June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. Glenda

I want to know why NBC edied this stuff out of their original interview? why did they hide this? What excuse have they given?

June 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hang-em-High

@ LB, Funny I was at the "Uniformed Afghans attack.." blog and saw someone posting as "Lady B"

June 19, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • LB

And...? I saw someone posting here once as Highmonster. Your point?

June 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. justaminit

No grown man who showers with adolescent boys, "horses around", gives naked bear hugs, is a saint and victim. This guy fits the description of a pedophile. Jerry the guardian angel? Please!!!! Now they are going to re-victimize the victims because of what a cop said to an attorney? Jerry needs to spend time in prison.

June 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • ComSenseWiz

Sanpedsky needs to have an unending number of Bubbas at the state pen ripping meat out of his poop chute and the sooner the better. His death certificate needs to read, "excessive throbber injections".

June 19, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. truth

gays are attracted to older man (legally). pedophiles to young boys (illegally) but if you stop to think about it.... they fall in the same category of pervertion and filth!

June 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

One could say that Nazis were Christians therefore all Christians are genocidal monsters that should be exterminated for the sake of humanity.

June 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ComSenseWiz

Is it computer access day at the ward or have you been reading too much fiction in the Bible?

June 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruhlmann

Do you stop and think about it...a lot? Sounds like you're flogging your own devils.

June 19, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd

You seem a model ofChristian charity. Bless you for making the world a better place

June 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Muhammad Khan

All I know there must be some thing which caused him in this trouble. Whether small or big. I will be upset to hear that coach having shower with my kids. I think this is enough to understand.........

Good luck Mr. Sandusky

June 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • ComSenseWiz

If I had a remote sniff Sanpedsky was showering with my kids he would be fish mulch.

June 19, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Truthsayer

I have a problem with all the sickos following every second of this trial like it's a storyline on a Daytime Drama. I think the media is sensationlizing the story and some of you people are enjoying it a little too much. Get a life.

June 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texana

Well, some of the media is behaving responsibly, but others such as NBC are not. Why did NBC bury this tape and not air it? This seems to be a pattern with NBC, being devious and unreliable. Just in the past few months, NBC has altered the meaning of the Zimmerman 911 tape, edited Mitt Romney's speech to change the meaning of his words by taking them out of context, and now this. NBC is totally corrupt. I want news, not distortions, but that is what NBC is becoming known for now.

June 19, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Renee Hayden

These young men will be scar for life why would anybody what to put there personal life out for the whole world to read about these r some brave young men comeing forward maybe now the healing process begin for them,unless u have walk in these boys shoes dont jugde them

June 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Moonraker

It's the Michael Jackson trial all over again. Hopefully this time the jurors aren't idiots. Then again, Michael Jackson was set free, OJ was set free, Casey Anthony was set free...I don't have a lot of faith despite Sandusky's obvious guilt.

June 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lisa

Our house was the house the boys came to, they were so taken by my husband. Boys in the neighborhood without dads. When it came to our son's friends, one father had died, the dads weren't present. It was a great time to be a mom. I would come home with a carload of groceries because our pantry was empty. I couldn't pull into my own driveway. Bikes all over the cul-de-sac. Soda cans all over the yard, the lawn mower upside down, bikes turned upside down. My husband was showing them how to fix their bikes and small motors. The way those boys looked at my husband, especially the boy whose father had passed away. He looked at my husband with adoration, sitting at his feet while they were watching sports, asking him questions, and they did 'horse around' pick the boys up wrestling, because that what boys do with their dad.

But showing with them was never a question. Neither was being with them alone. I have seen healthy between fatherless boys and a father figure. Jerry Sandusky went far past that and I hope he goes to jail for a long time.

June 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. john

His wife is just as guilty as he is!

June 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TOBEL

Someone begged the question, "Why did the victims wait so long to come forward?". I'm 60 years old and, to this day. have never told anyone in my family about what happened to me. Shame is a very powerful emotion. You have to applaud these kids who came forward. The bravery it takes to tell one individual about any kind of abuse is enormous. To go public...to say what has been done to you to the world....well...there are no words.

June 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

There are no words. I will never understand why this went on for so long, why someone had to call his father before the police when he saw a crime. Everything that happened was that sick.

June 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bambam

he "retires" in 1999.. that makes him 55.. from a team that is known as 'linebacker U' ..yes his defense.. yet he gets no other offers from other schools... it just doesnt fit .. if he loved coaching .. why ?? no other job offers ?? they all knew...

June 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Coach Lew

Poor, poor, poor Jerry. He didn't get to talk to his eleven grandchildren. My, my, that is terrible. This guy is a shrewd piece of work. His wife is even more shrewd. If the justice department lets these charges fall through the crack then look out boys, all the weird coaches will be stalking and promising you rose gardens and they will quote the results of the Sandusky trial as their justification.

June 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. captain gay pants

this is turning into a nail biter.

June 19, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. walkthetalk

Jerry go bye bye now like Father McFeeley did when he got caught and after his nearly dozen of victims decided to go to trial.

June 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |