Overheard on CNN.com: Where do jobs, economic growth come from?
Mitt Romney has called for an apology from President Obama after Democrats scrutinized Romney's departure from Bain.
July 16th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Where do jobs, economic growth come from?

After Democrats talked up reports that Mitt Romney was listed as Bain Capital's CEO after 1999, when he has repeatedly said he left the private equity firm, CNN columnists and our readers are discussing the Republican presidential candidate's views about jobs in America. Romney's date of departure is significant because some of the companies acquired by Bain later shipped jobs overseas. Romney claims he left the company before those decisions were made. Here are some varying views on the presidential race for "job creation."

Mitt Romney's painfully bad week
Facts don't support Obama's charges against Romney

Who are the job creators?

bigdil: "Here's Romney's problem and, for that matter, the GOP's problem: Rich people aren't neccesarily job creators. Some are. Some aren't. Romney can't just say, 'I'm a rich guy. Therefore, I'll be better at creating jobs and fixing the economy than Barack Obama.' Why should anyone believe this argument? Nothing in his Bain experience would suggest any talent in that area. Likewise, there is no reason to think that giving tax breaks to 'job creators' (i.e. rich people) will help the economy. It won't."

eddiev5: "True. But the same problem exists for Obama and modern-day liberals. The government cannot create jobs indefinitely - its not sustainable. You also cant have 'the rich' pay for half a centuries worth of spending - the math just doesnt add up. So therefore, either you tax the middle or lower class more, or you create more debt (which creates more problems), or you get rid of or reform the pricey parts of the budget. These are all options the left wing will not pursue. Big government inevitably grows to the point to where it hinders its own progress by stepping over its own toes. You can actually see this right now with Obamacare and Wall Street Reform. Sure, the GOP has a problem but its really no different than the same hard ideologically stance liberals have taken. They are both not logical."

Many readers said they don't care so much about Romney's business record. But who spends taxpayers' money?

SickofDebt: "Apparently, I'm supposed to be more angry with what Mitt Romney does with his money, than what Obama does with mine."

drewsco: "Your shouldn't be angry with what Mitt did, but concerned, because if he is elected president, then it'll be your money that you may be concerned about."

smeat3: "Obama doesn't spend your money. Congress does. And, even if Obama wasn't president, they'd still be spending it. Probably even more of it if past Republican administration's practices have anything to do with how future ones would operate."

Kimw2012: "I don't care about how Romney spends his money.  I care more about how Obama spends mine.  Most importantly I care about who can spend my money better for the next four years.  If he can not give me a straight answer about his finances he will not give me an answer about how he will spend my money.  He wants my vote and I want information."

This reader said President Obama is going in the wrong direction.

Matt Sitler: "I cant believe Obama said basically the only difference between a deadbeat slacker on government assistance and the owner of a small business is basically the business owner got luckier than the ne'er-do-well. Amazing. Class warfare 101: pit the have-nots against the haves. Occupy, the misleading myth of the 99%. Tell the guy who is pissed off at this lame job the only reason his boss is going better than him is luck, not working harder, not working a full-time job while getting multiple degrees at night over years of sacrifice and effort. Just luck. Obama is a poison to democracy and capitalism. He is as socialist and communist as people say after all!"

This reader is baffled.

intoleranGOP: "I am really getting confused here. Romney is running on his success as a businessman at Bain, but not the outsourcing of jobs, loading them with debt and riding them into bankruptcy. But currently he didn't have ANYTHING to do with it, but was sole shareholder and signed off as CEO. I think it might be easier to document a UFO abduction than learn the truth from Romney. Maybe he better keep the returns hidden!"

Is it all one big board game?

DebofAmber: "I once read a comment that President Obama plays chess while his opponents play checkers. This seems to be the case here."

Michael Smith: "Both are pawns in a greater chess game. Mitt is meant to lose like McCain. Both parties are owned by bankers who make money betting against America. And it only gets easier as we bend over and give them all of our freedoms and liberties to 'protect us' from brown boogeymen. They keep us safe in the short term, but not in the long term. Go to the airport, submit and get a patdown so there's no mishaps on the plane if you don't want cancer from the x-ray machine. What is the point of a safe plane trip if you're still going to get cancer and die?"

Phange: "Mitt Romney's campaign strategies have historically been very conservative until the last minute, in which time he uses extensive saved resources to destroy the character and political image of his opposition. There's no reason to believe that he's not doing that now. Nothing else explains why he's sitting on so much money, and allowing his opponent to chip away. That is a very risky strategy to be sure, but it's also one that people like Newt Gingrich ignored - to their detriment.

George Cook: "Is that supposed to mean he is SMARTER? I'd doubt that he has even sat down with a CHESS BOARD or a CHECKER BOARD. He's been working too hard attending Rev. Wright's mean-spirited lectures and doing his community organizing. He gets an A+ for these activities, because that obviously QUALIFIES him for President and CEO of the Country. Right?"

What's your take on Obama and Romney? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Business • Economy • Mitt Romney • Overheard on CNN.com • Politics
  1. Obama Mama

I gotta take a shower and brush my teeth, its been days.

July 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

NOt me. Got something to say or do not like one of my posts? Comment don't be a coward.

July 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Obama Mama

Fun fact: If you take a map of the welfare states and super impose it over the states that vote republican, it is remarkable that the states that profess to want to do away with welfare are the states that reap the most from government support.
    Red states, 91% welfare states, 22 states 20 welfare. Blue states 39% welfare, 28 states, 11welfare. I find that quite interesting. So be careful what you vote for.

July 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hope

Hry Jay Jay!

I hope all is well with you. It's good to see you, my friemd.

Hope

July 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cartmilln

Are the comments that have been pulled out and highlighted the best comments on here? I am saddened by the lack of real discourse in these comments. Michael Smith believes we are all going to get cancer and die from x-ray machines if we keep going to the airport. Where is that information coming from? I need a source. George Cook loves to capitalize (I assume because he is just that angry) and then uses two small portions of a man's life to generalize everything he will ever need to know about him. What about Obama the father and the Senator? What about the rest of the life that he has led? As to Bain Capital, why are we so concerned with the past when we could be talking about the future? What is Mitt Romney's plan to create jobs once he is in office? Besides his repeated statements that he would attempt to repeal the Affordable Healthcare Act (which many believe to be a difficult if not impossible task unless the Republicans pick up super majorities in both the House and Senate) I have not read a single article or statement from the Romney campaign telling me what he will do to help ease the stressed economy. What does either man plan to do about the slow down in China? About the fragile state of the EU? About Iran's threats to close the Strait of Hormuz? What do they plan to do about the massive bid-rigging scandals that are waiting just around the corner? These are the topics the President and his expectant opponent should be talking about. We only help them ignore the real problems we face by giving excessive time to a very narrow window.

July 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

high-llighted you are and no your not the best, just on a phone. I wish I could be blue too. lol

July 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • cartmilln

What? I meant the comments that had been put in the main body of the page, the article section. I am not in that section. It is you're, not your, in that instance. You are on a phone? Your grammar and syntex is poor and I can't even tell if your comment is meant to be negative or positive.

July 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Accurate

And you are an overjudgmental bish, cartmilln. Your post is all negative.

July 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • cartmilln

I don't think I over-judged anyone, I only pointed out that their comments didn't add anything useful to the conversation. Obama Mama, I apologize for seeming angry, but I really didn't understand what you said to me. It appeared that your were insulting my saddened state with your blue comment. Breeding and calibur have nothing to do with the correct use of English. I use correct English because I don't want any confusion on what I am saying. Like the misunderstanding that occurred between us. I think my name is highlighted because it is a link. I find it hypocritical of you Accurate to say that I am being judgemental and negative when you post about me in a comment that is judgemental and all negative. I asked questions mostly, it is hard to be negative with questions that I honestly just want answers to.

July 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

The purpose of"Overheard" is what the blog editors think are the best representation of all of the posts relating to the subject that day.
      It is a blog about blog posts.

My name is in blue, also, and not because my name is affiliated with a link; it is in blue because I am using the mobile version of Cnn on a mobile phone.
      Clicking on my name will not take one anywhere.

Hello, Obama Mama.
      I hope you are well.

July 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And I won't mention that criticizing one's grammar and syntax is *not* the way to get one's questions answered; if the post was so clearly written, OM would not have misunderstood it.

July 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • cartmilln

Well, I assure you banasy that I am not on a mobile phone and that is not why my name is highlighted. I actually clicked on it right after she clarified her statement and it is a link to a blog. And my argument is that the comments they chose do not represent qualified thought-out arguments and that I find it sad that these particular comments somehow found their way to the top. I understand that it is a blog about blogs. I still find it sad that the comments chosen represent the best possible discourse for the topic. Although, I think it has more to do with the overall quality of comments than it does with the quality of the people chosing them.

July 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • cartmilln

I don't think that misunderstanding had anything to do with grammar. She believed that when I used the word "high-lighted" that I meant people's names, but what I actually meant was the articles the writers of the CNN had chosen to pull out and feature. That is a misunderstanding of word-choice. My grammar had nothing to do with it. And now we are talking about some stupid link instead of the half-dozen questions I posed to hopefully raise more questions for a better converstation. Why are you all so focused on this one tiny part when I wrote way more about far more important topics?

July 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

B/c I tried to answer your 1st question and u decided to chastise me. I now do not wish to engage, I would hate to answer your questions wrong or in opposition to someone who wishes just to be extremely judgmental and degrating. The regulars know me. I am not vendictive or hurtful to them and trust in my limited capacity try to grasp and be helpful.
      @banasy- thank you for the help. Scottish.

July 17, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • cartmilln

Because your comment did not make sense. It isn't chastising if it is truth. You chose to focus on the highlight part before I questioned your comment, so don't use it as a front for not engaging.

July 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

People of the United States of America,President Obama and MSNBC Progressives,
    President Clinton signed NAFTA and Jobs were sucked out of the country.GE President Obama's LAP DOG Company paid 0 Taxes in 2010 and has sent JOBS to China. Explain that Progressive!!!!!

July 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Nafta is the trilateral agreement between the united states, Canada and Mexico. So it is not about jobs overseas.
      I guess if the congress would tax those companies and let some alternative competi–tion begin prices would go down. I believe it was Obama who wanted taxing for outsourcing jobs.

July 17, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Accurate

Clinton signed it into law; Bush I authored it. Not exactly stunning news to have the succeeding President sign things into law that the preceding President authored. If Bush had won that election, he would have signed his own law in. Now stop the partisan baloney already!

July 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • cartmilln

I cant stand you people. I just shat myself thanks to you. What a mess I am.

July 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pete

Wasn't it Romney who outsourced his govermental calling center to India.Wasn't he who lent monies to corporations who also with bankrupt,leaving the states budget short that year,they're not equipped to lose that amount supposidly in the millions.Didn't Romney say unemployment was lower under his watch when factually over 200,000 people left the state because of businesses cutting back and also outsourcing with the governors blessing..Wasn't Massachusetts 47th in job creation when it was higher before his tenure started.Isn't it Romney that wanted tax transparency but refused to show but one year and waiting on the second,isn't that the typical hypocritical stance that republicans share.He made unfactual statements about Hillary and now Sen.Kerry and his taxes,does he want more than he can handle because he's asking for it isn't he!!!People are seeing the hypocrite for what he is ,an elite ,arrogent ,wealthy pompus ass that doesn't care who he offends or its consequences.Wealth doesn't make up for ignorence,ask Romney ,he's the perfect example ,isn't he and can't spend his way out of this mess either and republicans know it!!

July 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. james ainoris

Hi buisness taxes and fee s Osha and EPA Unions (I am for non gov unions) Led to all american industry to seek a way to offshore mfg. In the early 90s it was intially proposed to open up canada and mexico for "free" (not accurate not a level playing field and std of living to us) later communist slave china was out rageously added in under gingrich and clinton...both corrupt rotten parties were behind it being consultants for walmart and many others... listen to your am radio(sickening rhetoric) none of the so called true american rightwingers or the leftys are screaming to bring jobs back...especially rightys who want you arrested for buyin a cuban cigar or talk about chaves but remain silent about communist china who is arming against us... why??? they are all working for the america corps profitting from near slave labor in offshore countries...wake up! james ainoris

July 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. james ainoris

Whats sad is a few companies tried to stay and went bust...now just try to find anything besides fkng chinese food that is still made here . go to homedepot or lowes even autoparts (garbage ) and look at where stuff is made... I dont mind taiwan korea or india as much since at least they are our friends and not buildin up navy and army aginst us with commie leaders...chinese metal and ball bearings are the worst...but we keep on goin up to walbart and buyin to make some fellow american rich whilst puttin many more out of a job...they even had the nerve to keep most workers in walfart pt without any benifits and would tell single momz to go to local welfare clinic to get medical care...Quebec and certain pts of calif. banished them...but lush dimbaugh will call anyone against the commies... wake up america! these radio jocks work for our enemies....ask them who owns radio stations and who major sponsers are. who writes the script? come on man...we cant be that dopey...james ainoris

July 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Obama Mama

Another fun fact, today Jon Sununu, co-chair for Mitt Romney, said, "President Obama is not american". Then took it back. When asked by Wolf about the jobs market and why since the tax on wealthy was given and the stock market was up why the wealthy were not creating more jobs. Jon S, said, "They are holding back and waiting for Romney to get in, to put their money in the economy, they are just sitting on their money, and if Obama is president again, they (the wealthy will take their businesses overseas".
    I think we need more small businesses, if you have an idea and can see a need, do it. And people like me or others should seek these businesses out and give the GOP wealthy a nice send off, bon voyage. Take your money (that they know that people are suffering and sit on it) and please do take it over seas, then when you try to bring it to our markets we will tax you. Ridiculous, how can you sit by and let people suffer, for the love of money and your wealth.

July 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. truegrit1

No one can grasp the truth while mired in the details. Simple fact – In the last 8 years of the 1990s the Democrats had built a vibrant economy that created jobs and a historic surplus. In year 2000 SCOTUS gave that very healthy economy to the Republicans. In the next 8 years the Republicans brought that healthy economy to its' knees with expensive, unfunded, unnecessary, wars and wanton disregard for what was happening within America. Now Republicans want to blame Obama for the slow recovery to an economy that they created, the worst economy in 80 years. Republicans caused the Great Depression and the Great Recession. Republicans created this recession, not Democrats. Republicans have blocked Obama from repairing the economy for purely political purpose.Why would I trust Republicans when they have had such a dismal record in the past 90 years?

July 18, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Well said. Showoff.lol

July 18, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

And don't forget Obama is undoing every good thing Clinton did starting with the work requirement for welfare. All that foolishness and the Obamas want to pick on fat people. I wonder how fat the welfare recipients will get when they don't have to work on the 100 degree heat like I do just so they can buy expensive junk food with my money. One day you will recognize Obama for the piece of trash he really is.

July 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

The Democrats didn't "build" an economy, it was the people. Wow, are you really that ignorant?

July 19, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. oustobamavanjonesobama

"share the wealth"
    'Fair"
    "Forward"
    "You didn't build that"
    Karl Marx is suing obama for copy right infringements!!!
    Vote comrade obama OUT!!!

July 18, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lowkey

When a two jobs love each other very much... they outsource a stork.

July 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alix

Romney is definitely hiding something for not releasing his tax returns. Most of us have to supply the banks two years of tax returns in order to obtain a mortgage; however, Romney is running for the highest office in this world and he wont provide the american people his tax returns "this is a Joke"..........WOW.

July 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Critical Thinker

The Plutocrats (Romney and Ryan) firmly state that economic growth and job creation come from their wealthy cohorts and it's none of our darn business to inquire about their sources of wealth and how it was obtained. Middle class are nothing but whining peasants in their minds.

August 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Critical Thinker

The U.S. will morph into a Plutocracy (wealthy people wield all the govt. power) if Romney/Ryan have their way.

August 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |