June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. Siestasis

To top it all off his attorney is a pedophile. Google his attorney and his wife that he first represented at 16, then knocked up and married. Both are sick.

June 20, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Aaron

Can the left and right at least come together on this one and say this guy needs to be locked up for the rest of his natural born life?

June 20, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Southerner01

Only if his natural born life ends with a bullet through the skull!

June 20, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hector Davila

Perhaps Sandusky would be an "heroe" in ancient Greece. Remember the erastes-eromenos relationship!

June 20, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bob

Sandusky is a lying pedophile and so is his wife. She didn't know anything, while he's in the basement. She should go to jail also. The bottom line is how many people'd lives has he ruined.

June 20, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. TUG

"horsing around" is an insult to all horses

June 20, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. chefdugan

ANd you can add that excellent description to Paterno as well. What a coward that man was!

June 20, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gwats

He didn't give that angry, table pounding denial you would have heard from an innocent man. He is as guilty as hell, and he's going down.

June 20, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. ATLmatt

What a creepy, pervy monster...

June 20, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Casual Observer

Looks the The Second Mile" starts with the first 6 inches...

June 20, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sal A. Mander

"I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

Who amongst us has not showered with young boys on a daily basis? Heck my wife enjoys showering with the young girls in our neighborhood. Nothing to see here.....move along.

June 20, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mark DeSimone

Regardless of the story... each time I read the follow-up comments from the masses, I thank the gods that I'm not standing trial and facing a jury of any of you.. perfect, infallible and unstained as you are. And to think that each of you has the right to vote... gives me the shivers

June 20, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Seriously?

June 20, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • andrei

If you have the shivers maybe you should put your penn state sweater back on.

June 20, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Your choice of words revels you. "I thank the gods", you obviously worships the "gods" of this world, rather than "God" himself.

June 20, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Mel

Really? No one is saying that they are perfect, but I am betting that there are few among them that have done anything remotely close to what this monster has done.

June 20, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • J G

The only people defending this guy or Paterno are Penn State students. Given the environment around that college, I'm going to have a bias against all things Penn State going forward. Corruption, coverups, weak spines.. that's all I think about now when I think of Penn State. No way would I let my son go play there.

June 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melinda

The man all but flat out said he was guilty. I don't need a jury ot a law degree to understand or interpret what he said in his Bob Costas interview. If you want to place your faith in this pedophile, that's your business. Why don't you ask him to care for your son. too?

June 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • htpatty

People like you give me the shivers. Most adults never know when they're standing next to a pedophile, and when people take an argument against Pedophilia too personally I must wonder about them. In fact, "Me thinks you protest too much"!

June 21, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Thommy

I bet you think the Vatican is doing all it can to stop the abuse of alter boys too....

June 21, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Charles

Almost anyone in this situation would be in jail instead of house arrest. The justest department in this town cares more for football than children.

June 20, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

That's the evidence of "man" favoring 'their' god of victory 'statue', rather than a little boys life whos child abuse will cast a shadow the length of a lifetime.

June 20, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Safe in Texas

"justice"?

June 20, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. jacobsart

I say leave the NBC footage out. This isn't evidence or a confession, it's just an awkward post-accusation conversation. He was asked if he was attracted to young people and he gave a silly spinny response on his school-teacher-like appreciation of children. Is it being presented to show that he's a weird person? Believe me, plenty of people are weird. We don't need juries deciding that someone committed a crime based on the fact that they say stupid things. A trained client can tell a lie without saying something stupid. He was being candid, although not necessarily honest.

June 20, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Really?

Did that typo 'R' confuse you? Did you suddenly think Costas was talking to a completely different person? Sheesh!

June 20, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. ART

He admitted to it in his own words, there is a file of complaints compiled over many years, he was seen doing unnatural things with youg boys. He still might get off (no pun intended) because in our judicial system its all about having the best lawyers money can buy

June 20, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |