June 14th, 2012

2,000th U.S. death reported in Operation Enduring Freedom

The death of a U.S. Marine in southern Afghan combat has ushered in a grim milestone.

Cpl. Taylor J. Baune of Andover, Minnesota, is the 2,000th American to die in Operation Enduring Freedom, the name for what the Bush administration characterized as the "war on terror" after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

The operation began with the invasion of Afghanistan and the toppling of the Taliban, which harbored the al Qaeda terror network that conducted the attacks. But there were military actions and activities in other countries, nearby and far-flung.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan
  1. banasy©

People die of staph infections all the time.
    That's certainly not a good enough reason never to visit a hospital, if one is ill.
    Of course, if one is so inclined never to take any medicines, or never visit a doctor/dentist/hospital, that is one's own choice.
    After they are an adult, of course.

June 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

My goodness!
    We have strayed far afield!

Once again, my condolences to the family and friends of this soldier.

June 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stu Nahan

Meanwhile our country has been invaded and occupied by 50,000,000 invaders comitting 75% of the crime, victimizing americans

June 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. No more 9/11s

We haven't had another international terrorist attack since 9/11! Why? Because our leaders Bush and Obama went after the Iraqis and the Afghanis who did 9/11 and got 'em! Even the ones hiding in Pakistan, Libya, and Yemen.
    All that's left is to get the other 9/11 sponsors. (Iran and Venezuela)

June 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • PEDO BEAR

While we are at it, we should just hit up NK too. We can blame it on collateral damage. :-)

June 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@Mary:
    They obviously wanted their kids to live.
    They didn't stray from the medical field; they just didn't believe in vaccines.

June 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Addendum:
      They do, now! :)
      Does that explain it, Mary?

June 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

Still wouldn't make sense to trust one form of *Med* yet, not another.
    Anyhow, have a great afternoon.
    Work always gets the way of blogging! ;(

June 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

If someone is totally against meds, I guess it wouldn't.
    They were against vaccines.
    Why? Scare sites.
    There is value in every experience, good or bad.
    I believe in medicine, when used correctly.
    Others don't.
    It's a choice.I am luck enough to have a doctor who explaines things thouroughly, and eshews medicine if there is an alternative, more natural choice...but if I have something wrong with me that nature can't cure, I'm damn well going to get the medicine I need, lol.
    If I have a skin cancer lesion, it's coming out!
    With anesthetic...I don't like unessesay pain.
    Know what I mean, jellybean? :)

June 14, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. james ainoris

I have a form of DU that is known to cause cancer and mental health issues... DOD reluctant to admitt just like agent orange and ptsd shell shock et al. Any one who thinks all of modern medicine is in a conspiracy is sadly nuts or ignorrant. Did you ever stop and really think how much safer the world is and how good the quality of life is today vs 100 yrs ago....? The greatest achievment of mankind (as per HaShem) is modern science and medicine....You cannot even attempt to argue against such a fact unless you are dopey... Check out even the negative aspects and weapons such as n-kes... after ww2 the number of deaths related or caused by war were reduced dramatically do to the balance of power and assured mutual destruction of both sides "stalemate". Are ability to deal with trauma and emegencies also were vastly improved oh yeah we also defeated the most evil empires the world has ever known! Even with DU I still am proud to be American and on the side of good.... Bonus question: where do you want to live?

June 14, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Thank you for your service, James.
      I hope you get the treatment you need, and deserve.
      My opinion?
      The DoD doesn't formally recognize these because it would cause emlistment to go down...and admit things they would rather not admit.
      I agree completely with your post.
      There is nowhere I would rather live, nor would I ever forgo medical treatment if I needed it.
      If I forgot to say this, thank you for your service to our country, and bless you.

June 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Greek American

My prayers for all the people that we have lost. This is very tragic and could have been avoided. Don't get me started on that though. These are indeed very brave and heroic people.

June 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HIDE BEHIND

Darn war is costly, but having to pay out $800,000, in life insurance is cheap in order to be secure in oil.
    The life long pensions to widows, as long as not remarried, and children benefits. until 23 had ought to comfort somewhat the bereaved.
    A couple hundred billion paid out to ex military, survivors per year/ after year is also cheap for our security.
    I hope that the interest on the money borrowed plus the $300,000.000.000 a year non secured printed does not run out or we may have to raise taxes.
    At what price for security in human misery, theirs and ours, let the Gods of War sort that out.

June 14, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh??

Who do I make a check out to get rid of you? You can't put a monetary amount on someone's life!!! Wait, you just did! I am sure the widows and widowers would MUCH rather have their spouse than those "great" benefits you are harping on. You know what? I hope your taxes, since that's all YOU seem to care about, skyrocket, and you personally get to know the misery that the fallen dead's families live with every day! GOD, you're cold! You and your money! Choke on it!!!

June 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

There's oil in Afghanistan?

June 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HIDE BEHIND

We in US put out checks darn near daily for the human lives we take and we value dollar wise those lives in Central Asia. M E and upon the African continent. pretty darn near next to worthless.
    What cost did we attach to an estimated 500,000. deaths to Iraq children under 5yrs of age during embargo years?
    What do we pay an estimated 75-125,000 still born and geneticly disfigured children. due to depleted uranium, add tjat yo over 400,000 Vietnamese who still suffer from agent orange.
    Ever seen a 5 year old child with their huts laying with parts of their spines some 20 feet from its innocent remains, a child ee wrote off as part of cost in El Salvador to keep a crooked political system with huge US investments there, what cost did you bear,or do you ignore to bear today? Heartless and cold, that is what makes whole nations become,heartless.

June 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

What's the answer, HIDE BEHIND?

June 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Good Game (so far)

With the score 2,000 to 3,587,491, the game goes into quadruple double trible fourble overtime.

June 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@PMS 9:38. The former government of Afghanistan is doing exactly what our own government would do if taken-over. The Taliban didn't invite the men whom we call 'al-quida' into Afghanistan. The Bush administration did, telling the government of Afghanistan that Usama Bin Laden (most wanted man by FBI in 1998) and his men were "freedom fighters" to help keep the Soviets from getting what Bush Dynasty wanted: Afghanistans pipelines to sell Bushco oil to China.

June 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Doc

Don't forget this article was also about a Marine who sacrificed everything, Cpl Baune from 1/7 Charley Co. A son, a husband, and a brother to us who served by his side. So show some respects. This will probly be the only publicity this Marine gets for his brave actions since so many Americans seemed to forget or just not care about the brave anymore.

R.I.P brother, it was an honor to serve by your side.

June 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |