Jerry Sandusky, 68, a former coach with the Penn State football program, was convicted June 22 on 45 of 48 counts related to sexual abuse of boys. One of his attorneys has announced plans to appeal. The timeline below is taken from a grand jury report (PDF).
1994-1997 – Sandusky allegedly engages in inappropriate conduct with three boys he met separately through the Second Mile program, a charity for at-risk kids that he founded. One boy was 7 or 8, another was 10, and the third was 12 or 13 at the time.
1998 – Penn State police and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare investigate an incident in which the mother of an 11-year-old boy reports Sandusky had showered with her son.
June 1, 1998 – Sandusky is interviewed and admits showering naked with the boy, saying it was wrong and promising not to do it again. The district attorney advises investigators that no charges will be filed, and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed.
June 1999 – Sandusky retires from Penn State after coaching there for 32 years. He receives emeritus status, with full access to the campus and football facilities.
2000 – Sandusky allegedly showers with a young boy and tries to touch his genitals during overnight stays at the coach's home, according to the now 24-year-old man's testimony.
2000 – James Calhoun, a janitor at Penn State, tells his supervisor and another janitor that he saw Sandusky sexually abusing a boy in the Lasch Building showers. No one reports the incident to university officials or law enforcement.
March 2, 2002 – Graduate assistant Mike McQueary tells Coach Joe Paterno that on March 1, 2002, he witnessed the apparent rape of a 10-year-old boy by Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers at Penn State. On May 7, 2012, prosecutors file court documents to change the date of the alleged assault to on or around February 9, 2001.
March 3, 2002 – Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley. Later, McQueary meets with Curley and Gary Schultz, senior vice president for finance and business. McQueary testifies that he told Curley and Schultz that he saw Sandusky and the boy engaged in anal sex. Curley and Schultz testify they were not told of such an allegation. Instead, Curley said he had the impression the conduct amounted to "horsing around." Schultz said he couldn't remember details. Sandusky's locker room keys are confiscated, and the incident is reported to the Second Mile, but no law enforcement investigation is launched.
2005 or 2006 – Sandusky allegedly befriends another Second Mile participant whose allegations form the foundation of the multiyear grand jury investigation.
2006 or 2007 – Sandusky allegedly begins to spend more time with the boy, taking him to sporting events and giving him gifts. During this period, Sandusky allegedly performs oral sex on the boy more than 20 times, and the boy performs oral sex on him once.
2008 – The boy breaks off contact with Sandusky. Later, his mother calls her son's high school to report her son had been sexually assaulted and the principal bars Sandusky from campus and reports the incident to police. The ensuing investigation reveals 118 calls from Sandusky's home and cell phone numbers to the boy's home.
November 2008 – Sandusky informs the Second Mile that he is under investigation, and he is removed from all program activities involving children, according to the group.