June 14th, 2012

Thursday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

1:45 pm ET - Obama talks economy - President Obama will deliver a campaign speech on the economy in Cleveland, Ohio.  He'll then go to New York, where he'll visit the World Trade Center site.

1:50 pm ET - Romney in Ohio - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney will also be in the "Buckeye State" this afternoon.  He'll speak to workers and supporters at a factory in Cincinnati.

3:00 pm ET - Los Angeles Kings victory parade - The NHL's Los Angeles Kings won their first-ever Stanley Cup earlier this week, and fans will celebrate with a city parade in the team's honor.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Superman

@@@walmaret lets not forget the floating dust particles and anything else that should not be in contact or any where near the consumables,,,disgusting so beware consumers!!! You could be at risk with your health and dont forget to ask how this stuff is stored at your local wally world

June 14, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Superman

@@@barney how are you doing,,,and bobcat good ones as usual

June 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ Superman

Hello my friend. Long time no see. Been conquering any peaks lately ? And how are you doing with all those projects you're involved with.

June 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dazzle ©

Hey Hey, it looks like the old gang is still around. Hope all is well and @bobcat (in a hat)©, a special hello to you and thanks for the jokes. You've had a pesky troll around at night.

June 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ dazzle ©

How the heck are you doing ? I haven't seen you around much lately. Of course I haven't been here as much either.
    The trolls have been taking pretty good aim at you lately also. It's been mainly the funny one, so I guess we could look at that as a blessing !?
    Quit staying away so long. It's a lot more fun when you're here with us.
    And chrissy, that goes for you too.

June 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat)©, well thanks for that, at least you get crazy me. I guess it is a blessing(I might regret that) that my troll is funny and outrageous. I'm too tough for a troll to scare me off the boards. I've just been working crazy hours training my replacement in my Corporate world. I just have to bring her out to the San Diego properties but she hates to fly. It's only a 6 hour drive so we will do it that way. Is all well with the family? I was concerned when the hurricane crap was going on in your area. Hope that you were not affected by it. Glad to see that your daughter is coming along well.

June 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ dazzle ©

We are all doing well down here. We had a lot of WEATHER for a few consecutive days, but it's cleared up now with temps back in mid to upper 90 mode and humidity level to match.
      I do know what you mean on the training the replacement gig. That is such a pain in the butt.
      When is your first engagement on your book talk ? Will you be going on tour with it ? If so, what areas ?
      There I go with my inquisitive self again.

June 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Economy by the Britches

Earlier this week (Sat eve.-Mon am), I spent 3 days and 2 nights living among homeless people in Colorado Springs, where it is illegal to be homeless. If a police officer catches you homeless, you are checked for warrants nationwide and then ordered to a homeless shelter. I didn't get caught. he he....here's what I observed and what I believe helped me get an "seat of the britches" eye on the economy.
    I packed 80lbs of clothes and food in my backpack, mounted my Trek 3700 Mountain Bike, and peddaled for homelessville downtown. First stop: Acacia Park cattycorner from the HS where my sister was rayped.
    The park is exactly one square city block, with a small amphitheatre, a cool fountain that sprinkles kids, and a shuffleboard for the old folks. Today, I couldn't ride my bike on the grass if I wanted to...too many people asleep in sleeping bags and under tarps. A lady sittiing around several bags of clothing and such is changeing her baby's diaper. Cute little feller too. Offhand: 75% drug offenders.
    (cont)

June 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Economy by the Britches

Speaking with a few I learned that most shelters kinda kick everyone out during the day...supposed to be out looking for a job. I watched a couple of drug deals go down...thought about joining in a game of hackysack (i am master) but it was clouding-up and supposed to rain, so off I peddaled to a small park near the main soup kitchen. (Catholic Charities) The park is next to the RR tracks, with a couple of bridges for rain shelter if need be.
    This I did unbeknownst to Mary, whom i was texting back and forth with for most of this adventure.
    (cont)

June 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Economy by the Britches

I scoped out a couple of suitable places for the night, but there was still a couple hours of daylight so I peddaled north along our neato bike path, a well groomed trail with really nice little cutouts with benches at well selected areas...one with a perfect view of Pikes Peak, another one facing a little waterfall on the creek. Only a handful of homeless did I see, while dozens and dozens of joggers and bikers...couples holding hands, one feller was walking what appeared to be about 50K worth of 4 dogs. he he.
    See? Being homeless ain't so bad...yet.
    (cont)

June 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle ©

@EBTB, could that be because many of the folks evacuated out of Ft Collins ended up in Co Springs. They are not homeless, just displaced from their homes because of the out of control wildfire.

June 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Economy by the Britches

B4 I go any further, I just gotta share this with you...a little park tucked away right next to the RR tracks. (100 feet away) 'Demostration Park'...groomed by The Broadmoor Botanical Society...every sort of plant, a garden just like grandmas w/lettuce and such. And The Caretaker, a metal sculpture of an farmer and his hoe...very very detailed an thouroughly unique. Anyway, this one bench came with an inscription;
    Come and sit
    And to this place bring
    Your sorrows and your dreams
    And listen to this garden sing
    I was the only *homeless* person there. There were some tourists. One fat lady came-up to me as I was reading this, and really kinda snooty said she wanted the bench to pose on for pictures. (remember, i'm carrying an 80lb backpack and dressed in grubbies) I replied "No problemo. But first ya gotta read this" pointing at the inscription. She rolled her eyes and walked away...waddled, really. Then I went to the picture bench 20 ft. away... covered with a bough of roses. (cont)

June 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. deslumbrar

@Philip, I know that is you and hopefully you are not homeless. I just changed my username to the Spanish version and now I can see how those get away so easily with that.

June 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

Hi@dazzle. Ft. Collins is two hours north of here...clear on the other side of Denver. So, no, these are locals. Last year it was worse...where we DID have several hundred people...even entire families living in tent cities along Monument and Fountain creeks where the lifelong homeless have lived for years, purty much left-alone by the police. But get this...the day our city made a huge donation to Haiti EQ victim relief our mayor ordered the Police to tear down all tent cities. (recall, police in big cities were doing the same to those camped protesting Wall Street/calling for a first ever audit of the Fed)

June 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@dazzle©:
    I rarely see you on, except late at night when, of course, I'm not!
    I hope everything is going well in dazzleword, heinous schedule notwithstanding.
    I'm getting my pool ready...been a little to chilly to hop in, but the weather has been picture-perfect here...got my garden nearly done.
    I'm a happy camper...which reminds me...gotta get the tent out to let it air, lol...

June 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy©, all is well and crazy in my razzledazzle world but all good. Do you still have the grandbaby with you? Yes my schedule has been nuts. What are you planting in your garden?

June 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dazzle ©

@Philip, I travel to Co Springs often and never saw a homeless problem. I have a few family members that were evacuated from Ft Collins to Colorado Springs but fortunately they are at The Broadmoor. Astonishing though about the Mayoral order on the day that the city made a donation to the Haitians. The worst homeless situations I've seen are in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco. I truly do NOT hope you are homeless. Have a great day!!

June 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

He he. Perhaps my wording has mislead some. I wasn't homeless. I was poseing as a homeless person. :)
    And I did have other motive than seeing for myself how this economy has hurt people, and also see again those who are homeless no matter the economy. (the est. 75% of drug abusers I saw at Acacia Park mentioned above)
    I have a 1 yr. younger brother who has been living off of SS disability for over 25 yrs...discharged from the army for being a drunk, but with full VA drug access. He IS homeless as he awaits his next "payday" to rent a room or something. I was also looking for him...even rode 10 miles to his fav campspot trying to locate him during this adventure. Never did find him. (shrug)

June 14, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Philip, with your brain and powerhouse of knowledge, you should be a writer. Don't ever give up looking for your brother.

June 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |