Overheard on CNN.com: Health care law a 'necessary evil'
A supporter of the health care law cheers upon learning the Supreme Court upheld it.
June 28th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Health care law a 'necessary evil'

On June 28, the Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act in a 5-4 ruling. In the hours after, CNN’s audience was incredibly active in expressing their opinions on the decision.

Some CNN commenters and iReport contributors had personal stories to share:

roaringwoman
As a cancer survivor… my life would have been over without health insurance. It's a necessary evil, but without it, hospitals would be closing their doors, and people would be dying. And don't blame Obama or any other political force because the insurance monster has been around for a long, long, time ruling patients, doctors and hospitals.

Amelia
If you own a vehicle you are required to have it insured. If you don't you pay fines...I don't see the big deal, if they make it affordable I would jump at the chance to insure my family. I work for an attorney, and since it is a small firm, he does not offer insurance.

Natfka
I have 62 employees currently, and since I will be mandated to provide healthcare, I have two options now: Cut deeply into the pockets of the company, myself and its employees, or cut my staffing down to 49 people so as to not hit that 50 person benchmark for mandatory coverage. So 13 people are gone, or 62 (plus myself) take cuts in vacation and or pay raises. I have not made the decision yet, but I won't let my company and all of its employees take such a big hit.

iReport assignment: Your reaction to health care ruling

darb123
As a person with a pre-existing condition that was hereditary, I am glad. Maybe [now] I can purchase insurance. No insurance company will insure me. I have to use my state Medicare-type program. I don't mind paying at all. I still pay for my own prescriptions to the tune of $200 a month. I had no choice a few months back when I had gotten extremely ill and had to go to a regular local hospital. I stayed overnight and the cost was $6,000. Not an Obama fan either!

Many readers pointed out the potential benefits of the law’s implementation:

c_apples
Most of you that have a problem with health care reform have no issues paying your Social Security and Medicare taxes on your paycheck. In fact, I'm sure the majority is counting down the days until they can take advantage of the Social Security and Medicare they have paid into. How is this health care as a tax any different?

flannelgal
People against this law have chosen to limit where they get their information about this law. Currently, when a person who has no insurance requires emergency care, tax payers pay for it, and the [federal] debt mounts. Now, all least the coffers will be replenished by all people, and all people get health care, preventative health care to boot. Thank you, President Obama, and everyone who worked hard to make this happen for all Americans.

Leeford68
I don’t like being forced to pay for wars I don’t want.
I don’t like being forced to pay for roads I don’t drive on.
I don’t like being forced to pay for schools when I don’t have kids....
But I accept the fact that I have to pay for all of these things that create a better community for all of us to live in.

Obama: Supreme Court ruling on health care a victory for all Americans

Derrick

I would be willing to pay more out of my paycheck to help fund others’ health expenses but not too much, obviously. Society works best when the least fortunate are uplifted instead of isolated and abandoned. Like most thinking Americans, I don't think this law is perfect... but at least it's something to build upon.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some readers passionately denounced the court’s decision:

Dug
Why is it that even though I work and can barely afford the cost of living, I [must] be taxed further? I acknowledge that there are people who want to “help” those that are “less” fortunate. Good for you - why don't we take out more money from your paychecks? But what about the people like me who, despite actually working, will not be able to afford this increase in my taxes? Sorry if I'm not a humanitarian and feel like helping out people on welfare...even more.

James
As we near the day that represents freedom, the modern America has now dishonored the very foundation that Founding Fathers and those who risked their lives by signing the Declaration as well as those who have fought and died for freedom with this decision. Freedom is about "free choice" without government demands. If I work, drive a car, or own property, I must pay a tax or have insurance. I can choose to not work, drive a car or own property. If required to have healthcare or have to pay "a tax," what other choice do I have?

TiaMaria
Our freedom to choose a medical plan (or even to not have a medical plan) is being taken away from us. At least – that is my personal feeling. I don't appreciate the government telling me what I have to do – it opens the door for precedence to take other of my freedoms away.

Some commented on the judges and how they came to the decision:

MekensehParty
I think very, very few people commenting here have a better judgment than the nine best constitutional experts in the world. I trust these nine more than I trust any president. They discussed the law in every aspect and came to a conclusion by a democratic vote. Regardless of the outcome, another great day for the country.

como1
So now using the "tax" loophole the government can make “we the people” buy anything they want us to buy. The next question: Since health care is ruled a tax, is it deductible?

M. Edward
The Supreme Court has in the past been accused by most democrats and particularly liberals as "right wing" conservative. However, with this decision today regarding the Affordable [Care Act], it has shown that perhaps at least Chief Justice Roberts has acted in a bipartisan way… and in doing so, he has given hope that future rulings will remain bipartisan. It's time for the country to reward elected members of Congress, both present and future, not for their party affiliation, but their desire to work for all Americans.

These readers zeroed in on the money:

ObamaluvsCNN
I hope someone figures out if Obamacare is going to cost us or save us money in the long run. I've heard arguments for both sides, and so I still don't know what it is going to do economically. But bottom line, I don't trust the government. They can't even run Social Security, Medicaid or Medicare.

melpomane
I still believe that this law is immoral in placing the cost of care on the backs of today's young. While the students cheered, they must have missed the fact that the removal of a risk-based policy means that their youth and health are now irrelevant to the cost of their insurance. Combined with an aging population and the retirement of the baby boomers — and the disparity of income between the young and the mature — the percentage their income requires for health care will skyrocket. To me, this is another attempt of the aged to take the cost of their comfort and health from their children.

guest43
Interesting that for two years proponents, including President Obama and the Solicitor General, argued vehemently that the mandate was not a tax on people (to sell the idea), but was allowable under the Commerce Clause. The Supreme Court concluded the opposite in upholding the mandate. One wonders what public support would be like if it proponents [had] called it a tax increase the entire time. Would it have passed?

Many weighed in on the ruling’s impact on the political arena:

scmaize
Both parties play games and try to prevent the administration of the other party from accomplishing anything to help the country. They want to have the other party voted out in the next election. The greatest disservice either party has done to this nation is convincing most Americans that our ruinously expensive, unfair and inefficient healthcare system didn't need reform. The plan that was passed is very similar to the one the Republicans wanted when we had a Republican president. It does need improvement, and, in a more perfect world, both parties would work together for the good of our citizens. Too bad we don't live in a more perfect world.

kfarley1130
As a true independent, I think everyone just needs to calm down until we see how this works out. Don't believe the over-hype on the left or the doomsday declarations of the right. If this law works out great, then a lot of politicians will have to eat crow. If it takes us down a path to disaster, then a lot of politicians will lose their jobs, and this will be repealed. It's not the end of the world.

What do you think about the Supreme Court’s decision about Obamacare? Do you have a personal experience that has shaped your thoughts on the controversial new healthcare plan? Sound off in the comments section below or via iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Health Care • Health care reform
  1. SMILEandWave

My picture of a good citizen is a person who has a family, has stepped up to the plate, works for almost minimum wage, Doesnt complain bout their job or pay, works hard to make ends meet, and doesnt have a voice in this country.....aka the middle class working male and female.

June 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. This is Weak

Republicans convert over to the light side, and recieve a free hotel stay at Bush's Ranch

June 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Middle class

Our country is getting lazy and it Killing me. What happen to you are an individual and you create your own future? You get what you give.... you work hard, study, Be selfless......... Noone is willing to work for this country anymore. America ..... home of the handouts.

June 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

The big 1% decided to outsource, take inflated CEO jobs, make us pay for it, and fleece us.

June 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renee

Explain How making people pay for health care is a handout. I for one am happy they are finally going to make these free loaders pay for something.

June 29, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kat

The middle class are the ones who are going to hit in the pocketbook. My husband is going to lose his health insurance in January, and we don't qualify for Obamacare. We are going to pay for others to receive healthcare, and we can't afford private insurance. I have a pre-excisting condition myself. I have high blood pressure whicih is hereditary and no thyroid. I can't afford private insurance. We lose our health care, and it is going to be given to someone. We have worked our entire lives, and I have 3 small children too. They won't be eligible for anything. We get penalized if we don't have health insurance. My husband might as well quit his job.

June 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sk madison

I don't understand... I thought Obamacare was a law, not a health insurance policy. And how does quiting your job help. Will you be going with public assistance and food stamps.

June 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pamela

hbp is not hereditary, lifestyle is! educate yourself and start eating right.

June 30, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • hhn

Dont let your favoritetalk show hosts hijack your brain. What is wrong with asking everyone to participate? Middle class won't disappear from it. Middle class is disappearing because the rich are given more tax cuts to spur jobs and they make record profits and spur jobs in China. That is why the middle class is down. I am sure your talk show host would not tell you that.

June 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • hhn

Kat,
      If your husband looses his job it is most likely because the company has found cheaper ways of doign things and is replaced. Most likely by a fellow from Bangalore if he is information area or by Mr. Chan from China if he is in manufacturing. Going by the stock market, his comany has done well. When this happens typically you go without insurence and dont follow up for your BP which can become chronic cardiovascular or other disorders. But you will not go to a doctor because you dont have insurence. Obamacare cannot prevent your husbad from loosing his job. But if this happens heand you will have insurence and your preexisting condition will not be held against you. You will go to a doctor and get your bp checked and monitored. But hey, looks like Rush Limbaugh told you this is not god for you. Who am I to tell you? I am just a physician.

June 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JustWho

Another forum had a question about WHO is going to treat the millions now included. Wrong. Most are being treated on a walk in trip and NOT now paying for the treatment.

June 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

We need more educated doctors, nurses, and hospital staff, yay more jobs.

June 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hey Hamsta

You're paying for it NOW, Hamsta. Now we don't have to pay for YOU, either! YOU get to pay for you OWN healthcare! Yep, the one that was patterned after MA's ROMNEYCARE! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

June 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mickleson colorado

Melpomane: "To me, this is another attempt of the aged to take the cost of their comfort and health from their children."

You must be young and illinformed. Life happens like this...you are born, if you live, you become a teenager. If you live through that you become a young inexperienced adult. If you live through that, you become an individual who is in their 30's and 40's with 1.8 to 3.2 children. If you live through that you become a middle-aged 50 something and your kids go to college and work. Then you become 62-100, if you live to this, this is where YOU become, "another attempt of the aged to take the cost of their comfort and health from their children." All of this is your life which was made possible by...your parents and grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, girlfriend, boyfriend, cousins, neighbors, colleagues, employer, etc. etc.

If you do not like this life that you see, change it. Run for student council, commissioner, planning and zoning, board of trustee, senator, congressman/woman, or if you choose not to do this, there is always the option of you moving to a different part of the world such as Darfur, Ethiopia, North Korea, Iran, or China hey, the commununist/dictorship policies in these countries are phenomenal.

MikCO

June 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Beautiful!!!
      Thank you!

June 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rascal Rabble

hhs mandate is crazy...proceeding with dollars without regulating the medical market: providers and suppliers, goods and drug companies...disaster awaiting to happen...

June 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fred37ify

Now is not the time to raise taxes on working Americans ->Barrack Obama ! And then he passed the most massive tax increase in America's history !

June 29, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Clark

This is nowhere near the largest tax increase in history; that is pure misinformation from the far right. The penalty starts out at just $95. Furthermore, you don't even pay the tax penalty if you just buy an insurance policy. Who in their right mind would not want to have health insurance? Only the freeloaders who expect to go the emergency room and get care for free. The "mandate" and penalty are small efforts to get people to take responsibility for their own inevitable health expenses.

July 3, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Brian

First of all, let me say that I'm so elated and totally surprised with the verdict. I have newfound respect for the Court and it's Chief Justice. I'm still not totally satisfied with the law as it doesn't go far enough towards universal healthcare but it's a start. I still continue to be totally amazed at the level of hypocrisy that emanates from the law's opponents. OK, I can see being upset with the verdict but to call it the end of our country and of freedom--please get a grip! What's wrong with helping out our fellow Americans who are less fortunate-talk about being cold-hearted! I know it's not nice to gloat but I must say I have been doing a lot of it the last few days and so love watching opponents of the ruling feeling so down!

June 30, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

I haven't been following this issue, but this morning I received an email about the very subject. So far as I've read, Obama just gave Romney a big ole barrel full of amo in which to blow Obama out of the water with. What fool would vote to re-elect Obama now? Not me, and I don't even vote anymore... Why would I participate in mans way as oppose to Gods way.

June 30, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dan

I keep reading and hearing people complaining that their small business with 50-100 employees will now be required to offer health insurance, and because of this they will have to cut pay, or lay off workers to get under the threshold (companies with 50 or more employees are now required to offer health insurance).

Let me ask you this...

What made you think it was okay to have a company with that many uninsured employees to begin with?

This is the stark contrast facing America today.

What is more important? Your bottom line? Or the welfare of the human beings that make your company succeed?

June 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • hhn

Amen!! Republicans want it both ways. They dont like homeless not paying tax and they dont like Enron paying tax. Now they dont like Obama asking people to step up and increase coverage. I think what they dont like is the messenger and they dont pay attention to the message.

June 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. suzy

A big mistake...Time will prove it. I can't believe this is happening.

June 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dana

Money, it will take money to save more money. The emergency room is being abused as it is not your personal preferred provider.
    What we need is to saturate the states with clinics, run by a medical director staffed by a couple of doctors a few PA's and nurses and such. This absolutely cut costs, save time and resources then maybe healthcare will become affordable, faster than the 15 hours it takes at the emergency room and maybe just maybe the quality of care will rise.

June 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Megamimi

SCOTUS dug deep and found a way to rationalize a mandate by calling it a tax, when the administration under whose watch continues to disavow it as a tax. This law and the subsequent SCOTUS decision is a sham from start to finish. I hope that it is litigated again based upon the designation of tax in light of the disavowal of the same. And I hope that come January 2013 the whole thing is repealed by a conservative Senate and House signed off by newly elected President Romney.

June 30, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |