July 20th, 2012

Police log: 'I need somebody to shut this movie off'

Following is a preliminary, raw transcript of the first 30 minutes of the call log from Aurora Police Department dispatch tapes after the fatal shootings at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado.

1:00:07 315 and 314, first shooting at century theatres, 14 300 East Alameda avenue, they're saying somebody's shooting in the auditorium. 01:00:16

01:00:30 315 and 314 there is at least 1 person that's been shot but they're saying there's hundreds of people just running around. 01:00:36

01:03:42 315 be advised i think somebody's sprayed some gas over there too. 01:03:46

01:03:59 316 i need a rescue in here hot, see we got a guy shot. Inside of theater 9? Just outside of theater 9. 01:04:08

01:04:25 team 6 we got another person outside shot in the leg, a female, i got people running outside the theater that are shot in room 9. 01:04:33

01:04:39 318 i got another victim on the north side of this theater the parking lot. 01:04:43

01:05:05 from what I’m smelling inside I can – smells like it’s OC, maybe 2

01:05:14 get us some damn gas masks for theater 9 we can’t get in it

01:06:14 16 I need a marked car behind the theater stable side,suspect in a gas mask. 01:06:22

01:06:50 everyone hold the air one second, cars where that white car in the rear of the lot, is that a suspect? YES! we've got rifles, gas masks, you can see him ive got a open door going into the theater, OK hold that position, hold that suspect! 01:07:05

01:09:23 16 I got 7 down in theater 9! & down! 01:09:28

01:09:58 one of the shooters might be wearing a white and blue plaid shirt 01:10:03

01:10:09 I’ve got a child victim, I need rescue at the back door of theater 9 now! 01:10:13

01:12:29 (woman crying hysterically, help!) 01:12:34 (heard in the background; it’s a woman with a groaning cry)

01:13:07 I’ve got one victim eviscerated 01:13:09

01:14:21 I need somebody to shut this movie off in 9, how do we shut the movie off in 9?

01:14:29 everybody get on this, it's an assault rifle, we got magazines down inside, everybody watch out for the assault rifle. 01:14:35

01:14:55 do I have permission to start taking some of these victims via car? We’ve got a whole bunch of people shot out here and no rescue … yes, load ‘em up, get ‘em in cars, get ‘em out of here.

01:15:08 we have one we cannot move in theater 9

01:15:23 notify all the hospitals we’ve got people coming in

01:16:12 if they are mobile, get them outside. We’ve got a few that are not mobile.

01:23:47 the guy's still in theater 9 im working on a backboards for taht female. 01:23:51

01:25:01 suspect is going to be male, unknown race, black camo outside outfit believed to be wearing a vest, gas mask and multiple long guns. 01:25:10

Filed under: Colorado • Crime • Justice
  1. Ban ALL GUNS NOW!

We ALL know this is the most sensible thing to do. Now is the time to do it. The 2nd Amendment was never intended for rednecks to have guns. Take ALL guns from people NOW and kill them if they try to stop the government from doing so. Do it NOW!

July 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You can also ban kitchen knives and coat hangers while you're at it. People are killed by those too. I'm not sure, but it might be possible to kill someone with a toothpick. You can also bury someone alive in sand to kill them, so let's ban sand now!

It's going to be next to impossible to ban water though, your body being 98% water, but yes, you can kill people with water.

July 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda S

Stereotyping people is not the answer. A graduate in neurosciences, who was for a while pursuing an advanced degree in it, is not exactly a "redneck." Some of the most reponsible gun owning people are who you would lump into "rednecks." They have respect for the weapons they own. The problem is that obtaining weapons like the ones this murderer carried is far too easy. And that the background checks are far too quick and cursory. I completely support a person's right to own a firearm, I just wish there was amore stringent process before being able to buy one.

July 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Moi

The 10 ten countries in terms of firearm homicides rate relative to size of population: Colombia, Guatemala, Paraguay, Zimbabwe, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belarus, Barbados, United States, Uruguay. There is a message here, I believe...

July 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nick

Has nothing to do with guns, movies, or media. It has to do with how we treat eachother as human beings. People that usually do this stuff are emotionally disturbed because of things real-life humans did to them. People who lead easy-going and happy lives do not behave this way.

July 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

If we treated eachother and our own children with respect and LOVE we would not be here. This includes respecting others beliefs, heritages, ethnicity, treating all people equal, showing CONCERN, not being controlling of others freedoms, etc. Plus, unfortunately, many people believe that LOVE means harsh disciple toward their children. Well, apparently the kids who go around shooting people and hating society do not feel that way.

July 20, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff

Gun politics are for another day. Let this time be the quiet time of prayer for the families who still have funerals upcoming and years of heartache .

July 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brandon

Well, this has convinced me to finally get a CCW. I won't let my life be determined by some maniac with a whim and a gun.

July 20, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotanexpertbutIstayedHIexpress

You do that Brandon. I promise you will never get a shot off in that situation, but go ahead and get a gun. That gun will more likely kill you or someone you love, but go ahead and get a gun.

July 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • james higgs

yes you should, but PLEASE be responsible, I got mine a year ago and have been carrying a glock 26 ever since. seek out a training course for such a thing, check local gun shops. if you dont have experience with guns PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a safety course, and go to the range often, you need to be competent with your weapon if you are going to trust your life to it. dont carry cheap ammo, get quality frangible ammo, like hollow points, that way you dont hit the two people be hind the guy you were shooting at.

July 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • GL

Because a small concealed handgun would have stopped a maniac with an assault rifle and packed in kevlar. :')

July 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • james higgs

because every murdering criminal has kevlar? silly me, I should have thought of that.

July 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. livingston

Terrifying to read – unimaginable to be there..

July 20, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Valorie

I have my CCL. I practice with it and I am a good shot. I have been vetted by the government to carry it. I have taken all the required lessons. I did not receive the CCL just because I asked for it. . . I was trained. Knowing what it takes to get a CCL, I would much rather be in a room with someone licensed to carry. If there had been a licensed person with a gun who had stood up and stopped this person, he or she would be called a hero today. No trained person was there and 12 people died and 59 were injured. Before you down play people with Concealed Carry Licenses, you should see what kind of training it takes to get one.

July 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • NeoGraphix

And you might have been shot as well. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you won't be killed while holding it.

July 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

It was a sure bet people like you were bound to show up regurgitating the same old Wild West fantasy rubbish that if only someone else with a gun had just stood up and fired...
      Stupid, willfully ignorant, and fancy gun or not – naive, that's what you are. Adolescents with no experience in the real world blather that kind of nonsense.
      The last thing needed, in a smokey theatre filled with panicking people being mowed down by some sociopath with high output weaponry is YOU standing up and whipping YOUR gun out. You'd more likely have shot a few more people. The best you'd be likely to do is to become a target yourself and allow a few others to get away or under cover.
      Yeah, then we'll call you a big hero.

July 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

The Guzman was whering full ballistic armor. Your handgun would have done nothing to him, and gotten you killed instead. Having gun can't save you all the time.

July 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotanexpertbutIstayedHIexpress

You more then likely would have been killed by the gunmen then you killing him. He had body armor on from head to toe. And then comes the likelihood you would have shot the wrong person, but keep up your Hollywood fantasies.

July 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scott

My complete sympathy to the people of Aurora and all those who have lost loved ones.
    May your community come together in this time of need and support eachother through this tragedy.

July 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Common Sense

Everyone needs to take a breath and slow down. There is no point in arguing politics here. This is not the time or place for it. There are some of us that are actually trained to carry firearms and do to have the capability of protecting ourselves or another in the event of something going bad. Not everyone is a gun toting idiot. Right now we should be talking about the unfortunate event that happened and thank whoever you look up to that you are safe and able to have an arguement like this.

July 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Valorie

Brandon – go ahead and get a gun. Take lessons from a trained professional. Practice with it. Get your CCL. Follow the safety rules. You will NOT regret it

July 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ks

I am afraid to watch this movie in theater.

July 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • atlsouth56

Then wait for the DVD

July 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kevin

Soon, movie theatre, mall, and schools will require airline style security screening before people gets in. Welcome to the United States of Police!

July 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. XMP

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

July 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. pntkl

This is beyond any comprehension–I can't bring myself to read the rest of this blotter right now. 😦

July 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chuck

I am all for getting a gun for protection...in Canada where I am it is not p[possible to carry one. My thoughts are this though. It's one thing to buy, practice and carry a gun, but if you pull it and freeze....you are now a prime target and just gave the bad guy a new toy. Many talk a big game about what they would do, but few are actually capable of following through. Nobody can say they are able to shoot another human being until they actually are faced with the situation...I served in the military and saw time after time guys freeze...I froze first time and I was trained daily since this was my job. Then once the trigger is squeezed there is no do over or restart...it's done and even if it is Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson or whoever...it's still killing and hard to come back from....really think hard about what you are doing before buying a gun. It's easy to say it is for protection, but when the bullet hits the flesh it's not a nice neat hole that you see in movies and death is not something you can train for.

July 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |