July 20th, 2012

Police log: 'I need somebody to shut this movie off'

Following is a preliminary, raw transcript of the first 30 minutes of the call log from Aurora Police Department dispatch tapes after the fatal shootings at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado.

1:00:07 315 and 314, first shooting at century theatres, 14 300 East Alameda avenue, they're saying somebody's shooting in the auditorium. 01:00:16

01:00:30 315 and 314 there is at least 1 person that's been shot but they're saying there's hundreds of people just running around. 01:00:36

01:03:42 315 be advised i think somebody's sprayed some gas over there too. 01:03:46

01:03:59 316 i need a rescue in here hot, see we got a guy shot. Inside of theater 9? Just outside of theater 9. 01:04:08

01:04:25 team 6 we got another person outside shot in the leg, a female, i got people running outside the theater that are shot in room 9. 01:04:33

01:04:39 318 i got another victim on the north side of this theater the parking lot. 01:04:43

01:05:05 from what I’m smelling inside I can – smells like it’s OC, maybe 2

01:05:14 get us some damn gas masks for theater 9 we can’t get in it

01:06:14 16 I need a marked car behind the theater stable side,suspect in a gas mask. 01:06:22

01:06:50 everyone hold the air one second, cars where that white car in the rear of the lot, is that a suspect? YES! we've got rifles, gas masks, you can see him ive got a open door going into the theater, OK hold that position, hold that suspect! 01:07:05

01:09:23 16 I got 7 down in theater 9! & down! 01:09:28

01:09:58 one of the shooters might be wearing a white and blue plaid shirt 01:10:03

01:10:09 I’ve got a child victim, I need rescue at the back door of theater 9 now! 01:10:13

01:12:29 (woman crying hysterically, help!) 01:12:34 (heard in the background; it’s a woman with a groaning cry)

01:13:07 I’ve got one victim eviscerated 01:13:09

01:14:21 I need somebody to shut this movie off in 9, how do we shut the movie off in 9?

01:14:29 everybody get on this, it's an assault rifle, we got magazines down inside, everybody watch out for the assault rifle. 01:14:35

01:14:55 do I have permission to start taking some of these victims via car? We’ve got a whole bunch of people shot out here and no rescue … yes, load ‘em up, get ‘em in cars, get ‘em out of here.

01:15:08 we have one we cannot move in theater 9

01:15:23 notify all the hospitals we’ve got people coming in

01:16:12 if they are mobile, get them outside. We’ve got a few that are not mobile.

01:23:47 the guy's still in theater 9 im working on a backboards for taht female. 01:23:51

01:25:01 suspect is going to be male, unknown race, black camo outside outfit believed to be wearing a vest, gas mask and multiple long guns. 01:25:10

Filed under: Colorado • Crime • Justice
  1. Robert

Don't let this turn into a gun control argument! There were babies killed by this madman. There just has to be a way to stop these things from happening, but the world hasn't figured out how yet. My heart goes out to the victims of another senseless tragedy. Becoming all too familiar these acts of violence for no reason other than mental illness.

July 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Stapleton

Um, all you CCL haters remember this. The police had guns for which they were trained to carry. The shooter was stopped when the police with guns arrived at the scene. Even if a CCL shooter couldn't have taken down the shooter, they may have scared him into hiding, possibly preventing some loss. Whatever you think, I would much much rather have a CCL gun and training, point it back at him, instead of just hoping he doesn't choose me as his target.

July 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Reason

Yes, the shooter was wearing a kevlar vest, which protects his chest only. His head, arms, and legs were not protected. Multiple shots from a handgun could have killed him or taken him down and left him too wounded to continue the assault. There is no guarantee having a handgun would have allowed a citizen to take him down, but they would have had a fighting chance instead of being a helpless victim as they all were in this case.

As for the dark and smoke, there are many such scenarios like this that are NOT in dark smokey theaters where shots are obstructed. The recent attempted robbery at an internet cafe in Florida where a 71 year old man with a CCW shot the two robbers, driving them from he store is one example. He was an ordinary retiree with a small handgun, not a cop or specially trained guy, and yet his handgun turned the tables on the attackers. The Virginia Tech massacre and many other such incidents could have been dramatically lower casualties if any of the victims had been lawfully armed with a CCW permit, and trained to use their handgun for defense of their lives and others.

July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Annie Get Your Gun

Had someone in that theater been armed then this lunatic could have been stopped during his rampage. You cannot prevent the "bad guys" from getting guns and the government should have no business preventing the "good guys" from protecting themselves from the bad guys, by carrying concealed weapons for their own defense. I know a lot of people that conceal carry and I feel a lot safer in public places knowing that these people are armed.

July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • cryzzzlc

I would usually agree with this, but this psycho had no criminal record. He was considered a "good guy" when he legally bought his guns. What can we do about that?
      I suspect it is going to come out that he had a diagnosed mental illness. This is possibly why he was so interested in Neuroscience. This isn't the first time a mentally ill person is allowed to buy guns before going on a full blown psycho killer rampage. Among other giant loopholes, mental illness MUST become part of background checks!!!

July 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Absolute nonsense. Remember North Hollywood? Hundreds of cops couldn't stop those guys for over half an hour. Such absolutes don't exist in the real world.

July 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • channeltochannel

Probably wouldn't have been stopped with all the armor he was wearing.

July 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joeoc2002

While I agree with the right to bear arms, and common sense tells me that you are correct, statistics tell us both that we are incorrect. I have no answers.

July 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • COncerned citzen

I certainly agree! If someone had been carrying suspect wouldn't of done so much damage.

July 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • callahan9119

Yeah, just what you need in a dark, crowded movie theater, thick with tear gas and with people panicking and running all over the place....Crossfire. Genius.

You people make the most absurd statements.

July 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wyoming Gal

Oh Please. Didn't you read about all the body armor he had on. He had every part of his body protected. I hate all the gun nuts that think if someone was carrying there would be no tragedy. Idiotic thinking

July 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wyoming Gal

He had body armor on. What a dumb comment.

July 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

He bought all of his guns legally. Obviously overly restrictive gun laws had nothing to do with it.

But I doubt you care about the facts nearly as much as you care about your ideology, which includes the belief that it's relatively difficult for Americans buy firearms and it's BECAUSE OF THE LIBERALS.

July 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • aa

I totally agree...you will never be able to take the guns out of the hands of a criminal but if someone had a gun with them for the sole purpose of protection then the number of casualties could have possibly been cut in half. Seriously people...if we lived in a country where every law abiding citizen had to give up their guns the criminals would still have them..there would be nothing to think twice about they would just break in to your home and kill your entire family and rob you while they are at it because they know you cant protect yourself. It's difficult to talk gun control when criminals will always find a way to keep them and have them and find them....i have a conceal permit and i know for a fact it takes a few months to get approved because they have to look for a criminal record for the entire country not just in your county or state...so its not me or anyone else that has a conceal permit that you all need to worry about...its the criminals

July 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • reldra

In the dark? In all that chaos? The last thing needed was MORE guns. Did the NRA pay you for that post?

July 20, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rod

I find it amazing to see people say, " Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you won't get shot". What a moronic statement. I would rather be in a position to fight for my life than to to just be shot to death like a stray dog. Oh my...I have no chance of defending my self so screw it...lead me to slaughter like sheep. The liberal mind-set baffles me.

July 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becky

I am a die hard liberal, and I assure you, that I do have a conceal carry, and more guns than most conservatives. I would not have hesitated to let that man meet the barrel of MY 9mm.

Just because you are a liberal, doesnt mean that you are against guns.

July 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

You must be the world's biggest idiot if you think things would have turned out better if untrained civilians starting shooting back IN A DARKENED MOVIE THEATER with people running in all directions.

July 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtenay Lowery Neff

Screw off. If it weren't for the lax gun laws in this country, the several deaths that happened today wouldn't have been. I happen to be a mother of 2 daughters, own a small business, pay my taxes and contribute to my community and country. I don't have any faith that hand guns will be controlled in my life time or my daughters and the fact that almost every day, you read a story in your community or somewhere else that someone has been killed by a handgun, doesn't seem to affect many people, or enough to make a change. I am leaving this country after my kids get through high school and so will they. I have no faith in lawmakers to work out their differences. And no, I have nothing against hunters, you NRA freaks!

July 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • NRA

More people are killed every day by drunk drivers then guns, let's ban cars and ride horses.

July 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • longshot

thanks NRA

July 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John Stapleton

No, most Americans are worried that a crazy physco shoots up a theater they are in, or a restaurant, or a bank, or a....

July 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John

I think a study should be done to survey high school kids to ask them how many times they've done this exact same thing in video games. Then ask what type of body armor they had, what type of weapons they carried, etc...

July 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stacie

There has bwwn absolutely no evidence linking video game violence and those players doing that in reality...are you one of those that get hysterical over Ozzy and Judas Priest songs also??

July 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Stacie, you claim there is no evidence, when what I asked for is a study... to collect evidence.

What do you have against universities studying social issues? Is knowledge bad? If so, why?

July 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

I think a survey should be done to see which video games have a fight scene where you can carry guns and tear gas into movie theaters.

Never mind.

July 20, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John O'Rourke

I read your comment JC. Let me just say, that it doesn't matter what the media thinks about you, but only what God thinks about you. I don't know you, but I will say that God loves and cares for you no matter the colour of your skin, be it white, black or anything for that matter. Bottom line – you matter to God, and that's all that matters

love in Christ Jesus,
    John O'Rourke
    Sligo, Ireland

July 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aurora

She is the only person who's family has 'okayed' to have her idenity released, don't be so quick to hate, please!

July 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Reason

Terrorists have demands or political agendas and use the threat of violence (reinforced by it's actual use) to pressure a government to comply with demands. It is political coercion through violence and the threat of further violence.

This attacker does not seem to fit that profile based on what limited info the cops & FBI have released so far. He appears to be a disturbed individual who committed mass-murder by himself, not as a member of a movement or group, and not with the goal of making demands after the fact, which would require other associates NOT in custody to be able to carry out further attacks if demands were not met.

July 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. NRASlaphappy

@ John Stapleton
    Ok let’s role-play You are in the theater and you are fully trained the shooter comes in starts opening fire… being a dark theater you draw your weapon take a minute to line up your shot… you take a breath and you pull the trigger. However you did not know he was wearing armor that stopped him from being hurt… however he saw your muzzle flash and now opens fire in your direction with a full burst… since he is not really caring what he hits. The family of 6 seating around you has now been murdered due to your actions… while yes there was always a chance they would come under fired you just increased the odds by 300%. I say thank you for taking it upon yourself to get my family and friends murdered in the process of you trying to be a hero.

July 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jordan Knoll

There's a difference between being a hero and defending your life. All this anti gun stuff is null and void, this guy shot everyone regardless. Shot a 3-4 month old baby. I mean seriously think about it, if this guy is willing to shoot a baby, you think that family sitting there wasn't going to get shot at? It was free game to this guy, that's clear. My 9mm Glock 19 will punch through a veitnam era flak vest. There are different kinds of vest. Fragmentation vest, pistol caliber vest, and rifle caliber vest. A marine that I worked with had a friend die in iraq even with a lllA vest on. Bullet went in just under the front plate and bonced off the second plate in back. A grown protector is for fragmentation, so is everything other that his vest I would assume and his helmet since I have seen in a video a marine get hit in the head and knocked out with a 7.62×39, but it didn't penetrate the helmet.

If and I mean if the police would have had to fight this guy, you do understand that most of them are issued either 9mm, .40cal, or .45cal. So if you think that no one in the movie could have stopped him, then how could the police? Not every patrol car has an AR15 in it, and if he had a rifle plated vest a .223/5.56 wont penetrate it anyway. You guys are null and void, by the way you make it sound, you think only a LEO knows how to put the front sight on a target and squeeze a trigger, or what will penetrate what.

Theboxoftruth.com there's a good starting point for you.

July 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

And thats why you aim for the face, gas masks aren't bullet proof! Regardless, this man was out to harm and kill as many as he could, I would much rather have a citizen with a gun and the balls at least take action and attempt to put an end to this then nothing at all. Who knows how many more people may be saved , or killed, but at least someone would have made an attempt. When Congresswomen Gifford's was shot in AZ there were people there with guns who decided not to attempt to shoot into the crowd with all the caos going on, and I completely agree with that, however, two different scenarios. I can tell you one thing, if I had been in there with a gun, I would have taken a shot, at least maybe more lives could have been saved. But thats me coming from an extensive firearms background. I wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same way. But I HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND MYSELF, your damn right I am going to use it!

July 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

So,

Having no knowledge of how actual guns and ballistic armor work, you program into your scenario an assumption that being shot with say, a .40S&W at close range has no effect on you at all. Since a Level IIa ballistic vest is not quite the same as T-51b Powered Armor from Fallout, let's make a case study: You put on a ballistic vest and my assistant Beeker will shoot you twice in the center mass with a Spingfield XDM. Then let's see you continue to stand up and fire.

July 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Knotty Boy

That's a powerful scenario, Slappy. I'm sure you've convinced us all to sit back, cower like rabbits and let some disconnected psychopath just shoot everyone he or she wants at will. If we took your suggestion, the only way anyone would get out of the place alive is if the assailant ran out of bullets before he finished the job... that is since everyone in your world would simply do nothing.

Well, except maybe run and scream.

July 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jordan Knoll

I hope they give this guy the death penalty, and torture him for years and years. He deserves nothing less than that, for what he did. You don't shoot unarmed people, and you don't shoot children. If only he would have just put that G22 to his head and off'd himself. All those people would still be here, living their lives. For all you future mass murders out there, please do us all a favor and just shoot yourself if you're really going to do something like this. If you're scared of hell, just remind yourself that you will be going there if you do something like this.

To all the anti gun folks, there's probably between 100-120 million unregistered firearms in the united states. Good luck finding them all...

July 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • NRA

Yes, a gruesome public nationally televised execution might be a deterrent.

July 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

A good high school study could start out asking general questions like "how many times have you killed multiple people at random in a video game" with no specific game mentioned or senerio. Answers could be 10, 100, 1000, ... and then start to get more specific, like asking what games, if they were wearing body armor while killing, what kinds of weapons, did they enjoy it (obviously), were the people killed armed, did you kill defenseless bystanders, did you care about them (obviously not), did you kill them when you were bored, was it exciting to kill them, was it funny, did you get power rewards, did you get more strength when you killed them, was there any punishment for killing them, etc...

The last one is key, isn't it?

It would be good to get a solid, funded study going that asks simple questions like this, so the general population can understand why impressionable, power hungry, controlling, depressed, or mentally unstable people do such things, similar to what they'd do in a game, for much the same reasons, or lack thereof.

July 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • abc

John, there's a good Penn & Teller: BS episoide for you called "Video Games"

July 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

Let's not stop at video games. Don't forget violent movies, music, and even books. Books can make mentally stable people kill too! Just look at Eric and Dylan, Jared Loughner, and all the others. They were totally mentally sound until they saw and heard the wrong fiction.

July 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Home Grown Terrorists

Our worst domestic terrorists have been young, white, men – Columbine, Timothy McVey – the list goes on. This has nothing to do with race – it's a mindset of evil in our own country. It's the insane notion that we need guns to be real Americans. Madness doesn't come close to describing this. Call me a liberal – but if we liberals have to be the only voice of reason – so be it.

July 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

While I can agree that a shoootout between this individual and armed civilians might has just added to the chaos, it also had the possibility of stopping this individual before he could do any more damage. A weapon in the hands of a competent, well trained person can realistically stop things like this from happening. By the way, some of you should do some research on body armor. It doesn't make you invincible and depending on what type you have, it will only stop certain calibers. Regardless you are still subjected to the impact of that round, which will still hurt TREMENDOUSLY

July 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |