Report: Three men claim they were abused by Sandusky in '70s, '80s
Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky leaves court after being convicted in his child rape trial.
July 16th, 2012

Report: Three men claim they were abused by Sandusky in '70s, '80s

Police are aware of three men who say they were abused in the 1970s or 1980s by former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky, CNN contributor Sara Ganim reports for the Harrisburg Patriot News.

The allegations are the first to involve claims of abuse by the coach before the 1990s. During Sandusky's child rape trial, his defense argued that it is rare for someone to suddenly become a pedophile in their later years.

After a three-week trial featuring emotional and often graphic testimony from eight of the former Penn State assistant football coach's victims, a 12-person jury late Friday night convicted him on 45 of 48 counts. There were convictions related to all 10 victims alleged by prosecutors, with the three not-guilty verdicts applying to three individuals.

The verdict prompted people in central Pennsylvania to breathe a sigh of relief, believing a man many called a "monster" would pay the price for his crimes and their impact on his victims, as well as the Penn State community.

As the jury was deliberating, more accusers - including his own adopted son - were speaking publicly for the first time about alleged abuse.

More on Penn State scandal:

The woman who stood up to Paterno

Reactions to Penn State report flood social media

Review recasts story of gridiron hero

FULL STORY
  1. flapper

May all of the penn state officals who covered it up someday rot in hell.

July 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Portland tony

I personally would strike out at any dirty old man who attacked me s*xually. And I would feel no sorrow for what my dad would do to him. That's how I was raised!

July 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nobody

I'm glad you and your father would do something about it. My parents were cowards (especially my father) and would have just ignored what happened.

July 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • maryindy

Don't forget, the kids this loser molested did not have fathers. That is often the pattern of pedophiles - go after kids who need adult attention, then take advantage of them once you have them!

July 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • ken last

That was the problem Tony this sick b$%^& picked on kids that had no father. He preyed on the meek and vulnerable. He knew these kids had no one to run to or tell. These kids did not have a father or maybe older brothers. I am with you on if may dad or brothers who years older than me found out something like this was happening they would have killed him. These kids were strugling enough then he was doing this stuff to them. He does not even deserve to be in hell that's to good even for this sick blank.

July 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Philly Tony

That's how these pedophiles attract kids; all or mostly all of them hadn't a father or positive male role model in their lives. That's the in. And when you're a young impressionable boy, and a grown man takes you in and shows you the love and adulation you've been missing you're prone to let things happen that you normally wouldn't. And also take into account, Sandusky was much bigger back when these abuses where occurring (he was the linebacking coach for years).

July 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcia J.

What if you didn't have a father?? Those are the kids molesters prey on. Usually they are from broken homes.

July 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kris

This is not at all surprising.

July 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Citizen

Pedophiles should be executed.

July 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslee

Not just executed: tortured slowly.

July 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Not before castration

July 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marcia J.

I've been saying this all along. Pedophiles start molesting at an early age, usually in their teens. I hope this comment gets printed because it's important that victims know and understand, it's not their faults. People like Sandusky prey on easy victims. I should know as I was a victim myself. My babysitters son would climb in bed with me every night while everyone else was still awake and attempt to penetrate me. At the time I was a mere child of 8 years. He was 17. I didn't really understand what he was doing but I knew it was wrong, so I clamped my legs together as tight as possible and pretended to be asleep. This went on for about a month, when I could no longer handle it I begged my grandmother to not make me go back. She asked me why but I was too ashamed to tell her. I thought it was my fault and thought she would be mad at me. I buried the memories deep and never told a soul until I was about 23 and engaged and I told my fiancee. Oh how I wish I had told my granny. I'm curious to see how many more turn up, though I'm sure many will take the secret to the grave.

Here's to hoping this pervert is placed in general population, he will soon learn the true meaning of"horsing around" in the showers.

July 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marcia J.

I agree with Citizen, they should be executed by being shot in the groin and left to bleed to death in the middle of the forest and left for the wildlife to nibble on.

July 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. xfiler93

this university that protectd a predator pedophile should be shut down. then mowed down the foundation. sickening.

July 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. flapper

the penn state officals who knew of the abuse and did nothing , they should be charged as co conspiraters. because by not doing anything, they aided and albeited a pedophile. allowing him to continue his reign of terror. I beleive tgr trustees knew more than theyre admitting to. my thoughts and prayers go out to those young men.

July 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Baba Booey

I will use my huge choppers to tear down the Joe Paterno statue at Penn State.

July 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jenny

hey, the paternos are going "to open up their own independent investigation to once and for all clear paternos name" hahahah, yeah, right, your father, husband and grandfather and uncle was a d bag...always will be, he stood by and allowed boys to be molested in his showers....his name is disgusting...and now he is giving PSA a bad name....

July 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Are they going to use the same private investigator that OJ and Casey Anthony used to find the real killers?

July 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Martha C

Dottie should be in jail, but in the meantime I hope she goes broke paying lots of settlements in civil court!!!!

July 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NinoG

They should leave the mural FOR PEOPLE TO SPIT ON.

July 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jbecker

This goes far deeper than Sandusky. Common sense and logic tells me Sandusky had something on Paterno. It’s not logical for Paterno or the school to allow Sandusky to hang around after 98, certainly not after 01. It’s not logical that Spanier, Curley and Schultz would jeopardize their careers for a retired assistant coach, but would they do it for an active head coach who was brining tens of millions of dollars into the school?
    Pedophiles rarely operate alone and are almost always associating with other like minded people (if you can even call them that). Ray Gricar (the dead DA) knowingly or unknowingly found this out the hard way. It’s also likely many witnesses are still being intimidated.
    There was pedophile ring, big money and donors were involved and Joe Pa was very much a part of it. It will come out in time.

July 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GA Transplant

Am I the only person that thinks Paterno committed suicide. Maybe he did not "eat a gun" or hang himself, but he sure went quickly after this whole thingt blew up. I had read somewhere earlier that sometime last year,he transferred all his assets to his wife's name. I think he knew he had a terminal illness (lung cancer) and he stopped staking his meds and allowed himself to die rather than face the truth that is now unfolding. I'm just saying, his death is mighty convenient in light of what we nowknow.

July 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. casey

I'd hate to think what I'd do if I was to witness somebody molesting a child.

July 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |