June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. George

His wife seems too complacent to not also be implicated.

June 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chaz

even ONE is too many dirtball

June 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mammy

What happened to the good ol' days, when trash like this was caught, they killed themselves out of shame and humiliation? People have no shame anymore. It's Obama's fault.

June 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Philip

Sandusky's bi se xual activities with younger males have been known of for nearly twenty years. Listen to all the folks blabbing...like munchkins drooling over the prospect of singing 'ding dong the witch is dead' once Sandusky is convicted.
    Over 1/2 of the Roman Catholic clergy are openly gay. What? Only perverted str8 men lust for tight young things? Get a clue.

June 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RX

So....wjhat is your point exactly? Seems to be blabbering on meaninglessly.

June 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • LB

Now you're implying that 1/2 of CP are peds? You need to get help, my man...you anti-gay bias is showing, and it ain't pretty. Every time I read something that you author, the figure goes up...I know of your history, but even so, you are starting to foam at the mouth a bit rabidly for your own good.
      I suggest showing your therapist these posts, and see if he doesn't agree.

June 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • PJ

You do realize that being Gay and being an Pedophile are two different behaviors???

June 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish IsADisease

By your reckoning – Catholic priests are responsible for MOST abuse, and it's because they're gay, right? That means that since Catholic priests are responsible for 0.7% of ALL abuse, the other 99.3% of abusers are Gay men.

And those filthy 99.3% of Gay men want to marry and "foster" children?????? And liberals are clamorin g to make it legal so they CAN? UGH!

June 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. johngoddard

Still do not think we will ever know the depth of this thing. How much did governor Tom Corbett, who, was State Attorney General for two terms during these episodes know? Why did that defense attorney disappear early in the case.? You know, the one who did not allow smoking in his car–but, cigarette butts were found on the passenger's side of his vehicle found abandoned near the Susquehanna River? I think Dottie is as guilty as he is--maybe even more so. And, JoePa dying so soon after this came out! Real coincidence don"t you agree? Yeh, lung cancer. If you believe that, I have some ocean view beach front property that I'd like to sell--in Montana! Thanks for listening to an old man's rants. jack at johngoddards@gmail.com..

June 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hope

Agree with that!

Dotti:

I know nothing, hear nothing, see nothing. And a sound-proof basement? Absolutely, not!

Her image and lifestyle meant more to her than any child, possibly, could!

June 19, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tw

shouldn't even showering and touching them be consider illegal? sandusky is such a clueless idiot. why would a grown man shower with children not his own?

June 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Oh my

You know society is in decline when they give a pedophile airtime, disgusting.

June 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ron

In his own mind mr.Sandusky has justified what happened with these young men as "harmless horseplay". He is a very sick
    individual and is a menace to society. But....he should not be the only one facing these charges. Others in the school knew about his sickness and idlely stood by and did nothing . One is already dead, but there are others who knew or suspected and did nothing. They will have to live with that memory.

June 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. tw

when is sandusky's version of horseplaying even consider ok? what a douchbag

June 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. stef24

Paterno may have never spoken to the pervert about this but I'd like to know if he ever told his sons/grandsons to never ever be alone with this monster.

June 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. jami

even prison they have standards. Inmates will not tolerate a child molester. The whole college should be closed down. There has been so many "incidents" that has happened to "coverup" this pervert. His wife should be put in prison too. It's such a shame so many lives were destroyed over this old perv

June 19, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. OPEN400

I still feel Joe Pa got a bad deal. The State College police should have handled this a long time ago. You can say cover up at Penn St, but the State College police serve the enitre city of State College. University Park is the actual campus itself with its own campus secruity. State College is the actual city. This should have been handled by the State College police in 1998 – long before the incident with McQuery which McQuery reported to Paterno. It is ugly to see a good man dragged down becuase of the incompetence of others.

June 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DavidLevinsn

OPEN400–The fact that the State College PD should have done something about Sandusky doesn't exonerate JoePa. Everyone who knew about Sandusky had a duty to take whatever action was necessary to stop that sicko. I don't konw how anyone can defend what JoePa did.

June 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jstic

The seriousness of this matter, coupled with Paterno's incredible popularity and power would have created a totally different outcome had Paterno chosen that route. He, like others, chose not to tarnish PSU over protecting these kids from a pedophile. Say or think what you want, he is no saint. One phone call by Paterno and Sandusky would have been stopped in his tracks more than a decade ago.

June 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ron

Very strange the didn't say or do anything about it then. Surely he had the chance to speak to the police if he wanted.

June 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duffey

JoPa dissappointed me. As the head coach he should have known. I presume he was not aware of the alleged crimes Jery was perpatrating against selected boys, but the buck stops at the top.

June 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • GatorALLin

...it is a shame his carer had to end on that note... shame that ultimate power has ultimate responsibility... shame that the older generations don't know how to handle some of these "shame" based problems...it was never talked about so it was never understood... so it was never dealt with... He did let this go own under his watch and maybe to protect the organization he loved so much...but ironically that protection was his downfall as well. In summary he is still responsible, it was still on his watch, this was a person he was supervising and the deed was brought to him and he LET it get pushed under the carpet. If this was his son in the shower would he have done the same thing..... even if so it was not OK. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. He made the wrong choice, his legacy and also the legacy of Penn state will always be mentioned with these crimes. At least that good can come out of this travesty.

June 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Willow

You're right, this went on far too long. The fact that it went on as long as it did is deplorable.

June 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Platofish

JoePa – by all accounts – was the man on PSU campus. Many, many times I've read 'nothing happened regarding the football team without Paterno's' ok. He could have – and should have – had Sandusky off campus. His standing in the football community is such that Sandusky would not been able to work around children ever again.

But he didn't.

It cuts both ways. Either he was a man of enormous influence, or he wasn't. If it was the former, his reputation is in tatters for turning a blind eye (I quote Paterno – 'I wish I had done more'.)

June 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish IsADisease

You're right. Joepa was scapegoated well and truly. He reported it to 2 people. one of whom was connected to the police. He followed protocol – THEY didn't.
      Having ignored what Joepa told them, they then let him take the blame for their lack of duty of care for children.

As a person who worked with Child Protection for 30 years I can tell you that you report what you're told to a higher authority [which Paterno did] then you LEAVE it . To talk to anyone else especially staff; victim or victims' family is to contamin ate evidence.

I say again, Paterno did what he had to do. He was hounded to death by the public kangaroo court.

June 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LB

Get a clue yourself and seek help.

June 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. DavidLevinsn

That interview is evidence of profoundly, almost pathalogically, bad judgment.

June 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jim

What makes you think the video excerpts will be introduced into evidence? The prosecution has rested, and the defense is presenting its case. The prosecutor's rebuttal case is limited under the rules of evidence, and new material cannot generally be brought it when it should have been in the case-in-chief. I will say this, though: if the jury is watching TV or reading media reports, maybe you can get this information to them through more underhanded ways. Or did you already do that?

June 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jstic

If Sandusky testifies, they can introduce just about anything he said at any time.

June 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |