt to talk to you more often.

Thank you.

June 13, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Philip

Again, the suggested topic is not 'Philip'. And as I have said repeatadly, for the first year on this "news" blog, I was known as "The Gentle Blogger". I have only changed my tact (in the wind) for YOU! so you would let me dig that peanut butter out of your ears.

June 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Philip

@mickey. Yes, I AM from Colroado. And from Neveada, Utah, Texas, Peru, Germany, California, Yemen, Wyoming, Montana, France, The Black Sea, eyc etc etc....placed I've worked as a roughneck and as a Drilling Consultant. (20 years) I retired from the oilfield in 1996.
    My perspective (old man, world traveller, avid reader, no TV, inside info on how the worlds oil flows, etc., coupled with 40 years of bible study/study of religion/history/ancient history. A'course my views are uncommon, unpopular, and rejected by the masses hooked on video/pharma...even hooked on blogging! (no offense, Donna) :)

June 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. mickey1313

such Hostility in here. Some might think this is not a friendly place to post your opinion. I knight go to the religious section, whether everyone is always hostile

June 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply