June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. say what?

are you kidding me? The parents are out for money? Um, I think perhaps the victims are the ones that will be receiving monies and I have NO problem with that whatsoever. These kids have been scarred for the rest of their lives. Heck, just looking at sandusky makes me want to call my therapist. I hope these kids (now grown ups) take Penn st. and Sandusky for everything, plus get an apology from ALL of them.

June 20, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Freddie

He's finished.

June 20, 2012 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. vp

bye Jerry, enjoy prison.

June 20, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jello

No matter which way the jury decides on each count, he's still got a very good shot at citing incompetent counsel. No thinking lawyer would allow their client to deal with the media, or at least not without themselves being right beside their client at all times. How a person can pass the bar lacking street smarts is beyond me.

June 20, 2012 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
    • mmi16

To cite incompetent council, you have to follow what the council recommended. If you chart your own path, without regard to the recomendations of council – you are on your own. I suspect Sandusky is charting his own path and disregarding council's recomendations.

June 20, 2012 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. nokoolaidcowboy

The tapes are the shocker?!? This whole story since it broke has been shocking. I cringe every time this story comes up.

June 20, 2012 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. mike

I think we need to have a public stoning victims 1st but the only part of this monster u can hit is his junk, everyother part of his body should be unscaved.

June 20, 2012 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. IronDuke

Just something about this wierdo when you either see a pic or a video on the news...he just don't look right and I don't think in his own sick mind...he thinks what he has been doing wrong..scarey....

June 20, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. IronDuke

Jerry to one of his kids "Every see a gladiator movie Jonnie? Ever seen a grown man naked?"

"Let's shower – we can talk later....remember, our secret, okay?"

June 20, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. JM

PSU Athletic facility is beginning to sound like the Michael Jackson house.

June 20, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Come out from your rock

How so? He was never convicted, and the last family that accused him were scam artist. THe other families took settlments instead of sending him to jail. Would you take money if someone put their hands on your children or put them in jail?

June 20, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter

WANTING to shower with his young teammates?

What else do you need to say?

Creepy.

June 20, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. ronjayaz

A complete embarrassment this trial. Still think the jurors will take a half hour to convict.

June 20, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bob

What he did was dead wrong, but putting him in Jail is not the answer...He needs some serious consulting ... 5 days a week....& dont tell me his wife didnt know what was going on..

June 20, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

In fact He Might Like Jail ( If you Know what I mean)

June 20, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • chefdugan

You're absolutely right – putting him in jail is not the answer. Hanging him is.

June 20, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Trish

His wife had to know. She should go to jail with him. Sad, is that so much of this goes on and folks turn a blind eye. At least in prison he will get what he gave.

June 20, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin Nivek

Bob – he needs some serious consulting? He needs a team of experts to come in and tell him how to better molest small children? Wow, that is some world you're living in.

June 20, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Marge

It is really disgusting the way he keeps downplaying all the disgusting crap that he did!!!!!!!!!! My sons played sports and the coaches NEVER showered with the players. Why does he think that is appropriate at all?????????????

June 20, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • concerned grandma

this man is very sick. he must be taken away from society and never allowed near children for the rest of his life. there is no cure for pedophiles. they only learn from their mistakes and become better at the horrors they do to children. they will do it to any child in their reach, it doesn't matter, friend, grandchild, anyone they feel will not tell and they have access to. they threaten the child with "i'll kill your pet, family etc. no one will believe you. it isn't hard to terrorize children. we read about these guys in the papers all the time, being out of jail before their whole sentence is served and they are at it again. won't we ever learn? there is no fixing this. once caught and found guilty they must be kept away from the rest of us, especially our children. look at etan patz, still no answer for his parents. what do you think happened to him??

June 20, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. dibsy

This needs to be over quick and this guy in jail for the rest of his days. Also, major compensation to these victims....not that this is going to right the huge damage already done.

June 20, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • babs

"major compensation to the victims"? Money will make it all better?

June 20, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
    • drny

No, Babs, try reading the rest of the comment, where it is clearly stated that money does not make it right.

June 20, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. a pimp named slickback

this is what happens in group showers, why schools have them i dont know.. you dont group shower at home, so why at school???

June 20, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ancarrow

Too bad this didn't happen in Shiner, Texas.

June 20, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |