Facebook pulls location-tracking feature
The 'Find Friends Nearby' feature aimed to help Facebook users make new contacts.
June 26th, 2012

Facebook pulls location-tracking feature

Following a period of freak-out on the Internet on Monday, Facebook appears to have pulled a controversial feature that let the social network's users get a digital list of other Facebookers nearby.

The "Find Friends Nearby" feature was not accessible in a CNN test on Tuesday morning, and other media outlets, including CNET, reported that Facebook had pulled the service.

In a statement e-mailed to CNN, a Facebook spokeswoman declined to elaborate.

"This wasn't a formal release - this was something that a few engineers were testing," the spokeswoman wrote. "With all tests, some get released as full products, others don't. Nothing more to say on this for now - we'll communicate to everyone when there is something to say."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Facebook
  1. G. Zeus™

Bound to happen one way or the other sooner or later.
    The ability to track is an invasion of privacy that hardly ever has an "opt-in" aspect and rarely an "opt-out" provision.
    We should be able to buy phones that have no tracking ability at all. They went with testing this without asking if anyone really wants this or needs this.
    It's like having a mandatory nostril-cam to see if your neighbors have trimmed their nose hairs. Disgusting.

June 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

like that analogy...my nose was itching me...wunder if im gettin some money today...or does that mean it's gonna rain...

June 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • G. Zeus™

Maybe that isn't your nose.
      Does your nose run and your feet smell? Oh no you're built upside down!

June 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "The Lunatic Fringe"

I've got 2 thought provoking comments about Facebook in CNN's Moderator Cache, that they'll refuse to post.
    What are you afraid of? A "flash mob"?

June 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Piers Morgan, Supervillain

Oh I wish you were the real Mark Zuckerman so we could tell you how much you s u c k. How's your stock price Marky? Betcha wish you could have dumped all your shares on the poor schmoes out there at the IPO price, huh?
    The real Mark F uckerman is busy plotting more ways to pillage and plunder his users.

June 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Facebook has no value at all.
    Bite me, Zuckerman.
    Sure, keep up your little guinea pig applications.
    The IPO failed because FB, just like My Space, will not stand the test of time.

June 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Piers Morgan, Supervillain

Amen

June 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Faux Thelma Lou Brickmore:
    G f y a g u.

June 26, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "The Lunatic Fringe"

Facebook puts America right there, where they want it to be...bent over thier bed.
    Facebook is the new exchange rate standard for the global economy.
    Like real money for example? The kind you work very hard for, or for some peoples cases, suffer for it? They want real money for virtual Farmville coins (don't tell me you never heard of that)? Or real money for virtual money for things like 21 questions, to find out the answers to questions some dirtbag said about you?
    So Mr. Suckerberg? When I deleted my account, it kinda sorta looks like the jokes on you..this time.

June 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "The Lunatic Fringe"

Facebook's true Modus Operendi probably will be a direct link into into your debit or share draft account, to charge you $14.99/ a month or whatever, for a virtual big nothing, using "your friends" as ammo to play on your sympathy, to give in and pay that.
    When I deleted my account? The so called friends I did have, even after six months of being gone, nobody called the house, to ask what happened to me? I never got any emails...nothing. That's kinda cool when I think about it. So when the day comes I have to depart my loved ones (not by choice), I won't have to worry about them mulling over a stupid web page. I don't want them crying and crap.

June 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Allan

Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "The Lunatic Fringe"

What are you afraid of? A "flash mob"?

I agree with Jeff. LOL

AH @
    GunVets.com

June 27, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gigi

Facebook also needs to get rid of the feature see where your friends have been. Its nobodys business what articles your reading or what websites you ve been to. I am cancelling my facebook account. Facebook is too damn intrusive.

June 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. josh rogen

if only pedophiles could be tracked this easily.

June 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |