June 19th, 2012

What Sandusky has said about child rape allegations

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on trial this week on child rape allegations  has made many public comments about the case, including that while he may have "horsed around" with boys, he's innocent of the charges.

The comments came in the months before the trial - including a newly released, previously un-aired excerpt from a November NBC interview in which he said, while explaining that he had helped many young people through a charity he founded, that he "didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped."

The trial began last week with the testimony of eight men who accuse him of sexually abusing them when they were boys. Over four days, several testified that Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts with him in various places, including showers in the Penn State coaches' locker room, hotel rooms and the basement of his home.

Sandusky, who has pleaded not guilty, has admitted showering with boys some of whom he allegedly met through the charity he created for underprivileged children but denies the child-sex accusations.

Here is what Sandusky has said publicly in the months before the trial:

Aired portions of NBC interview: I 'horsed around,' but am innocent

On November 14 days after a graphic 23-page grand jury report detailing some of the allegations was released Sandusky told NBC's Bob Costas in a phone interview that he was "innocent" of the charges and claimed that the only thing he did wrong was having "showered with those kids."

“I say that I am innocent of those charges,” Sandusky told Costas during the interview, which was aired on NBC's "Rock Center With Brian Williams."

Costas pressed. "Innocent? Completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect?" Costas said.

Sandusky responded: “I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have touched their leg - without intent of sexual contact.”

Costas also asked: "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"

Sandusky repeated the question, paused, and responded, "No. I enjoy young people."

Asked if then-head football coach Joe Paterno had ever spoken to him about his behavior or expressed disapproval, Sandustry said simply, "No."

See a timeline of the allegations

Sandusky also flatly denied a specific allegation that then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a young boy in 2002 in a Penn State locker room shower area. Sandusky said instead that he and the boy were in the shower, "snapping towels" and engaging in horseplay.

And asked if he felt guilty over the fallout that has affected the university and prominent university figures including Paterno, who was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Sandusky responded, "I don't think it was my fault. I obviously played a part in this ... I shouldn't have showered with those kids. That's what hits me the most."

New excerpt: I didn't 'seek out every young person for sexual needs'

In June, NBC reported that the prosecution had subpeoneaed a previously unaired portion of Costas' November interview with Sandusky.

Here is a transcript of that excerpt:

Costas: "So it’s entirely possible that you could have helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable, while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn’t that possible?"

Sandusky: “Well, you might think that. I don’t know. In terms of my relationship with so many, many young people, I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life.

“And I didn’t go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I’ve helped. There are many that I didn’t have hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways.”

It's not clear whether the excerpt will be played for jurors.

New York Times interview: Trying to clarify position toward youths

In an interview with The New York Times published December 3, Sandusky attempted to clarify how he feels about his relationships with young people.

"If I say, 'No, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth," Sandusky said. "Because I'm attracted to young people - boys, girls - I ..."

His lawyer, who was present at the interview, spoke up at that point to note that Sandusky is "not sexually" attracted to them.

"Right. I enjoy, that's what I was trying to say, I enjoy spending time with young people. I enjoy spending time with people," Sandusky continued. "I mean my two favorite groups are the elderly and the young."

According to the Times story, Sandusky stressed that he and Paterno never discussed the allegations of sexual misconduct.

"I don't know that he didn't know," he told the newspaper. "I know that he never said anything to me. I know that."

The Times interview with Sandusky honed in on two separate allegations of misconduct in 1998 and 2002.

When Sandusky retired in December 1999, an investigation of his alleged actions a year before had never been made public, but were later detailed in the grand jury's report.

Sandusky told the Times that Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director at the time, confronted him about the alleged misconduct.

"He was concerned about it," he told the newspaper. "He was coming to me with a concern because, in his words, somebody had talked to him about inappropriate behavior in the shower."

Sandusky said he responded by saying "it didn't happen."

"In my mind, there wasn't inappropriate behavior," he said.

The former coach said Curley then told him that "he didn't want me to bring kids (into university facilities) and work them out anymore," according to the interview.

But, he told the Times, Curley never commandeered his keys to the facility.

"And I still went in there and worked out," the former coach said.

The four-hour interview was conducted at the home of his lawyer over two days, where he insisted that his decades of work with troubled youths as part of his charity the Second Mile had been "twisted" by prosecutors.

"They've taken everything that I ever did for any young person and twisted it to say that my motives were sexual or whatever," Sandusky said. "I had kid after kid after kid who might say I was a father figure. And they just twisted that all."

February: Sandusky objects to house arrest restrictions

On February 10, Sandusky publicly objected to some of the restrictions of his house arrest while he awaited trial. Those restrictions included no contact with his 11 grandchildren.

After attending a court hearing seeking relief from those restrictions, Sandusky addressed reporters.

"Friends who call me and who want to be with me, who want to see me, and I have to say, 'No, I can’t,' and they ask why," Sandusky said. "So I asked (my attorney Joe Amendola) why, and that’s why he brought it up.

"Or when I had a wife who came home after visiting with grandchildren, or was sitting there when grandchildren call (on) my birthday and they asked to talk to me, and she has to tell them that they can’t, I’m sensitive to that. Or when she comes home from visiting with grandchildren and tells me that one of them said that, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Pop,' I’m sensitive to that. And that’s why I came today."

A judge later ruled that Sandusky could visit with some of his grandchildren. The judge also ruled that Sandusky would be allowed to have visits from adult friends and to leave his home for meetings with attorneys and private investigators aiding in his defense, provided that a probation coordinator approved.

Post by: ,
Filed under: College football • Courts • Crime • Jerry Sandusky • Justice • Penn State • Pennsylvania
  1. walkthetalk

Dottie, Denial isn't just a basement in your house.

June 19, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. gwats

I'd make the World's best plea bargain right now, and stay OFF the stand.

June 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. justanobserver

This child abuse thing seems to be a white thing eh? You can fill this whole page with white male names and still could go on....the catholic presists....even their women are into this deviant thing. 100% of school teachers arrested for fooling around with students are white. I rest my case. It seems like their creative/technological brain development sadly has also left them also with these types of needs. Just like how Asians are good at Math but that makes them bad drivers.

June 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenda

where are you getting your statistics? It's a proven fact that 86% of all statistics quoted are made up on the spot

June 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeebus

Oh no you didn't!

June 19, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • neuron2003

I live in Manhattan and have the misfortune to occasionally drive through Flushing, Queens ("Chinatown" in Queens, but actually Koreatown). Unfortunately– because I am usually pretty leftish and unbigoted– the Asian remark is spot on. I have to up my defensive driving quotient 10 fold when maneuvering through Flushing.

June 19, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Child predators are not exclusively white or black. I was molested by a black YMCA counselor.

June 20, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. bubba

That this guy continues to plead innocense after 8 different boys have testified....is a total insult to those 8 brave boys (for coming forward) and to society in general. How stupid does he think we all are?! There is no penalty severe enough for him. I hope the judge gives him the very maximum penalty he can give. What a disgusting human being this Sandusky is!!!

June 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. A Random Girl

June 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LookWithin

That's exactly it. He talks about not doing anything wrong. More like – he's delusional and doesn't think this is wrong. This is so typical of pedophiles – deep down, they really don't think it's wrong – so there's nothing for them to feel bad about.

June 19, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • DogBitez

A Random Girl: "I didn't read much of the article (too long for my tastes), but something doesn't seem right about him. I don't like his answers, it's like he's trying to validate what he did to himself or something."

Hey, I'm totally with you. There's a lot that isn't "okay" about Sandusky. Personally, based on all that I've read (as much as I find online), it sure sounds like this guy deserves to spend the rest of his life behind bars. I'm open to being proved wrong, of course. But what bothers me now is that you're basing an opinion after having NOT read the full CNN article. That's lazy and dangerous. Go back... spend the extra couple of minutes to read the full article and THEN post a comment. I'm sure you'll have the same opinion, but c'mon... pull up your big girl pants and read THE WHOLE ARTICLE first, then post.

June 20, 2012 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. bubba

So I guess if 200 boys came forward and testified against Sandusky – he and his lawyer would still say it just isn't true! How in the hell can this man live with himself?!

June 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • YoungMarine

In his mind he didnt do anything wrong

June 20, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. nl

Mr. Cosby?

June 19, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. PhilG

This man is a classic pedophile. He has virtually admitted to abusing these kids. And why in the world would they humiliate themselves by testifying against this guy if the allegations weren't true. I hope the jury can leave PSU behind them long enough to convict this monster and put him where he belongs. Then, he'll find out what it's like to "shower with the boys."

June 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Lisa

Anon, I understand, but at our house we had a basement that was used for storage. It wasn't a soundproof bedroom for what was going on downstairs. And my kid and the kids coming into our house were always supervised. Do you see that this might have been a problem when it came to Jerry Sandusky?

June 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. SSampson

Why the heck didn't NBC play that portion of the interview – I can't think of ANY news agency that wouldn't drool over that kind of meat... and there is absolutely NO news agency that I can think of that would let this stuff get cut... So I am curious....

Maybe I'll finish reading the article and find out – hehe

June 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. WHAT???

The man had an eyewitness who saw him penetrating a boy in the butt!!! What do you call that????

June 20, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • slimshady

he slipped in the wet shower?

June 20, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • wmskadder

It's people like you who hpefully, never, ever sit on a jury. Youv'e concluded guilt even before all the facts are found..What studpidiy comes from your mouth has never even been proven. I am not defending the man, just trying to set your stupid ass straight. Innocent until proven guilty by ones peers. Unfortunatley, the media press are a bunch of lame brains who determine the outcome before it occurrs with their own brand of justice, mob justice. The butt matter is speculation at this point in time, is not conclusive. I hate child molestors, but the let the system work before you condemn someone. Remeber this, you might find yourself in a particular situation, or a loved one, a friend, etc. and I'm sure you would not want or like the feeling of everyone finding you guilty before you had your chance to defend yourself. Showering with someone does not make you a molester. As an adult, I'm sure you have allowed your kids to sleep in your bed, that does not make you a child molester. We have to put a stop to the news media trying people and expressing a verdict before a fair trial. They are biased, ala the Sacramento Bee.

June 20, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jay

NBC tried not to give this pervert to much of a platform. He just hung himself with what he said during this interview.

June 20, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • vm45

a good journalist should always allow you to answer their questions as fully as you choose to. and its always a wonderful thing that criminals are stupid. let him talk himself silly i say.

June 20, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jay

Delusional and still knows right from wrong. He did not care.

June 20, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Brian

Some of these football coaches look like Neanderthals.

June 20, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. funkatellic

He didn't do it to all of the kids... that's his defense?
    He really doesn't get it.

June 20, 2012 at 2:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Southerner01

That's how I read it. He needs to be locked away or shot.

June 20, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |