June 30th, 2012

Will 2012 be the hottest summer on record?

Nearly 52 record-high temperatures for 2012 have been reached in the past seven days, according to CNN meteorologist Sean Morris.

Summer has definitely arrived in the United States with record-breaking temperatures soaring into the triple digits, and relief is slow to follow. The sizzling heat may not subside for a week, possibly longer.

From Kansas to Washington, heat warnings, watches and advisories spanned 730,000 square miles, affecting about 100 million people on Friday alone.

Excessive heat warnings were posted for 12 states, from Nebraska to New Jersey, on Friday by the National Weather Service.

As fierce thunderstorms battered their way across the Midwest to the Atlantic Seaboard on Friday night, the wicked weather caused mass power outages, leaving residents to suffer the heat without air conditioning.

Deaths possibly related to the heat are still being investigated. People are checking on their neighbors, and cities are putting cooling centers into place and extending pool hours.

The temperatures soaring above 100 degrees are nowhere near normal for this time of year in the United States, Morris said.

But we've experienced hideously hot ones before the dog days of summer officially set in before.

Last year - which was declared the hottest summer on record  in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana and New Mexico by The Weather Channel - featured some wicked days.

In its list of all-time record highs, The Weather Channel reported that Childress, Texas, climbed to 117 degrees on June 26 last year, beating any temperature on record for any month, dating back to 1893.

Borger, Texas, and Gage, Oklahoma, both hit 113 degrees on June 26, while Fort Smith, Arkansas, hit 115 degrees on August 3.

If the temperatures are climbing dangerously high in your city, be sure to check our five tips to survive extreme heat.

How are you beating the heat in your area? Let us know in the comments below.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Heat • Weather
  1. Greek American

I left Michigan this past Wednesday and came down to Miami on business for a few days. Now I am hearing that it is hotter there than what the weather is here. Go to Florida to escape the heat in Michigan? Never thought I would hear those words. Hahaha.

June 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fernace

Hilarious, Greek American! My family got reports last year of record high temps from our Grandmom in Norway! It was a trip to compare levels of heat between Texas & Scandinavia! Like you, I Never would have thunk it!!

June 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hang Some Blankets

Hang some Black or Dark Blue blankets over the windows, and fire up the A/C. Invite over your friends with no A/C and break out the Monopoly board and ice cream sandwiches.

June 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dazzle ©

@bobcat(in a hat) this is just great and so true. I was walking out to my pool and my barefeet stuck to the pool decking. Ouch! Hope you are well and keeping cool. I promise not to complain about the heat!

June 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

@ dazzle©

This heat is miserable. Hope you didn't blister your feet. We went down to Grand Isle in Louisiana one time and they have black sand there. I thought the white sands got hot. It was like walking on hot coals. Never went back.

June 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ¬©

@bobcat(in a hat), you called it as someone who would know, I did blister my left foot. I jumped into the pool immediately and snipped a piece of an aloe plant off to help out. Even pool decking called cool decking doesn't work in this inferno. When we were young, we used to go to Grand Isle Beach but I doubt its the same any more after Katrina.

June 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ little mister

That's just a past tense term. Kinda like thinked.

June 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CenTexan©

Hi Bobcat...it's only 90 degrees here in central Texas right this minute....what the heck is going on??? LOL

June 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

@ CenTexan©

Hey to you. It's kicking about 98 degrees here right now. The humidity is so high you could just about swim through it.
      You say it's "only" 90 over there ? With that kind of cold front, I figgered you'd be hauling out your long handles.

June 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Krichmond

Can't wait for fall!

June 30, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

I don't know it it's the hottest on record; a couple of years ago it was pretty steamy here.
    I don't know if it was the whole country though.
    I remember bc(iah), CenTexan and fernace talking about this last September...did it ever cool down for you guys?

June 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • CenTexan¬©

Hi banasy! Yes, we finally cooled down here in central texas about the middle of October. Las summer was ABSOLUTELY the worst I can remember here. This summer is starting out much better...now if we can just get a little rain in here.
      Well...I'm heading out to the movies...talk to you guys later!

June 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Have fun...sure was nice sharing this 3 second moment with you...lmao!

June 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pdxjb

Still waiting for summer to begin in Portland. Coldest June in 20 years, and 3rd wettest June in Portland history. Cloudy all the time. 67 degrees at 2:45pm.

June 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

I'll trade with you.

June 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

@Rawr:
      Lol...

@Pdxjb:
      We had that kind of "summer" a few years ago; it never did get really war.
      We used our pool maybe twice that summer.

June 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ¬©

@banasy

war?
      Huh..
      Good God y'all
      What is it good for
      absolutely nothin

June 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Ah, dearest BOMBO.
      Glad I could make you think of a classic song with my classic forgetting to finish a word...lol...

July 1, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

There is more than heat to consider.
    My home state has recieved 18% of usual rainfall over the past 2 years, also record breaking heat wave, fires, etc.
    Why.
    Because it takes water longer to evaporate in the shade. (of man's pollution)
    Pan-evap rates have been altered by you and me. Evaporating water is the engine that drives our weather. Other considerations are mere accessories.
    Global warming is natural, slower evaporating water isn't.

June 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

"Hottest summer on record" that only goes back 5,000 years. (how far back written history goes) Go back another billion, and you see that God didn't make the earth in a matter of days as some twist the bible to read.
    Go back another billion or two and you will find hotter weather. Recent melting snow and ice has revealed giant forrests of ancient trees far north of where modern trees can't grow, for example.
    Has anyone a better explanation?

June 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

Hey centexan, I'm in ATx, where you at? We've had many cloudy days w/promise of rain (where is it?), which cools the place down some, but I'm hearing rumblings of "brownouts" if it get's hotter! Last year was incredible, w/record heat & record fires! Feeling Colorado's pain! Hey to banasy, rawr, chrissy, & yw, for the fun word, little mister! I think it's Tx, (southern?) slang!!

June 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • CenTexan¬©

Hi fernace.... I'm north east of ATX a little. Could not believe how pleasant it was today. Now, if we could get alittle of precip they keep talking about!

June 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@fernace:
    Hey, you!
    Nah, it's not a TX thang, I've said 'thunk' before, and I am no southern belle...lol....

June 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herkimer Schwartz

But Thelma Lou Brickmore is.

June 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Hello fernace, i seem to keep missing you. History class was never my strongsuit, so when i see it startin up i do the old dodge and run! Lmao.

June 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

Will 2012 be the hottest summer on record?

Lets see:

Hot weather + permissive society = young women in skimpy clothing

So to answer the question, YES I certainly hope so.

June 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |