June 18th, 2012

After week of graphic testimony, Sandusky set to present his defense

For the first week of his trial, former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky often left the Pennsylvania courtroom with a smile - even after testimony from eight people accusing him, in emotional and graphic terms, of sexually abusing them as boys.

He should finally get a chance to present his case when the trial resumes this week, after a three-day break.

Prosecutors are expected to take care of some routine evidentiary matters Monday, then officially rest their case. After that happens, Sandusky's attorneys can call experts and witnesses of their own, including possibly letting the 68-year-old longtime Nittany Lions' defensive coordinator defend himself on 52 counts tied to what prosecutors say was his abuse of at least 10 boys in a 15-year span.

A main focus of the defense's strategy may be to poke holes at the prosecution's case thus far.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Mary

Lets play a game of "you so me your expert, I'll show you mine"
    I vote for law enforcement monitoring shower rooms with hidden cams
    Nay sayers can eat my dust

June 18, 2012 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

It is going to be interesting to see just how this reprehensible man tries to spin a defense.
    Nasty, hideous, perverted old man.
    And yes, I'm not sitting on the jury, so I can think what I want.

June 18, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Good thinking Mary!

If you don't want to have children molested and/or exploited.... just tape them in the shower! Maybe law enforcement could also put cameras in all of our private showers as well! That would stamp out abuse for sure...since it only happens in showers, you know.

June 18, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

On the list to testify is Dottie Sandusky and Matt Sandusky, Jerry’s wife and son. It is also possible that Sandusky will testify himself. If so, it is regrettable that Pennsylvania does not allow cameras into the courtroom because that would be great television.

June 18, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

Ok, I missed this last night, why is Cnn reporting "Sandusky's attorneys can call experts", when expert testimony in s@xual violence cases, so neither side can present anyone

June 18, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

test test

June 18, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

Pennsylvania does not allow expert testimony in s@xual violence cases, so neither side can present anyone, has this changed? Cnn your reporting is incorrect

June 18, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Thank you I've trying to correct my first post, I didnt realize PA forbids experts
    What is up with you Cnn, unless the laws have changed for Pa and I couldn't anything stating otherwise

June 18, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

Sandusky's defense!? There is No defense for what he's done to these boys! There is no defense for Penn State to know & not report it, (but they did keep a "file")! The world has been fully aware of the devastation of child se.xual abuse for at least 30 years, yet this man chose to visit such horrors on these defenseless boys! There is nothing the defense can say; they might as well fold up shop & let the sentencing begin! Send a message to others like him!!

June 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. High 5 Fernace

There's no ?, he belongs in jail!! Nasty, disguisting a ss p unk! He's not even a man. I hope, in jail they do 2 him what he did 2 those boys. Defense? He has none!! This trial is a waste of taxpayers $$. He's not innocent until proven guilty. He's guilty, guilty, guilty!!

June 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

@ fernance, I agree with you thoroughly and came across even more of Pennsylvania's enabling ways with in it's so called justice system

"thanks to some terrific reporting by Philadelphia Weekly's Tara Murtha, who at the time pointed out two ways in which accused s@x offenders like Sandusky can benefit from Pennsylvania law at trial:

1. Trial judges are required to instruct jurors to factor in how long it took for victims to report their allegations of s@x abuse to authorities, even though that time difference is known to have no relevance to the truth of their claims.

2. Expert testimony in s@x assault cases is not permitted.

Now why has Cnn said that the defense can call experts to testify is the next bit of info I'm looking for.

And no I'm not multi tasking the book of Matthew with this blog. 🙂 lol

this is my intermission time. bbl

June 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

ok, the picture looks a little clearer for me now having read this. Still It looks as though Pennsylvania can do what ever it feels like.
    This is the loophole for not being able to introduce an expert into the Sandusky case

Sandusky's attorney, Lawyerin' Joe Amendola, has made it clear he intends to pound away at the victims' credibility. And because of the legislature's inaction, he's got the law on his side.

Remember, only one of Sandusky's victims came forward just after the alleged abuse took place. Some continued to associate with him for years after the alleged assaults stopped, with at least one acknowledging he had lunched with Sandusky as recently as summer. Sandusky's defense claims he has something called "histrionic personality disorder," and on Friday Judge John Cleland issued an order allowing an expert to testify to that effect. As for the psychology of Sandusky's victims, Murtha wrote:

"In s@xual-assault trials, psychology experts could advise jurors, for example, that it is common for child-s@x-abuse victims to maintain relationships with the authority figures who attacked them and that it's also common for a victim to not reveal the abuse for years."

But in Pennsylvania, and in the case of Jerry Sandusky's victims specifically, none of that is in play.

Jurors have preconceived notions about how victims behave after an assault, where they go and who they tell, what they wear and look like, where they come from, and ultimately, who they are.

These misconceptions lead to a bias that can be impossible for prosecutors to overcome without assistance from an expert witness who knows the truth about victim responses to s@xual assault.

I would like to see Cnn do a piece on this specific point in PA's legal system
    And there's much more that PA doesn't protect their victims against

June 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Superman

Poke holes in what? Isn't that what jerry was doing this guy is disgusting

June 19, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Allister crowlley

Oh my children have returned to my world of fake reallity and the world of ME how I've missed you MARY and PHILLIPY so much i have prepared a place in my house of clumsy cards for you two i await for the next right that you do to contact me through darkness of hearts

June 19, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |