July 10th, 2012

Southwest heats up as rest of U.S. cools down

Even as the Midwest, Southeast and Northeast cool a bit, the U.S. Southwest is practically boiling.

The National Weather Service has issued excessive heat warnings for parts of Arizona, California and Nevada through Wednesday, with temperatures forecast to peak Tuesday at 113 degrees in Las Vegas; 113 in Phoenix; 116 degrees in Yuma, Arizona; and 125 degrees in Death Valley, California.

In the Las Vegas Valley, local officials are opening up cooling stations Tuesday to give residents a place to beat the heat. Forecast highs in the 100s will continue into next week.

Some may think that the excessive heat warnings are, well, a bit excessive given they're being issued for the desert where 100-plus temperatures aren't uncommon.

Not so, says Gary Woodall of the National Weather Service in Phoenix.

"We look at our high temperatures and the low temperatures that we're forecasting," he told affiliate KPHO. An average temperature of 100 degrees for the day is key, since that would limit the body's ability to cool itself.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S. • Weather
  1. Portland tony

Having lived in Arizona until migrating North a few years ago, these reported warm temperatures are normal. In fact there are smaller desert cities that reported temperatures of 117 to 120 yesterday. During late summer, the heat ranges from say 90 degrees at night to 115 degrees during the day.

July 10, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ancient Texan

Yes, it's hot, but if we break a heat record these days, it is most likely a record that was set in the 1914 to 1924 time period. Summertime gets hot in the Southwest.

July 10, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

Truly this is not big news for the desert southwest. Those of us that are denizens of the desert know to keep hydrated, do whatever chores that need to be done early in the day, and stay in an air-conditioned environment. The homeless populace or folks that don't have air conditioning have the option of going to cooling centers where they can get a shower and have a meal.

July 10, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Well, I want my friends to be safe, anyway...dazzle and Superman... ;)
    If I were to move to the SW, a must-have for any house I were looking at to purchase would most definitely have central air!

July 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy©, Thank you for that my friend. Central AC is a must here but some of the old adobe houses in the barrio don't have it. I don't know how the people survive. The only concern is the intermittent power outages. I am fortunate and blessed because I also have my own pool which I will be in a good part of the day.

July 10, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

dazzle ©
      Of course be safe. But what else can be said that you don't already know ?

And good morning to you banasy©

July 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Running central air 24/7 in a typical 3 bedroom 10 year old house will run about 4-5 hundred a month during the summer in the SW. Of course you make up for that in early spring and late fall when you can open all the windows!

July 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle ©

I know the reports of these "extreme" temperatures must come as a huge surprise to you. Such a newsflash for 100 + degree temperatures in the SW in the summertime ? Must be a really slow news day.

July 10, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat)©, Good Morning to you too. Between this and the same old politico garbage it is a slow day.

July 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

There was a priest that loved to stream fish. One year there was a problem every time he had a chance to go fishing the weather was bad or it was on Sunday, when he had to work. All year he was unable to go. Finally it was the last week before the streams closed. The weather was bad all week until Sunday, when the weather was perfect. The priest could not resist, he called a fellow priest claiming to be very sick and asked if he could take over his sermon.

The fly-fishing priest drove over 200 miles, not wishing to see anyone he knew. An angel seeing the priest playing hooky went to God and said "You're not going to let him get away with this are you?". God agreed he should do something. The first cast the priest made was perfect. The fly floated past a log and a huge mouth gulped the fly down. For 45 minutes the priest ran up and down the stream fighting the mighty fish. At the end he held a 50" world record rainbow trout. Confused the angel asked God, "What are you doing?". God replied "Think about it, who's he going to tell?"

July 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Piers Morgan, Supervillain

LOL, funny! oooh that crafty old man upstairs. What a scamp!

July 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

A young doctor moved out to a small community to replace the aging doctor there. The older doctor suggested that the younger doctor accompany him as he made his house calls so that the people of the community could become accustomed to him.
    At the first house they visited, the younger doctor listened intently as the older doctor and an older lady discussed the weather, their grandchildren and the latest church bulletin.
    After some time, the older doctor asked his patient how she had been feeling.
    "I've been a little sick to my stomach," she replied.
    "Well," said the older physician, "you've probably been over doing it a bit with the fresh fruit. Why don't you cut back on the amount of fresh fruit you eat and see if that helps."
    As they left the house, the younger doctor asked how the older doctor had reached his diagnosis so quickly.
    "You didn't even examine that woman," the younger doctor stated.
    "I didn't have to," the elder physician explain. "You noticed I dropped my stethoscope on the floor in there. Well when I bent over to pick it up, I looked around and noticed a half dozen banana peels in the trash can. That is probably what has been making her ill."
    "That's pretty sneaky," commented the younger doctor. "Do you mind if I try it at the next house?"
    "I don't suppose it could hurt anything," the elder physician replied.
    At the next house, the two doctors visited with an elderly widow. They spent several minutes discussing the weather and grandchildren and the latest church bulletin. After several minutes, the younger doctor asked the widow how she had been feeling lately.
    "I've felt terribly run down lately," the widow replied. "I just don't have as much energy as I used to."
    "You've probably been doing too much work for the church," the younger doctor suggested without even examining his patient. "Perhaps you should ease up a bit and see if that helps."
    As they left, the elder physician said, "Your diagnosis is probably right, but do you mind telling me how you came to that conclusion?"
    "Sure," replied the younger doctor. "Just like you, I dropped my stethoscope on the floor. When I bent down to pick it up, I looked around and there was the preacher hiding under the bed!"

July 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HIDE BEHIND

The nonchalance of those who dismiss the heat of today may well prove costly tomorrow.
    The tempeiratures are only a partial danger as that area is in what wil be the worst drought ever, far worse than the 12th centurys 60 year drought.
    A less than 2°F increase drains 8 to 10% of Colorado Rivers flow, a river already taxed by supplying 7 states.
    The natural aquifiers in all 7 are no longer a sustainable resource, and face depletion in a few short years time.
    Any increase in temps over the present rise will frain Colorado River even more drasticly.
    The quality of its water as volume decreases, this is already a costly problem, will mean vast cost increases and vastly increased volumes just to supply present rates.
    Laugh at own risk as increse in temps to 5°C are possible and the SW can look for other portions of coumtry needing electrical energy as wellyo vombat its droughts that are extending from Kansas to California.

The dust bowl average mean temp was 4°F below tidays temps.

July 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. HIDE BEHIND

Want to see what Arizona,Newmexico, Nevada, and portions of Colorafo will look like in as short as 10 years? Then take a look at a vast portion of the Aussie outback where today none but a few of plants can survive, and all that was done in last few years.

July 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Portland tony

Don't know why everyone is so concerned about record daily temperatures. I guess it gives the network weather readers something to talk about. The teal danger to folks and the environment is long term periods of excessively high temperatures which can wreck havoc on water tables, snow pack melt and the increase in demand for fossil generated electricity which by the way is rather expensive. Cooling stations cost money, as well as, leaving central air on in your house 24/7.

July 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

These days, news programs are patterned as entertainment.
      Insted of reporting, they seem to be all sound bites...I dislike today's style of reporting.
      Our local news meteorologist seems to exalt in this "OMG it's hot!" hysteria.
      Last week, he was going on and on about record three-digit temps in succession...and I thought, "who cares? Report when it's gonna effin cool down!"

July 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HIDE BEHIND

@banasy:

The strip of land from Kansas to California will begin to cool down sometime during the middle to end of eternity.

To be serious the long term weather forecast. by the National Weather people is: you ain't begun to see hot yet and may never live long enough to see it, that is if it ever cools down at all.

And yes indeed that area may well become untenable except for a subsistance existence; or for anything but a solar energy belt to keep rest of nation liveable.

Think this is BS scare mongering, then I guess our science is no more than a fanatical religious grouping.

July 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HIDE BEHIND

PS:
    Some in scientific community say we went over the 400 threshold months ago, and are still climbing.

July 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

HB:
    I don't think I have ever indicated that any of this was scare-mongering, or ever indicated *what* I believed one way or another.
    I believe in science; I do not believe news as entertainment, and playing on people's weather-related hysteria for ratings is all a part of that.
    That was the gist of my post to PT.
    Our local weatherman does precisely that...and he doesn't talk about any long-range forecasting at *all*.
    For that, I get my information elsewhere, and I agree that is what is happening in the region you decribed.

July 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. joe

I had no idea that 'zona got really stinkin hot in July. Thank god for cnn.

July 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |