June 16th, 2012

Polls open in Egypt amid political chaos

CAIRO (CNN) - Egyptians started casting their ballots Saturday in a presidential runoff that pits two candidates whose platforms are at the crux of the country's political chaos.

On one side, an Islamist backed by the political arm of the Muslim Brotherhood. On the other, a former air force general who served as the last prime minister in the waning days of Hosni Mubarak's regime.

And sitting in the background, overseeing the election - and the creation of a new constitution - are the military rulers who have been in control of the country since Mubarak was ousted from power last year.

The biggest question facing the at least 50 million Egyptians eligible to cast ballots in the runoff is what happens after voters decide between Mohamed Morsi of the Justice and Freedom Party, the Muslim Brotherhood's political arm, and former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. banasy©

@dazzle ©:
    Oh, I would have been doing more than smirking!

June 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

@banasy©, I'm tempted to call her favorite priest to have a chat with her.

June 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@dazzle:
    She threatened her father with that too, right? Lol.
    Whatta girl!
    I still think of that story, and laugh, often!
    Give her my best, all right?
    Auntie banasy misses her.

June 16, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dazzle ©

@banasy©, yes she did, that silly loon. She always asks for you and she will be back after her internship is up. With someone as bright as she is, you would think that stuff would stop.

June 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

20 and still getting grounded? I was married and had a baby at that age lmao! Poor TORI! J/k. It is funny tho!

June 17, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

Even in the Bible I find people Vying for Power or who will sit next to the Christ, so this doesn't surprise me. If the country as a whole wants democracy one faction will have give to let the other have that "throne" to sit apon as the newly elected President. Oh am I kidding, we all know the same thing happens here in America, it is NOT us and our vote that decides who will lead us, it is the powers that be with in our Government that install, "the one"
    This is all pointless to discuss who will be the next President of Egypt or any other Countries that fall and a subsequent puppet is installed.
    The only discussion that would be of any value to me is "knowledge" , knowledge of what is really happening with all of the ME and what it means. I am no longer willing to be blinded from the truth... are you?

June 17, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

wow @ Mary, thats almost exactly what Philip posted yesterday, which i now see has been deleted! As well as many of his other posts. Yet the responses are still up. Makes this thread look like a total mess?????

June 17, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Philips post are speaking of truth, could that not be the reason why Cnn deletes them?
    Gm chrissy. I find more truth in reading the Bible, then reading various articles on a subject from different outs to be very telling of what the media shows us.
    Anyway, sorry I gotta go for the day. hagd

June 17, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

@ Mary, i have no idea what cnns reasons are and im not altogether sure they do either! They seem to be rather wily nily these days and quite frustrating. Hope you have a pleasant day today tho, im hating this day myself!

June 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |