July 13th, 2012

Mississippi clinic can continue performing abortions, judge rules

Doctors at Mississippi's sole abortion clinic are allowed to continue performing the procedure, even if they do not have admitting and staff privileges at an area hospital, as required by a new state law, a federal judge ruled Friday.

But state officials can begin an administrative process that could ultimately lead to the closing of the clinic, said U.S. District Judge Daniel P. Jordan III.

The law took effect July 1 and requires all abortion providers in Mississippi to be certified obstetrician/gynecologists with privileges at local hospitals. Doctors at Jackson Women's Health Organization, the only abortion provider in the state, come in from other states, and only one of its doctors is authorized to practice at a nearby hospital.

Supporters of the new law say it is intended to protect women from unscrupulous practitioners, but others say it's part of a move to outlaw abortions in the state.

Post by:
Filed under: Abortion • Mississippi
  1. JaSoN VooRheeS

my sTory isn as bad as yours. I was foUnd by two derelicts. They foUnd me wrapped in PLastic in a trash can behind the doctors office. They said I still had the cOat hanger attched to me. They said when they pulled me out the hook went up through my chin, into part of my brain, then back out next to my eye. I don remember the hurt i was too little.

July 14, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Strictly speaking from a Switzerland standpoint of the purpose of the clinic, I would not trust *any* clinic whose doctors did not have affiliations with area hospitals...

July 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

@ Rascal, that was NOT nice! Everyone knows Dott is a shortened version of Dorothy! What is rable? Also to you know who, if you really were a victim of an abortion, than i guess that would explain alot, so i will try to have more patience with you.

July 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

setting your patience aside, it is interesting that you would make such a request considering that per dott's definition: life is just tissue to be discarded...so now what would be the basis for respecting this little dott and the unborn???

July 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

I dont believe it is nice to disrespect someones name. Have i ever disrespected yours? Even tho i dont understand the last portion of it ive not dissed it! And for myself i would never have an abortion, but if someone must i would hope its by a REAL DR!

July 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

sooo...you two do like to be arbitrarily and unilaterally called insignificant?

July 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

And to the person posing as Mary and calling her bi polar, that clearly is NOT funny!!

July 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Awww ruffie, is it really, really you?? Or is it just memorex? Weve been wondering if you were ok?

July 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

@chrissy, how are you? Yes of course:-).

July 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

lmfao @ ruffie! And rascal, which two are you referring to? If one of them is me, no i DONT like it, however im getting kinda used to it by the supposed survivor on this thread! And i DONT believe in abortion for sport, but .... (tbc)

July 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

lol...but you do believe...in abortion
      but you don't believe...in abitrary and unilaterally labeling others insignificant...mmmm...

July 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

I DO believe the world might be a better place if some individuals had been aborted before they could cause mass amounts of pain and suffering. One in particular comes to mind, HITLER!

July 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

now your playin' god...if you have a minority report on the guy...just lock him up in stasis...i'm sure walt could use a room mate...lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Lol ruffie, sorry you went to jail but...The law is the law.

July 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

i'm not sorry...you can find a bag of nuts in a bowl anywhere...

July 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Rascal Rabble, this topic and your posts are obviously something you feel passion about. It sounds like FEAR which is:
      F-FALSE
      E-EVIDENCE
      A-APPEARING
      R-REAL

July 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ dazzle, surprisingly im doing much better ty! And my cats are learning to dodge the wheelchair, since im not the best driver in this thing. Lol my grandson asked me last night if i could pop a wheelie in it yet! Lmao!

July 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, I am glad you are doing so well. Cats are too smart but I bet they are being a great comfort to you.

July 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

RUFFIE:
    I haven't done this to you in a looooooong time, so:

*Facepalm*™

Welcome back!

July 14, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

@ rascal, dont twist my words, it doesnt become you! I already told you i personnally DO NOT! I dont have the right to speak for anyone else and neither do you! Nor do we have the right 2 judge! Maybe i shoulda said HITLER shoulda been euthanized @ birth?

July 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@RR, cut and paste is not an answer.

July 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Chrissy, thanks for the kinds words.
      I highly doubt you would NOT judge Mrs. Sandusky for keeping her mouth shut about her husbands escapades with those boys screaming in her basement. Ya know what I'm saying? Your not one to hold your tongue, unlike Dottie.

July 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rascal Rabble

see? spoken likah true nut...

July 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tammy

Hey RASCAL BABBLE, were you born a beach or have you just worked at it your whole life? I agree with Chrissy, and she was perfectly clear. Now i suppose youre against birth control too?

July 14, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |