Overheard on CNN.com: Health care law a 'necessary evil'
A supporter of the health care law cheers upon learning the Supreme Court upheld it.
June 28th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Health care law a 'necessary evil'

On June 28, the Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act in a 5-4 ruling. In the hours after, CNN’s audience was incredibly active in expressing their opinions on the decision.

Some CNN commenters and iReport contributors had personal stories to share:

roaringwoman
As a cancer survivor… my life would have been over without health insurance. It's a necessary evil, but without it, hospitals would be closing their doors, and people would be dying. And don't blame Obama or any other political force because the insurance monster has been around for a long, long, time ruling patients, doctors and hospitals.

Amelia
If you own a vehicle you are required to have it insured. If you don't you pay fines...I don't see the big deal, if they make it affordable I would jump at the chance to insure my family. I work for an attorney, and since it is a small firm, he does not offer insurance.

Natfka
I have 62 employees currently, and since I will be mandated to provide healthcare, I have two options now: Cut deeply into the pockets of the company, myself and its employees, or cut my staffing down to 49 people so as to not hit that 50 person benchmark for mandatory coverage. So 13 people are gone, or 62 (plus myself) take cuts in vacation and or pay raises. I have not made the decision yet, but I won't let my company and all of its employees take such a big hit.

iReport assignment: Your reaction to health care ruling

darb123
As a person with a pre-existing condition that was hereditary, I am glad. Maybe [now] I can purchase insurance. No insurance company will insure me. I have to use my state Medicare-type program. I don't mind paying at all. I still pay for my own prescriptions to the tune of $200 a month. I had no choice a few months back when I had gotten extremely ill and had to go to a regular local hospital. I stayed overnight and the cost was $6,000. Not an Obama fan either!

Many readers pointed out the potential benefits of the law’s implementation:

c_apples
Most of you that have a problem with health care reform have no issues paying your Social Security and Medicare taxes on your paycheck. In fact, I'm sure the majority is counting down the days until they can take advantage of the Social Security and Medicare they have paid into. How is this health care as a tax any different?

flannelgal
People against this law have chosen to limit where they get their information about this law. Currently, when a person who has no insurance requires emergency care, tax payers pay for it, and the [federal] debt mounts. Now, all least the coffers will be replenished by all people, and all people get health care, preventative health care to boot. Thank you, President Obama, and everyone who worked hard to make this happen for all Americans.

Leeford68
I don’t like being forced to pay for wars I don’t want.
I don’t like being forced to pay for roads I don’t drive on.
I don’t like being forced to pay for schools when I don’t have kids....
But I accept the fact that I have to pay for all of these things that create a better community for all of us to live in.

Obama: Supreme Court ruling on health care a victory for all Americans

Derrick

I would be willing to pay more out of my paycheck to help fund others’ health expenses but not too much, obviously. Society works best when the least fortunate are uplifted instead of isolated and abandoned. Like most thinking Americans, I don't think this law is perfect... but at least it's something to build upon.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some readers passionately denounced the court’s decision:

Dug
Why is it that even though I work and can barely afford the cost of living, I [must] be taxed further? I acknowledge that there are people who want to “help” those that are “less” fortunate. Good for you - why don't we take out more money from your paychecks? But what about the people like me who, despite actually working, will not be able to afford this increase in my taxes? Sorry if I'm not a humanitarian and feel like helping out people on welfare...even more.

James
As we near the day that represents freedom, the modern America has now dishonored the very foundation that Founding Fathers and those who risked their lives by signing the Declaration as well as those who have fought and died for freedom with this decision. Freedom is about "free choice" without government demands. If I work, drive a car, or own property, I must pay a tax or have insurance. I can choose to not work, drive a car or own property. If required to have healthcare or have to pay "a tax," what other choice do I have?

TiaMaria
Our freedom to choose a medical plan (or even to not have a medical plan) is being taken away from us. At least – that is my personal feeling. I don't appreciate the government telling me what I have to do – it opens the door for precedence to take other of my freedoms away.

Some commented on the judges and how they came to the decision:

MekensehParty
I think very, very few people commenting here have a better judgment than the nine best constitutional experts in the world. I trust these nine more than I trust any president. They discussed the law in every aspect and came to a conclusion by a democratic vote. Regardless of the outcome, another great day for the country.

como1
So now using the "tax" loophole the government can make “we the people” buy anything they want us to buy. The next question: Since health care is ruled a tax, is it deductible?

M. Edward
The Supreme Court has in the past been accused by most democrats and particularly liberals as "right wing" conservative. However, with this decision today regarding the Affordable [Care Act], it has shown that perhaps at least Chief Justice Roberts has acted in a bipartisan way… and in doing so, he has given hope that future rulings will remain bipartisan. It's time for the country to reward elected members of Congress, both present and future, not for their party affiliation, but their desire to work for all Americans.

These readers zeroed in on the money:

ObamaluvsCNN
I hope someone figures out if Obamacare is going to cost us or save us money in the long run. I've heard arguments for both sides, and so I still don't know what it is going to do economically. But bottom line, I don't trust the government. They can't even run Social Security, Medicaid or Medicare.

melpomane
I still believe that this law is immoral in placing the cost of care on the backs of today's young. While the students cheered, they must have missed the fact that the removal of a risk-based policy means that their youth and health are now irrelevant to the cost of their insurance. Combined with an aging population and the retirement of the baby boomers — and the disparity of income between the young and the mature — the percentage their income requires for health care will skyrocket. To me, this is another attempt of the aged to take the cost of their comfort and health from their children.

guest43
Interesting that for two years proponents, including President Obama and the Solicitor General, argued vehemently that the mandate was not a tax on people (to sell the idea), but was allowable under the Commerce Clause. The Supreme Court concluded the opposite in upholding the mandate. One wonders what public support would be like if it proponents [had] called it a tax increase the entire time. Would it have passed?

Many weighed in on the ruling’s impact on the political arena:

scmaize
Both parties play games and try to prevent the administration of the other party from accomplishing anything to help the country. They want to have the other party voted out in the next election. The greatest disservice either party has done to this nation is convincing most Americans that our ruinously expensive, unfair and inefficient healthcare system didn't need reform. The plan that was passed is very similar to the one the Republicans wanted when we had a Republican president. It does need improvement, and, in a more perfect world, both parties would work together for the good of our citizens. Too bad we don't live in a more perfect world.

kfarley1130
As a true independent, I think everyone just needs to calm down until we see how this works out. Don't believe the over-hype on the left or the doomsday declarations of the right. If this law works out great, then a lot of politicians will have to eat crow. If it takes us down a path to disaster, then a lot of politicians will lose their jobs, and this will be repealed. It's not the end of the world.

What do you think about the Supreme Court’s decision about Obamacare? Do you have a personal experience that has shaped your thoughts on the controversial new healthcare plan? Sound off in the comments section below or via iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Health Care • Health care reform
  1. Holder's Girl

Where is there a mandate for abortions??? I don't know of ANY insurance company that pays for it now...how idiotic...how uniformed...stuff and nonsence...hysteria talking....what next? Deny treatment to HIV positive patients? Quit talkin out yer behind...

June 28, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dan

Obama compares this to car insurance???...WRONG... car insurance costs are based fairly on risk (the young pay MORE for car ins. because they are high risk)...but for health insurance, the young are being FORCED to overpay their fair share in order to keep the costs down for old people...please vote obama OUT!!!

June 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I think they have bronze, silver and gold choices. Each gets higher and more. I guess we all shall see.

June 29, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicholas

actually they can be very much linked together. You drive a faster car you pay more and most states you require you to have insurance. You eat like crap expect you to pay more. See simple 😀

June 30, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. CostMore

Anyone who thinks this will lower costs is completely out of touch.
    Just look at what the stock market told us today....ALL the organizations that provide health services went UP in value, and ALL organizations that pay for it (insurance companies) had their stock values go DOWN. Clearly those most closely involved can see Obamacare will INCREASE the cost of healthcare. When will we learn??????

June 28, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Kitty

well rather than steal monies through war-mongering they are gonna steal through the healthcare...guess haliburton gonna haftah open up a new division....

June 28, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Still waitinig

I am still waiting for America to really look at this bill. We have managed to fight two wars at the same time and yet we quibble about everyone having the opportunity to be insured. We are not immortal and therefore, we all have pre-existing conditions! You or your employer(if they are still offering it) pay these companies millions of dollars each year.
    Yet, they can deny you help when you need it. the companies took the jobs overseas, not one Congress person objected, yet we pay for them and their families to have what, they are now threatening to repel! Please, let's stop fighting ourselves... the world is watching us dissolve and waiting to pick up the pieces!!

June 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George Villa

It would have being nice if we would't have to pay more taxes. We, home owners are paying more and more taxes and is a never end. in 1900 we had only 7 taxes, now we have hundreds. Supporting millions of illegals and borrowing billions from the chinese for no reason. This will be the end of America and this beautifull land. Mr Obama you will be never forgotten neither forgiven. It is right you are not American.

June 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. FifthGeneration

I saw nothing in the provisions that apply to our household. What of an adult who has no income, & is not qualified for MediCare because she chose to be responsible enough not to become a mother while still in HS. Our adult daughter needs the care, but, because of the combination of her medical situation & the current economy, she has no income, whatever. She's not young enough to qualify on our insurance, either, and we fear that it may disappear, shortly, if the company my spouse works for has to close. Everyone in the company is uneasy, for that very real possibility.

June 29, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • phunk

There is a provision specifically designed for your situation. Its the state insurance exchanges. They will be a market place, where free market (there you go righties, FREE MARKET) demand should (in theory) lower the cost dramatically for you or your daughter to obtain independant insurance. Instead of you being an individual purchaser, you will now be a group with others in your state, thus giving a similar group discount to what you currently enjoy though your husbands employer. And why don't you or your daughter just get a job? Don't say the economy, in August ill be starting my third new job in as manyu years (by choice, moving into higher salaries each time) and my gf who was just laid off got a new, better paying and still ft job less then four days later. The jobs are out there, you and your daughter aren't looking.

June 29, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. ronvan

There are just to many problems and to many unanswered questions! How many of US, have life insurance? Whole or Term? If you have term life insurance and you look, most of them drop you around age 85! WHY is it that we can watch TV and listen to all the ads about medicine, that is sooooo good for US, and it takes the ads more time to explain the "side effects", some of which lead to death! WHY should I and my family have to shell out money for those that do not want health insurance? WHY is it that we hear about these medical people flying all over the world to help "those poor people", and we have the SAME conditions here? WHY, WHY, WHY???

June 29, 2012 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ancient Texan

THe comparison to being forced to carry car insurance, thus health insurance doesn't make sense. In my state the only auto insurance I'm forced to carry is liability insurance. That will protect YOU if I run into you in my car but doesn't protect ME. NO comparison.

June 29, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I disagree with your assuming we do not pay for the uninsured. Who pays the now 49 billion in fees at our emergency rooms? We do in higher premiums. This bill is also to cut fraudulent use of meds and streamline the medical field by not letting doctors do dual testing. This is to save us money.

June 29, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

In Missouri you pay uninsured motorist premium, just in case someone hits you that does not have insurance.

June 29, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat

In this country, you don't even have to own a car. No car no car insurance. You have to get Obama's insurance. This idiot is just planning to overload the system and ruin the economy ever more. That is his agenda. Get rid of the middle class.

June 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lars

Second stage will be mandated screenings, DNA catalogue, biometrics on everyone, mandated treatments, mandated medications (its good for you, take your pill of pay a tax).

June 29, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Parker

If there is going to be a tax it should be on the following: Fast food industry, Soft drink industry (for sugar based drinks). These two are major, major contributors to diabetes which we have been told is 35%+ of US total medical cost (including $s for medecine and treatment). They (the companies) will raise the price to offset the tax and hopefully this will drive down consumption, thus over time lowering medical cost overall. Several states have tried to do this but have been stopped by heavy lobbying activity.

June 29, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. SP

Whatever happened to our right to refuse treatment?

June 29, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

You can refuse treatment, you will just have to pay a fine to not to have insurance. So you rather get cancer and die from it than pay insurance? We already pay for people who refuse or cannot pay to the tune of 49 million. Also if you do not make over 15,000 you will be put on medicare system. There will be less people hitting up the emergency rooms and left for real emergencies.

June 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. MAYBE

Likening the individual mandate to needing to carry car insurance DOES make sense. Some have pointed out that they are only required to carry liability insurance, protecting the other driver in the case of a collision. That is exactly what the individual mandate does. When someone without insurance has a terrible accident, that person WILL show up at the emergency room and WILL be treated. They will then get a medical bill that they cannot pay. Eventually the cost of treatment will fall on taxpayers. This is a wasteful system. Just look at the amount that countries with universal coverage pay per capita to treat ALL of their citizens. It is LESS than the US pays to NOT treat all citizens. We've let this go on long enough, and we are sicker and poorer for it.

June 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. SMILEandWave

I dont believe in taking care of others who are physically and mentally fit to take care of themselves but lack the will power to do so. This bill i dont fully understand but for the middle class american.... HOw the ... does this help us out? When im old? Thats what my 401k and kids are for! This whole nation is going down hill. I thought our taxes already went to People that sit at home for a living? Any more taxes and the middle class will be called the working poor. It seems like every year the middle class shrinks by thousands and most of the middle class are going poor..... America.... please wake up and notice the back bone of the nation is the middle class!

June 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SMILEandWave

does anyone have a both side of the story comment? I want to know what this bill is really about but everywhere you go its different and over biased?

June 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. PaulC

You can choose to not own a car or drive but you cannot choose to not get sick or injured.
    If you don' have insurance or money the taxpayer is stuck with your bill so..............be a good citizen and have insurance.
    You pay for social security and medicare as a given so this helps close the gap for the current uninsured.

June 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |