June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. Memarch

Where was his WIFE during all of this and why isn't she being held accountable for her silence? She knew what he was doing – sitting quietly upstairs while he brutalized young boys in the basement. It was obviously more important for her to keep living her lifestyle than to do the right thing and turn her monster husband in to the authorities.

June 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • anon

Everyone always assumes the wife knows. It's like society somehow has this subconscious thing going on where wives are expected to have some sort of psychic, mind reading abilities, or that she should be able to "sense" things. This womans extra sensory ability is a myth perpetruated by insecure women to make themselves look somehow larger then life. Like when a puffer fish inhales air to bloat up in order to not get eaten and look more intimidating. You do realize that don't you? She may very well NOT have known. Pedophiles have ways of sneaking around. One of their biggest fears is getting caught, and they can get very wary and creative about hiding it. A basement is usually underground and encased in concrete, and depending on the quality of his door, would make it very difficult to hear anything going on down there. If she had no evidence of her own, like bloody pants, or tear stained boys coming up the stairs, then WTH is up with you?

I don't recall anyone calling for the heads of the HUSBANDS of all the women teachers who were accused of messing around with boys. No one posting on various blogs even SUGGESTED that they may have known and done nothing. Why is that?

June 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

We had a basement, boys in our house. Showering with them was never an option. We didn't have to make rules that my husband wouldn't be alone with boys. The boys were always supervised by all of us parents. Anything else doesn't feel right to me.

June 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ginger

His wife knew....

June 20, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bman

This is where football worship leads you. Child molestation. Go Penn State to hell!

June 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. John

One evening in a USSR village an adult man was rumored to have touched a young boy inappropriately. Communist authorities were notified. The next morning the adult man was hanged in the village square. The adult man never inappropriately touched anyone again.

June 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. OPEN400

These children are victims and should be treated as such. What about the 15 American children living in poverty? When will we tell the story of these victims?

June 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Survivors

As a survivor, I can tell you first hand that these are exactly the things a pedophile says – a clasic is "I would never do anything to hurt you". I so admire these young men for coming forward to save others from this evil.

Get this trial over and burn this monster and his wife at the stake!!!!

June 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. DanW

I haven't eaten every hamburger that I've ever looked at, but I've eaten some of them.

June 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sunnysout

That's about what I thought, except in my analogy it was french fries!

June 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sail Frog 69

The wife was probably horsing around in the locker room with the defensive line.

June 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Frodger

What next from their defense team an insanity plea since 'Dusky has been doing boyz all his life. Can't wait to hear what his wife says on the stand now. Was it a blind eye Mrs. D? How do these folks sleep at night?

June 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. TOBEL

As a victim of child abuse, I can tell you that Sandusky's words are chillingly similar to my molester's. The man that abused me at the age of 13 told my parents that he wanted to be an "older brother" to me. He totally denied ever having done anything harmful to me, as if it never happened. He was known as a "good guy". A lot of people thought that Jeffrey Daumer was a "nice, quiet guy". And then there are the "nice" priests and "good" clergymen who have scarred children for life. "Good guys" can be sick, too.

Serial molesters don't molest every boy they come in contact with (some people have been testifying that Sandusky didn't touch them). They pick their victims carefully. They go for the loners, the passive ones, the quiet ones, the shy ones. They wait for their moment to strike. They are monsters in "nice guy" clothing.

Jerry Sandusky is a sick man who's been caught. This "nice guy" has done something REALLY bad for a long time and should be punished.

June 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deanna Wilson

A wolf in sheeps clothing all for the sake of freekin football. Save the college hurt the kids........Evil Evil man.

June 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • TN

Wait a minute. You've just diagnosed Sandusky as being SICK. But you concluded that he and/or sick people like him should be punished. I don't get it. Sick need to be cured, not punished. Although you are also a victim, please use your compassion for other human beings. Then you would understand how bad sick people's lives are even more screwed than yours.

June 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat Gatti

Beautifully described......thank-you.
      Let's hope your sincere words and qualified experience save at least a few victims from these perverts......and hopefully opens the eyes of others who refuse to accept the ugly truths about people in their own families and society.
      These predators are all too prevalent and need to be expunged!

June 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yo Mammy

Tobel – I am so sorry to hear of the traumatic events you endured. I hope you have found healing through it all. You are right, though. They don't prey on every single child. They try to see how they are. If they're outspoken, they will not harm them. But, the meek ones? Yeah, molesters prey on those every time. It's sick and sad.

June 19, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I am very sorry that happened to you. Pedophiles are opportunistic and selective. If it's been that bad always, or that we're just reading about it now because of the media. I am truly sorry. It's tough to get over.

June 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • J G

Sick people like Sandusky don't need to be cured. They need to put down. There are billions of people on this planet – why waste our resources on pedophiles that are 99% recidivists and can't be cured (despite your naive belief that the world is rosy and everybody can be cured). Just give them a drug while they're sleeping and send them off to the next world so we don't waste more of our money on a lost cause that has destroyed the lives of so many innocents. I swear some people would rather these people go on and hurt more children than be thought of as unwilling to help the sick.

June 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Richard

He walks in and out of court like he doesn't have a care in the world..

June 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Isis

Sorry Tobel, I feel for you.

June 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. melg

This guy is sick. At least he's not completely dishonest: "I enjoy young people."

June 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Chantel

Doesn't anyone believe this guy..? I mean, can everybody honestly just vote guilty if you were a juror, without a doubt in your mind..? No little voice in your head saying, "Well, maybe he really didn't do it.."..??? I honestly don't think this man did it..!! Don't you think its just a little strange how one person decided to wait soooo long to tell..? Or that it set off this "chain reaction" with everybody coming forward..????????? Or the fact that NONE of the "victims" can remember the exact date the molestation began..??? I mean come on, if your were reallyyyyy molested and even if you tried to make it the furthest thing for your mind, you could still at least remember the year.!!! Now, I'm not saying anybody's lying but.. There are a lot of holes in the "victims" stories... And I don't think Jerry Sandusky is a pedophile.

June 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • manyote

" There are a lot of holes in the "victims" stories... "

Maybe in the victims' stories. But remember that this occurred when these young men were boys. Most of them over ten years ago. But the adult witness testimony revealed some things that just can't be made up. I think he is a pedophile and guilty to the max. Sorry.

June 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • KE

I bet Jerry would love you on his Jury

June 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • martin

i'm sorry chantel, you are just not thinking clearly. no normal adult man showers with young boys. this is by his own admission. no, there is no "horsing around" naked with young boys. if you had a son would you be comfortable with this happening? young kids don't keep track of time, most adults couldn't tell you the exact day, month or year of the majority of events in their lives.

June 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat Gatti

Do you live in Disneyland......or are you the "Real" Peter Pan?

June 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Packman 1001

Jerry, I didn't know that you still had computer access while under house arrest?

June 19, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yo Mammy

Chantel – I'm here to tell you victims who block out traumatic events CAN forget dates. My son was one of them. He was little, and it was a peer. However, he couldn't remember if it happened one year ago, or two years ago. So, before you start writing about things you do not know about – really think about it. Do your research. Do something.

June 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShutYourPie

You sound like the kind of person who gets on the scale in the morning and the scale screams GET OFF!!! GET OFF!!! and say to yourself gee I lost weight...I guess your mind can't comprehend the obvious even if it slaps you in the face or screams at you eh?

June 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marcia J.

For real Chantel? Do you think these men made this up? Has it ever happened to you? If it did you wouldn't be so callous.

June 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Laraine L

In a wonderful college as Penn State, don't you think , if these accusations were true, this would have been taken care of at that time. GET REAL!! He is innocent! Let him go home & put this behind him!

June 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KE

And another one Jerry would love to have on the Jury.

June 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunnysout

Laraine- in a wonderful college as Penn State, don't you think , if these accusations were true, everyone would attempt to bury this forever? Oh, wait they tried. But crap like this always has a way of surfacing. It's what lets good rise over evil. And if ever there was evil it is Jerry Sandusky. What man of his position talks about 'horsing around' with young boys while in the shower? Nobody 'horses around' while butt naked in a public shower with young boys. And shame on any of those in a position to do something about this, but didn't.

June 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |