July 8th, 2012

Monday's Internet blackout: Justifiable hysterics or just hype?

An Internet blackout that will happen Monday has the webisphere scrambling.

Hundreds of thousands will be without Internet when the FBI shuts down selected servers supporting computers infected with the notorious virus, DNSChanger.

But are Internet hysterics warranted - or just hype?

The FBI is set to shut down servers that it initially created to support infected computers after the authors of the pesky malware were caught in November. Some reports put the number of U.S. Internet users who will go dark at less than 70,000 - a relatively small number of U.S. users.

Not sure if you're among the unlucky? The agency has offered a step-by-step plan on how to check to see if your computer has the virus.

The virus affected more than 4 million computers internationally. When infected users typed a domain name into their browser, DNSChanger rerouted them to fake ad sites, ultimately garnering millions of dollars for the six Estonian malware authors.  The FBI opted to set up servers that would allow infected users to stay on the Web without the fake ads.

Even though the number of those who will be without the Internet might not be worthy of all the hype, the World Wide Web  is a staple for getting through everyday life. And, whether reports are overblown will probably mean little to those who are going without on Monday. We want to know what the Internet means to you, so log in and tell uswhile you still can.

Post by:
Filed under: Technology • U.S.
  1. fernace

I don't kow how I will LIVE, w/out a day of blogging! 😉

July 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rascal Rabble

...its just a tool...fool...nottah respirator...

July 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. unimpressed

So, people who are downloading a virus will lose access? Hardly a 'blackout'!

July 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hype-o-Rama

Definitely hype. And of course, no mention that it doesn't affect Macs. Don't need any negative publicity for the Apple-Haters to have to defend.

July 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • mac user

then why are Macs listed as part of the effected systems and why are remove instructions available?

July 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Social Preacher

Except it does affect Macs, and this article doesn't mention either Macs or PCs. Sooo......

July 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill Duke

The sky is falling! Y2K! Y2K!

July 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Commentator

I don't understand why the FBI doesn't route those DNS server results to a landing page that tells them the server is going to be shut down and then let them continue to the final site. That way they can advise everyone who uses the service already. Of course, they'd probably need to know something about DNS to pull it off. Maybe that's why.

July 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What category do you fall in, Mmmmmm?
      What an absurd blanket statement to make.

July 8, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

@banasy i recommend you asked the "we few" elitists...

July 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Uh huh.
      Well, in any case, I hope this doesn't affect the servers of those students taking online classes for school...

July 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

lol...now we for grasping straws...the internet is not critical or essential in anywayl...though it maybe the foundation of the brave world for a few creeps...i hope y'all have contigency plans for the solar flare wipeout...well...do you?

July 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TO: Rascal Rabble

I take classes online. It was a concern for me until I was able to log on. Since RR seems to hate the net so much, I wonder why RR would even be here in the first place...does RR have a contingency plan to yak up her hatred with, or is she going to stand on the street corner and shout at people passing by?

July 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

70,000?
    I think that estimate is a little on the low side...my pc and at least three other people I know were infected by this stupid virus.
    And that's just in my immediate little neighborhood...

July 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ballgame

70,000 equals 0.03% of US computer users... just sayin.

July 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sumiko

These guys are so clueless.. Seriously CNN, get a technical adviser, or if you have one.. listen to them, or, fire them and get a good one. At least the last bit of info is generally useful, however misleading the presentation.

July 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ?

How do we know the antivirus peopel aren't just trying to make more money off of us? how do we know they aren't making them?

July 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Charlie G.

Don't make light of this type of threat.

The FBI didn't get involved just out of mild curiosity.

We (you and me) have a national cyber-threat standing in the wings just waiting to be activated by ......lots of nations out there just waiting to create utility outages, financial services outages...more..........especially from out of the Muslim Middle East......China.....Russia.

Or....ignore this threat....... and then don't shriek and wail about your business freezing up, or no water to flush.......

July 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tom

Think of it as evolution in action. Morons who have bad internet habits and let their machines get infected will be off the interent, making it a nicer place for the rest of us... Hey! How come I can't post this? What's wrong with this machine anyway?...

July 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 1amazed1

I did the check the FBI had on the internet through another company. My computer was deemed ok but I bet there is a FBI virus or bug on my computer now. Better be good on the net now.... LOL

July 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. salinesolution

it's sad to see the next generation so dependent on technology and electronics when I was a youngin (I'm only 23) I spent all of my time playing outside with my friends and building forts and treehouses. But I guess it's easier to stick your child in front of a tv then actually raise them. And that's where fat people cone from.

July 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • AZ

lol but u r infront of ur computer right now ~_^....

July 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angry Annie

And you're actually commenting on stories with stupid people like us!! Welcome to the club. May I get you another doughnut?

July 8, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Actually, fat people come from the same place as you and me, a woman's womb. Don't generalize why people are the way they are just because you think you know their behaviors. Idiot.

July 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • XxMacleodxX

says the person responding to an internet article

July 8, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Roman Marshall

Call me parinod but this sounds like a real good way to get acess to differen web sites to monitor it on a constant basis without having to log in.

July 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |