June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. zie22

This man has some serious problems! He needs to be locked up im sure the inmates will have a good time with him! For abusing kids.

June 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. surfdog

hang him

June 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. antwan

hi

June 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. darchd

Every word he says is the classic retort from a pedophile.

He honestly and truly does not think he did anything wrong, that he was just loving the children.

This man is a dangerous predator and needs to be locked up or quickly put down.

June 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. comingsoon

parasites are out in full force, peeing in their collective pants. they are right that their blood-sucking days are numbered, now that Assange's nuclear option will go Boom any minute!

June 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sachmo

"I enjoy young people", especially young boys. I connect with them kinda like man-to-man, only more like man-to-boy...OOooopppsss.

I do not believe anything JS says, those now men had to endure first the act by JS then the trial. To testify under oath at the pain and suffering they endured. I have not read or heard any news account of testimony that would remotely suggest that JS is not guilty.

June 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Penn State

This is just so damning. You gotta believe there were undercurrents and rumors floating around the AD's office for years....

June 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Timmytown

The amazing part – I don't think this man believes he's done anything wrong. He believes he was helping these kids, even while he was abusing them. Maybe he thought the help he gave them justified his actions, which is obviously sick and distorted.
    In my mind, I don't think it is possible that 8 or 10 or however many young men have come forward could conspire against him – not to mention they have no motive to do so....
    The man is the worst kind of criminal, he took advantage of needy children under the pretense that he was helping them. If there was ever a justification for the death penalty – he would qualify.

June 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lisa

Just getting away with it for so long. I'm sorry that I am prejudging, but I am. I feel especially sorry for the custodian that now is in a nursing home that saw what what was happening in the showers when it came to Sandusky and a boy and was too afraid for his job that he didn't say anything. Jerry Sandusky. Your pending conviction is what you deserve.

June 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dianne

Carrying one such incident to front page for weeks suits Americans well. The most paranoid nation of the world gets more paranoid by the minute. People already don't trust eachother in this country, a guy being nice to another guy is labeled gay, an adult being nice to a child is labeled pedophile. This is by far the worst culture in the world, and you are all working towards making it worse. Good job imbeciles, just keep it within your borders, do not export your ugly thoughts to the rest of the world through hollywood.. like the countless other negative things you contributed to humanity. Fast food, nuclear weapons, wild capitalism.. the world would be a better place without those things you are proud of.

June 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KE

Quit whining and go out and set a good example

June 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

The world would also be a better place without pedophiles. Take off your blinders, Dianne. Are you his wife or something?

June 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane2

So.... move to Saudi Arabia? Better yet China... where their idea of morality includes such beauts as letting children run over by vans lie in a busy road for 20 minutes, or forcing people to work inside metal presses while the machines operate, or burying elderly folks alive because a pair of drunken youngsters hit her and didn't want to admit it.

Come on, America doesn't have a monopoly on bad behavior.

June 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg Briggs

Wow Dianne – what have you done for the world other than spew hatred and look for the bad in everything?

June 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Let me guess – you are from Canada which is the most Left Wing, Liberal country in the world. No matter where you are from, I would suggest you post your naive rantings in your own country. If you happen to be from the U.S. your head is very deep in the sand!!! I would suggest you buy a one way ticket to anywhere but the U.S. You called us imbeciles – I guess we all know who the imbecile is!!! If you don't like this country then quit reading about us – dig your head deeper in the samn!!!

June 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • WOW!

Yes and raping children makes you a sick disgusting person. PLEASE do not tell me your even in the slightest notion defending this chester the molester??

June 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • NSyd

I work with many kids, I volunteered at libraries and read to kids when free. I never in a million years would shower with them. That is sick and disturbing. And anyone defending Sandusky besides his attorneys should be put to jail, when they hand down his conviction in a couple of days.

June 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • EB

Dianne – As is now obvious by the verdict, this guy wasn't "nice to kids." He took advantage of underpriviledged kids with dysfunctional home situations and he violated them, damning them to a life of undeserved shame and humiliation and the need for therapy to get past such horrible abuse. Among the things I could live without being plastered on the front pages (Snooki's pregnancy, for instance), this isn't one of them. Publicity of this trial can only do good. Other children who have been abused, who have been afraid to come forward, this will be good for them. They will feel validation, maybe even be able to find the strength to seek jusice against their abusers, to heal. I'm not sure what your beef is with the US but despite our failings, we are one of the greatest countries in the world. If that's not the truth, I wonder why there are so many people around the world, desperate to immigrate here?

June 23, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • J Walker

Eh bit of a broad brush? America has some screwy stuff going on but that comes with the territory. I like our free wheeling crazy openness. We've also been world innovators for generations. Got to take the good with the bad. When Bush II was president I did seriously look into moving to Canada, but that passed. Our crazy politicians are driving their bus over the cliff and i see hope for us once the lunatic generation dies off.

June 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Swag Master

There is always a lot of horsing around in the locker room. Those guys penetrate anything they can soap up. This is textbook football 101. Especially at Penn State.

June 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Prison

Lots of speculation out there whether the Penn State community will go easy on Jerry or nail him in an effort to clear their collective souls. I pray they take the later view....

June 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. sandiegobeachbum

This creep's defense attorneys say he has had a lifelong psychological disorder. WOW! That is such a revelation. I can't believe this cowardly, evil, sorry excuse of a human being has any such problems!! NOT! Of course he is close to being a total nutjob and should spend the rest of his miserable life in prison and I hope in the general population. He won't last long which will be a blessing for everyone. This animal knew exactly what he was doing and he a sicko in every sense of the word. I hope Penn State has to pay hundreds of millions of $$ to the INNOCENT victims because the Admin, Paterno and many other people with inside information did absolutely NOTHING to stop this terrible pedophile for years. Paterno is no leader in any sense of the word. Almighty football brings in way too much revenue for the jerks who knew what was going on to put an end to it because they were afraid of the negative impact to their precious football program. How utterly disgusting this entire situation is and it could have been stopped many years ago by Paterno and the PS Admin staff. Now I hope PS will have to pay $$ for their cover-up. It's only fair.

June 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mr. Ed

There was a lot of horsing around. 'Dusky is a patsy.

June 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. B. Switzer

Paterno is gone. Penn State will shut it's football program down. If not the entire university.

June 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jerry Pelletier

This Sandusky nonsense is old news!

June 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KE

Nonsense? Really? Ok lets just let hiim go and move on

June 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |