Overheard on CNN.com: 'It's not the heat, it's the stupidity'
Residents crowd onto the beach at Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, in the powerful heat on Saturday.
July 3rd, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: 'It's not the heat, it's the stupidity'

Surging mercury and power outages because of storms have combined forces to make many readers miserable.

With temperatures around 107 degrees in Nashville, iReporter Holly Coons tried to bake cookies in the car.

"I actually burned my hand when I grabbed the cookie sheet out of the car," she says, adding that she considers the hourlong experiment a success. "I would have made a bigger batch if I knew they were going to turn out so good."

In South Charleston, West Virginia, Eddie Harmon has been without power for days. He's unemployed and trying to stay cool as much as he can;  his wife and the couple's younger daughter slept in the car last night. Another daughter is staying with her grandmother, who has a generator. At 6 feet 5 inches, Harmon has to try to sleep in the house.

"It is very hard to sleep," he says. "I’m doing the best I can with it. I’m probably getting anywhere from five to three hours of sleep and not until 5 in the morning when the house finally cools off."

He recorded a video the day after losing power, in which he shares his tips for coping with the heat.

Several CNN.com readers also joined the conversation about temperatures and energy stability.

More than 1.3 million customers lack power amid unrelenting heat

For some, a short time without power was enough to have them concerned. The following reader said they had made several calls to their electrical service provider in the hopes of getting information, but it was very difficult. They also said Santa might be bringing them a generator this year.

RabbitMan196: "I live in Virginia and was without power for three days. I have an electric well (no manual capability yet - will be rectified VERY soon) so no power means no water. I drove 50 miles on Saturday looking for ice. I think I now know what the end of the world (at least in America) will look like: thousands of folks driving in their air-conditioned cars, clogging gas stations and looking for ice."

But others said we need to be more resilient without power.

Lovemypitbulls: "We are so reliant on computers and electricity that we freak out when we lose them. That gas station in Silver Spring could still sell ice and food. People shouldn't go without because electric cash registers aren't working. Pen and paper will get the job done; it'll just mean a little more work for the owner when the power finally comes back."

Some people are very miserable.

batman8318: "Having these 105 temps in North Carolina wouldn't be so bad if the humidity wasnt at 70. The humidity is what makes these temps so bad! Someone from Arizona was boasting about people not being able to handle the heat. Well I will trade you your heat for Southern humidity any day my friend ... see if you can handle this humidity."

JeremyH6: "But, it's a dry heat ..."

It's the Arizonan's lament.

KConor: "107 is nothing. We already hit 114 this year in Arizona. The water of my pool reached 92F."

HeyDummy1: "And that's the reason nobody lives in Arizona, so clearly 107 is 'something.' "

Those traditional summer sayings keep coming back.

SfromTX: "Easy to make snide comments when you've got power. Once again posters here prove 'it's not the heat, it's the stupidity.' "

GoRemoteKCI: "It's not so much the heat, but the heredity ..."

Time to buy a generator?

Barackismyhero: "How much did you spend on Starbucks last year? How much do you spend on dining out? Here's an idea. Most banks will allow you to skip a car payment, push it back to the end of your loan. Take that money and buy a genny ... a reliable one will cost you $400-$600. Also, maybe grandma and grandpa can't afford to send all the kids birthday money, maybe they need to keep it to buy themselves something so readily available and easy to use. Yes, of course you need the $1,500 [model] to run A/C but at least you would have SOMETHING now wouldn't you?

Johnny Mustard: "Here in Louisiana , many people have learned the convenience of owning a generator and small window units that it can run. 5,500 watt generators sell for around $550-600 and it is enough I found out to run two 8.5btu A/C units, the refrigerator, a freezer, TV, PCs and about three or four lights."

Or maybe we just need to toughen up.

KenKrieger: "I was raised in Florida in the 1950s with very high humidity and no air conditioning. I remember going places that had air conditioning and thinking it was too cold. I stayed outside all day and never had a reaction to the heat. Now everyone has air conditioning including people on welfare. Now we even provide cell phones for the poor. We now live in a wimpy, 'woe is me society' with double-priced government-controlled heath care that means fewer jobs and more on welfare and more 'woe is me Democrat voters' who blame the people who work for all their problems. I set my thermostat on 79 and I use air conditioning mostly to keep the moisture out of the house, not so much for cooling. You over-taxed socialist liberals in the North need some heat. Ken Krieger, Cape Coral, Florida"

Are power fix-it folks heroes?

jillian Frias: "Thank you to my wonderful husband and his crew down is MD. Journeyman lineman put their lives on the line every day for us. Thanks guys!!! xoxoxox"

place57: "Not to take away from their job (I think it would suck to do that), but I think the 'putting their lives on the line' every day is a little much. I appreciate the hard work, but heroes they are not. ..."

This reader is tired of the heat.

Linda Brown: "God I feel for these folks because even though I have power and have had the AC going nonstop it is extremely humid and the high temp for us in my neck of the woods in MI is going to be 96 at about 5 p.m. and I am so tired of it already. I had to go out to do errands and buy groceries and it was all I could do to walk out the door, so I can't imagine what these poor folks are going through with no AC or fans, I would go to one of the cooling stations but most of these places would not allow pets and I have three cats who as of now are lying on the floor near the AC. We had some strong storms come through this a.m. and all that did was heat it up even more! It is like walking into a sauna! Now it is summer in MI, but this is getting old these relentless 90s! So I do hope these folks get their power on soon or more people are gonna drop like flies."

Several people mentioned buried power lines, which were the subject of a recent opinion article by columnist David Frum.

Michael White Frejac: "Well. How smart are we really? Tons of people and still sending electricity in above-ground lines, via a system that cannot take hard weather? Goes to show how governments tend to forget voters, in a bad way. Note, not too many are wealthy in those zones. Seems like they like your money more than they (the gov) likes you."

But other countries live without air conditioning!

Slumdog77: "My friend went to visit her family in Europe, she forgot that those guys have no AC, not only in their homes, train stations, stores, libraries. Russia, Ukraine are NO AC country's, and they live to tell the story, no problem there."

Bill Rogers: "Amazing people can't live without air conditioning. I spent a year in Vietnam and we had none there and survived. Back 60 years ago, not many people had air and all survived. Geez. What a lazy pitiful world of people these days."

Some people feel like it's getting worse.

bkungl: "We are experiencing the same kind of heat wave here in Ontario. The only difference is that we never experienced those terrible storms on Friday night so we still have our electricity. I used to look forward to summers, however, it seems that every year the heat is getting worse and for longer periods at a time. I'm so sorry for all those who are suffering in this extreme heat ... hopefully, the electricity will be up and running soon."

Of course, air conditioning is a modern thing.

SofaKings: "My ancestors survived without a/c, electricity, laptops, cell phones and refrigeration. This is NOT a travesty in the NE folks ... learn how to survive without comfort conveniences and stop your whining."

Tsimbi: "My God! Over a million Americans without air conditioning!! Call Al Gore!"

Are we over thinking this?

maipenoor: "Fun fact: Temperature gets higher in the summertime and lower in the wintertime."

And ... not everybody's hot.

snowtrails: "It was a blistering 72 degrees here in the Northeast kingdom of Vermont yesterday, woke up to 53 this morning and a chill in the air. Nature's AC is working just fine here in New England, and my solar banks are fully charged. I hope we can escape any heat up here this summer. If ya want to cool off, come on up and go camping in our mountains, you won't regret it!!"

Vlahos: "Come to Washington state. It's a blistering 57 here and its raining."

Are you hot, or just getting a good laugh? Share your opinion in the comments area below or share your story via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Heat • Overheard on CNN.com • U.S. • Weather
  1. Richard Gere

Hamsta I wanna do you I miss my gerbil!

July 3, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

...and, there are those whom recieve full recompense for ther errors, even before they die. But you hafta be a true believer to know of them, and that they don't get AIDS. They get Homeland Security Prison, just as every undesireable lured ot of the closet ever was. (according to The History of Nations, as opposed to history itself)

July 3, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard Gere

I don't care gimme some brown town PHIL

July 3, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Think. Heathcare insurance companies rake a 4% profit. Insurance is the little, what is the LOT? You KNOW what it is, but the 'man in the mirror' (or, woman)cnak"t let you see.
    When can"t means 'won't' to you., there is Hope. And where there is hope, there is busting your ass for another 1,000 years cleaning-up this mess we've made of earth.

July 4, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Most do not see that by the time they finish their double-cheesburger for lunch, even w/o their cars gasoline or homes a/c, their carbon footbrint is among the biggest 17% on earth.
    There is little you can do carbon-wise. What you CAN do is pull your head out and see that man does NOT have the answers. Even manmade invading flying saucers won't save you (subliminal, guilty of regurge in this instance)

July 4, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

Aways "Your your your". Never 'it'.

July 4, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • The Pickle Factory

Philip, you are going to first in line for the HSP with an entire bottle of Bayer aspirin.

July 4, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

That's right. This freaking HUGE planet Earth is NOT determined by you trolls and moles of man. You arogant baffoons!
    And you 'Spiritual' leaders laughing my ass off at you! As if Jesus with a whip on the Jewish economy. You hump (i say 'hump' to escape censure, you FREAKING IDIOT, above) our boys with impunoty now. But mark my word. You and yours will be in Homeland Security Prisons. We giot over 160 built for "terrorists", but since we killed them that terrorists, mi casa es su casa.

July 4, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

What set its undies in an uproar this evening?

July 4, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

It says hump because it likes to. Other euphemisms exist, and people would know what it's talking about.

July 4, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Thelma Lou Brickmore

It is a bit warm out here tonight...have to make me another lovely vodka lemonade...

July 4, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

That's right. If you or yours are one of the 12 million Mexicans (some say 25 million) living here illegally, you need to get the freak out. (as i recommend all stubbornly gay individuals do) "Victory" will be declared over Terrorism, and the already-written 'Victory Act of Congress' will be enforced on US, as was it's predacessor, The Patriot Act. (both written by the same man, Orin Hatch (Utah) What political affiiliation Hatch? Who freaking cares.

July 4, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

Aways "Your your your". Never 'it'.....

July 4, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lilith

Stubbornly gay.....how about the closeted ones? Is that their "safe room?"

July 4, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Yes. These are my most honest and best-meant words I've ever spoken. After decades of researching the history of nations, also with coming to know your bible inside and out, I have concluded that your governement lured you out of your closet. You are NOT safe no-matter the 'token black' "tolerance" so "genuinelly" offered...over and over and over again, ad nauseum.

July 4, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

After reading all of its stuff over the past few years, I have concluded that one therapist cannot work miracles.

July 4, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. The Pickle Factory

Philip, look in the mirror and say these words. You will be incarcerated with priests and Sandusy's of the world.

July 4, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Thelma Lou Brickmore

After reading all of this, I do believe I'll have two.

July 4, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Oh shut up with the bigotry. Why don't you invite YOURSELF to leave? I guarantee there are more supporters of gay people than there are of hate spreaders like you. The majority of gay people are tolerant, loving patriots who cherish this great country of ours, where we can worship the way we please, love whom we want, and vote to change the things which make us unhappy. Don't like it? Theres the airport.

July 4, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • doug

I wish what you said was true, but it is not, most gays are Democrats and Democrats are the most selfish, hateful, dishonest people to ever grace this planet. This is not up for discussion, facts are facts and the reality of the bluest parts of America speaks for the crats.

Power goes out and 'crats are fighting each other, driving with a total disregard for human life, yelling screaming, their Micheal Moore gizzards flapping up and down. Power goes out in Republican areas and everyone helps each other, works together, and remain kind and humble. Quite telling isn't it?

July 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Think. Observe how they toot their horns bragging about having gay friends, just as they did for imported Nigerians. (aka Nig/gers) See? I, though I do NOT approve of your ways (nor you mine. help?) I love you and will NOT bnelittle your very existence as those tooting thir horns. Anyway. (Hug) ha ha!

July 4, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

You belittle everyone. Whole groups of people. You are a hypocrite.

July 4, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

Plus you toot your own horn every single day. Take it down a notch, for thinking, rational people no longer believe a word you utter.

July 4, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Oh do behave. (@raven) Come on? It's me! Philip. Speal out of those whom it is public lnowledge of, not JUST me.
    What have you to say of President Obama's refusal to lift George W. Bush's gag order on the lady with PROOF of the men who finacned 9/11? I've mentioned her a hundreds times here, and you waste your breath on me. What gives.

July 4, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

Probably because YOU SPEAK WORDS OF BIGOTRY ALL THE TIME! So when one gives so much fodder, one gets spoken to. If you don't want a reaction, don't write such hateful things. Everyone in the world knows a gay person, or IS one. Which one are you?

July 4, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • raven

Youre right. I waste my breath. Have it your way. Hate away.

July 4, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |