Who calls the shots on abortion laws?
A new law may force Mississippi's only abortion clinic to shutter its doors.
July 1st, 2012

Who calls the shots on abortion laws?

A new state law may force the closure of Mississippi’s only abortion clinic.

Politicians who signed off on the law say it is needed to help provide safe conditions for Mississippi women who seek abortions. On the other side, many are concerned about the state of women’s health care and the role of religion in the decision.

On Facebook and on CNN.com, debate has sprung up on all sides about the motivation and implications of the law the could make Mississippi America’s first abortion-free state.

The role of religion

Starece McNeal Westheimer We have freedom of religion........why can't we have freedom FROM religion

Paul Firszt There is a separation of church and state for a reason. If you do not like abortions don't get one. BY trying to make everyone abide by your morals you turn our democracy into a theocracy.

Robert Buchanan Just because one does not believe in abortion, does not make one a "fanatic".

Richard Askew I hope they do (abortion is bad you think GOD would approve killing his children no he wouldn't he will strike you for it but then again he would forgive you because he forgives everyone) GOD BLESS hope it passes

Personal choice versus personal responsibility

Rich Gettle I'm glad they would close. What's sick is the attitude of some of these people on here. U have sex, there are consequences, like being a parent. Suck it up and be responsible

Lisa Rondeau That is wrong! This is not the stone age, it is our choice!

Brad Pennison ‎@ lisa. what if your mom made that choice

Victoria Hammond If you are going to have sex at all, THEN BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENCES. It's a sticky subject because of different situations.

What about women's rights?

Anna Marie It just sucks to be a woman all the way around. Nobody wants to get an abortion but sometimes , there is no other choice. Especially in a society that faults you for having an abortion, then faults you for being on welfare if you cannot independently take care of it. Adoption unfortunately is for caucasian babies. All other races are very hard to adopt out. Sometimes a woman cannot bear to bring the baby full term because they are in terrible circumstances at the time of gestation.

Robin R Robin anna...there's always choice...it's called birth control...and abstinence ... Adoption...etc

Tammy Britton Women of Mississippi if the men take this right away from you they will take others. You have the power to stop it. Plus the next state is just hours away.

Daniel McDowell how about the rights of the unborn child? you know, life...

What happens now?

Cristy Mccauley Well, they will find more dead babies is trash cans now. More 15 year girls on trial (for) murder. Truth is, if they don't want to have a baby, they will find other ways to kill it or themselves ... Horrible ways. Why is this an issue for the courts in the first place? If people just raised kids the right way, there would be no use for these clinics in the first place.

Education as prevention

Earl Snider If you have no intention of educating young women AND men on how destructive an unwanted pregnancy can be to a young woman's life, then you have no business infringing on the life-changing decision that is being made. Spend your time and money reducing the the number of unwanted pregnancies and the abortion issue will become moot.

The role of the parents

7ruthere  Laws requiring "parental consent if the patient seeking an abortion is a minor." OH NO! you poor poor women! Every surgery or operation needs parental consent if on a minor, the fact that people think abortions should be an exception blows my mind.

endapathy  It's a touchy subject sometimes. If the baby is the result of the rape of a parent, close family member, or close family friend, some kids can't look to their parents to talk about it/gain consent.

What's right for Mississippi?

Caleb Christman good! thank god for STATES RIGHTS! want an abortion? fine. go to louisiana or alabama. if mississippians vote for the law, that's what mississippians want in THEIR state. are you people to use your own argument against you, are you so selfish you want to run others lives? let mississippi do what they want and if you don't like it, there are 49 other states w abortion clinics to choose from.

William R. Hunter Just a heads up, not all of us down here agree with this. Adding into the unemployment. Pathetic isn't it?

Glenda Moore If the people of Mississippi don't like it then they can vote these idiots out of office. Get out there...get involved...bring out the voters. Funny how the GOP are always talking freedoms but then take it away.

Compiled by the CNN.com moderation staff. Some comments edited for length or clarity.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics • U.S.
  1. Metallica

"I killed my baby today! Doesn't matter much to me as long as its dead!"

July 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

It was your mass of cells that you killed and not a baby. However it was your body and your decision so none of my business. That is for you and your God to talk about, I will stay out of it as I wish everyone would. .

July 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj

great song by Metallica! Demented as heck but if a woman wants to chop her fetus up then they can certainly write a song about it

July 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish IsADisease

Dott – How old are you ? Did you never study science? I can't believe you refer to a zygote as a "few cells" ....... "like, er lumped together"........."not a baby ,uh, a thing"

Ask ANY Foetologist who doesn't support abortion when life begins. They will tell you that it's at CONCEPTION.

You're repeating the trash that – "It's just a bunch of cells" abortionists tell people to "help them make "right decision" and that it's THEIR choice! Yeah right! They tell you that rubbish because – Abortions cost $300+ each................ 1.5 Million abortions in America = $500 MILLION a year for abortionists!

Of COURSE they're not going to tell stupid people like you the truth. But YOU believe it anyway!

July 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rascal Rabble

good riddance...it seems law and state are gettin' along just fine...toomie...lol

July 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rascal Rabble

i guess it is an insult to good doctors who rather heal than kill babies..

July 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lux et Veritas

A fetus is not a baby. The ridiculous part about it is the abuse that single mothers often get. That babies life is so precious until it's born.
      If the religious right are so concerned with preserving life – what are they doing to help the 1000s of children that die of starvation every day. Then there are gun safety, drug safety, road safety, drunk driving, etc. that would all preserve life.

July 2, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

And how can they heal a women with an ectopic pregnancy (a developing fetus in the fallopian tube) if all abortion is illegal? Guess they can just send that woman home with a string of rosary beads and tell her to pray that when her fallopian tube ruptures, she is able to get to a hospital before she hemmorages to death.

July 3, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rosie

Well, you (most at least) wouldnt kill yourself or someone else regardless of what they did to you, why on earth should you be allowed to kill someone inside of you that hasn't done anything?
    Sure keep letting woman get abortions, so they can continue to live irresponsibly?
    People have them for many reasons, but most times it is so they can go on living their day to day without anything interfering with that. Having a child forces a person to grow up, how awful... and when they refuse, we have laws for that too.
    As for all of those people who hate the religious aspect of it, too bad, this nation was "created under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all!" I know lots would love to ignore that. And freedom of religion is not the same as freedom from religion, that was so you could worship God in the religion and manner you see fit, I.e. to be a Protestant or a Catholic. Certainly not athiests, devil worshipers, or witches– Salem Witch Trials anyone....hmmmm.

July 1, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

It is not a someone that is inside, it is a cluster of cells, no more then a tumor. By the time it is a someone, (late term), you cannot abort. This is a Christian based law, said and disgusting. And for note, if someone as much as punched me, ya i would kill them.

July 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

Rosie you are welcome to your thoughts on the matter and all I have to say is If you don't want an abortion then don't get one. A woman with no help supporting her many children should definitely head for the nearest abortion clinic if she finds herself pregnant by mistake. If done in the first tri-mester there is nothing there but a fertilized egg or just a blob of tissue. It is legal and I pray will always be so. Again if you don't want an abortion then don't have one. OK?

July 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

A few weeks ago people were shouting "government intrusion" & "it's my body, I decide what goes in it", over the "Soda War"! Bloomberg & later, Henrietta Davis proposed to legislate how much soda we can drink, under the premise of fighting obesity! A ridiculous "solution" & clearly "govt. over-reach"! Now include a wand in your most private area & dismantling of womens health clinics if they dare breathe the word, abortion! This is a Private decision between a woman & whoever else's council she chooses to listen to! It is not the whole nations business! God will punish you- the womans decision; It's a baby- womans decision; Many other options-womans decision;Practice abstinence-private decision, & on & on! Those who think they're saving the unborn, I truly wish people were so concerned w/those babies who are already born & suffer starvation & abuse, here & globally! They are actually in need of help! Finally, if my mom had aborted me, I would never know that, would I! & I would support her decision!!

July 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

Pipe down, Uncle Sam, we all love our burgers and pizza.

July 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dott

One thing that I just can't understand. Why is it that people want to tell another person what to do with their body? As far as abortion goes – it is my body, my egg that was accidently fertilized so it is my business what I do about it. Of course people will bring God into the equasion but if it was God's will then women get pregnant They would the old fashing way and not have to use a petri dish. People get over yourself – women will never again be forced to a back woods abortionist instead relieve themselves of an unwanted pregancy safe and may I add legal.

July 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dott

Oh yes another thought. Why is it the party that insists a woman give birth to an unwanted baby is the same party that resents having to help support it once here. They are gainst school lunches, baby care for working mom's, medical care and etc. Why is that?

July 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • OH! I Know, I Know!!!

Because they are people who do not give a darn about a person once they are born? Bevause they are hypocrits? Because they are GOB rabidogs? All of the above?

July 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. OH! I Know, I Know!!!

POLITI TIANS who cheat on their wives? Or all men who won't take resposibility? BOTH? Yeah, that's what I thought.

July 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Coat Hangars R Us"

Why is it always Mississippi. Bloggers don't ever seem to have problems with abortions. They just simply depress the "DEL" key.

July 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dazzle ©

Of course most bloggers are going off the rail here but do you really want government in your body and your bedroom?Roe v Wade is still in effect. A woman seeking an abortion has only their conscience to concern themselves with. 20 years ago, I found myself pregnant with twins. My partner and I took every precaution necessary but we decided to go through with the birth of our children. 9 months later our twins came to us, one a healthy baby girl and the other a stillborn baby boy. At least I had the chance to hold my dead baby boy in my arms and he was perfect except his lungs were not developed. My daughter is now a healthy and beautiful 20 year old and I hope if she ever had to make a choice should she become pregnant, the government would stay out of her body.

July 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

@dazzle
    If two people really love each other, and I do mean unconditionally, then it doesn't matter what others (especially the government) think. You are prepared for most, if not for any contingency.
    If you truely care, you realize there is not one 100% safe method of birth control anyways. Welcome to the real world. I can tell you've made sacrifice. More than these slam bam thank you mam types.

July 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Wow @ Jeff Franks, that was a truly awesome post and not at all what i expected you to say! Im impressed! And with everything going on in this country why are these fools revisiting these things at all? Take care of current problems i say!

July 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

"Some of these bureaucrats have thier heads way up inside, and I mean really stuck up, in to where they know not how to break free."
    Truer words were never spoken...

July 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SoldierOfConscience

No amount of protection for unborn children is enough.

July 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Unfortunately, it's after the baby is born that no one gives a flying fig about.

July 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

They are not children, they are a lump of cells. One they are born, the same people who are anti abortion are against all firm of government assistance. The go p from top to bottom are evil hypocrites.

July 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |