Gotta Watch: Up-close shark encounters
An 18-foot great white shark appears off the coast of Sydney.
July 12th, 2012

Gotta Watch: Up-close shark encounters

Forget “Jaws.” We’ve seen all sorts of real-life shark encounters in the last few weeks. Whether people are fishing, diving, or kayaking, sharks seem to be showing up everywhere. You’ve Gotta Watch these incredible videos. Have you ever had a close call with a shark? Let us know in the comments below.

Swimming with a shark

Two friends who were spearfishing off the coast of Australia got a nasty surprise when a great white shark came between them and their boat. The tense moments were caught on one diver’s helmet cam.

Dinner time

Fishers in South Carolina and Australia both had sharks appear out of nowhere to snatch a fish off their lines. It's hard to say what's better: the footage of the sharks or the reaction from the people fishing.

Shark week

Multiple sightings of great white sharks off Cape Cod have visitors worried. See the incredible shots of a great white shark stalking a kayaker and hear experts' take on what's drawing the sharks to the Cape.

Rocking the boat

Fishermen in Sydney captured unbelievable video of an 18-foot great white biting the smaller blue shark that was on their line. Would you be able to hold the camera steady as long as they did?

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Gotta Watch • Sharks
  1. Thaddeus

Shark steak is some fiiiiine eating !

July 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HIDE BEHIND

Want to fish for large sharks and just about be guaranteed to catch 3 or more 7' to 10' ,larger possible, in just 3 or 4 hours, then head to Willipa Bay in SE Washington state.
    They are so numerous no game stats can count them as of yet, and you can keep up to 12 of monstors.

A bay once noted for its pristine rivers flowing into it that made towns famous for its oysters, crabs, salmon, steelhead and sturgeon, is now catching fish and invasive species of shellfish and plantd rapidly replacing its riverine inhabitants.

The limit on what are known as "Broadhead Seven Gill Sharks means you can catch and retain over 1000#'s of sharkmeat.
    While other species of shark are present as well, even Whites are spotted but been years sonce anyone reported catch, it is the seven gill most popular.

The change in climate along with virtually unlimmeted and unregulated logging and housing construction along the bay are rapidly changing the ecology, and the SW area is an animal,( deer, bear, elk and other fur bearers; ducks and geese,and fish) poaching mecca, and locals and. ethnic minoritys transport its goods to metr areas of both Oregon and Washington.

In fact the shark trade has long been those minoritys bread and butter, locals as well to be fair.

Now that is not an ecological cause but if you want to see or catch unlimited numbers of these toothy varmits come quick for knowing WA game by the time they get going its already gone.

PS: Bring lits of money to dpend the local legal economy is below depressoon levels.
    You could say it is lower than shark poop.

July 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

@Thaddeus. Sho 'nuff. One a my fav places of all time to eat was Zeke's in Ft. Worth. Deep fried white shark, okra, and eggplant. Yummmmmmmeeee. You got a mug of beer and a bowl of peanuts when you sat down, and the floor was always covered with peanut shells!

July 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

@HIDE BEHIND. No thanks, I'll stick to Brownsville TX.. :) just kidding.
    Very interesting piece you wrote there. Not as interesting as the Army Corp. of engeneers messing with Florida's everglades until male aligators went impotent and mother nature sent crocodiles to replace them, but very intersesting indeed!
    Florida is the only place on earth where crocodiles and alligators cohabit, thanks to alligators who can't get it up anymore. Why hasn't Big-Pharma developed alligator erection helper pills?

July 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hank

NOTHING is ever as intresting to you unless YOU wrote it. For the record, I found HIDE BEHIND'S more interesting if we're keeping score!!

July 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

*Army Corps of Engineers, rather. They straightened some of Florida's winding waterways, destroying ancient alligator breeding pools along the way. Female alligators will only mate at the same hole they first became impregnated. Learn from the alligator, ladies. he he

July 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. HIDE BEHIND

@phillip:
    I am old and not up to speed on breeding habits of todays aalligators. or women for that matter, but do not women always use the same hole by which they were first impregnated today?

July 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

I was refering to pools of water called "holes"...like watering holes barmaids work at. :) he he.
    I'm old and figured out where impotency came from. Watch out! It can make you go blind. (natural alergic reaction humans sometimes have to todays Big Pharma erection helper pills)

July 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. topcat

move over sharks. we own the oceans too.

July 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. revnowwhilewecan

Why are people so afraid of sharks? Can't they hear the music? :)

July 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jesse

The comments on video 3 are ridiculous. I don't know what it is but every-time I see a video or hear of a shark its off the coast of Australia, I don't know what it is about that beach maybe the beautiful beerier reef?!? Are you freaking kidding me and you're a reporter? I think all news people need serious IQ test before being hired or allowed on air. How can you be an adult reporting news and not know that Great whites main habitat is Australia and the reefs? Just plain ignorance.

July 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

I'll take my chances against a shark any day before I would face a hippo.
    We have all seen video of divers swimming with sharks as they swarm and feed. How many have you seen of divers swimming with Hippos during mating season? Zero. Hippos kill more humans than any other wild animal.
    But you knew this, right Hanky? he he

July 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Philip, hippos do not kill more people than any other wild animals. Hippos and crocs in Africa kill around 500 a year in Africa a piece. Stats are hard to get accurate in third world countries. The thing is crocs also kill people in Australian, Asia, in between, and occasionally the Americas. Hippos do not. But crocs don't kill the most people of any wild animals either. Snakes kill around 20,000 a year in India, 30,000 in Sri Lanka, 20-35,000 in Africa...............You get the picture. If you were to take the individual species fatality stats of the puff adder, Asian cobra, saw scaled viper, krait, or russell's viper, they would individually blow the hippos away in annual fatality numbers.

July 13, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Philip.
    I haven't even been on all day, with the exception of maybe three or so posts.
    This is my first post on this thread.
    I am no more Hankasy than you are.
    I'll accept an apology from you, but I won't hold my breath.

July 12, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Think about your words. Would a jury conclude that there was no way you did it based on the evidence you just put forth?
    Generally, when a child says "nope, it wasn't me", parents believe. But when the child offers an explanation like "wasn't me. i went a different way than the way i always go" the parents raise their eyebrows.
    I do believe you, but you must admit. You've sounded worse than that before! :) Towords me, I mean.
    And while yer here, why is it you go in-depth over personal differences you have with me, but rarely comment on the themes of my comments?

July 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Philip:
    I cate not one jot if you believe me, or if a jury believes me; I haven't been on hardly at all, and a jury would see evidence via my net traffic, were this to be a trial.
    I find it increasingly hard to be civil to one when one does this...
    I have commented on your themes in the past; as they are brought up repeatedly, I have no reson to comment again.
    It is the same with any topic that generates thread traffic; GZ, Sandusky, Syria; I've said it before.
    I am stil awaiting an apology.
    I still won't hold my brrath.

July 12, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Good thing I didn't, for I would most assuredly be dead.

July 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |