Case of missing Iowa girls an 'abduction,' police say
10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey, left, and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins went missing in Evansdale, Iowa.
July 20th, 2012

Case of missing Iowa girls an 'abduction,' police say

The case of two missing Iowa girls is now being called an abduction after the search of a lake near where the cousins were last seen turned up nothing.

"Those girls are not in that lake," Black Hawk County Sheriff's Deputy Rick Abben told reporters Friday. "Obviously, within a week if they were lost they would have been found by now."

"Since we can't find them, they're not in the lake, we're calling it an abduction," Abben said.

Lyric Cook, 10, and her cousin Elizabeth Collins, 8, were last seen by their grandmother on July 13 when they left on a bike ride.

Their bicycles and a purse were found near Meyers Lake hours after they were reported missing.

Scent dogs following the girls' trail led searchers around the lake and stopped at the water's edge, according to Lyric's mother, Misty Cook-Morrissey.

Meanwhile, authorities have searched the home of Cook-Morrissey and Wylma Cook, who is a grandmother to both girls, with the women's consent.

The two women said they also provided investigators with a key to get into the attic.

Investigators confiscated Cook-Morrisey's computers with her consent, she said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Iowa
  1. Kansas

I don't know if anyone else noticed, nor did I scan through all the comments here, but in the interview I saw, the mother kept saying "to the MAN who did this, return them and no charges will be pressed." How could she not know something if she is referring to a Male abductor?

July 23, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Brandy Midason

Why is this story receiving national attention, can someone please explain that ?

July 23, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chad

Why shouldn't some poor missing girls be national news? You'd rather have news about who Tom Cruise is dating instead of missing children?

July 23, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

Are you completely incompetent? It is receiving national attention because there are small children missing. If it was secluded to the state or town the girls may never be found. If someone took them they won't stay anywhere near the girls' homes they will leave;therefore, national attention informs people to look. If it was your child you'd want all the attention possible to get them home safe.

July 23, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Han Mossisely

Why not?

July 23, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Missknowitall

You have no children, right? Not a put-down, it is a fact that most folks become very concerned about the vulnerability of children once they are responsible for them. Unfortunately, it doesnt always make them good or careful parents.
      We are also durned sick and tired of the abuse,neglect, torture, and murder that is inflected on the children everywhere. Those may be two reasons.

July 23, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • david

brandy..if these were your children, you'd want maximum attention (exposure) given to your plight. duh

July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

@ Brandy: You're wondering why this story has gained national media attention? There are two missing girls who seemed to vanish into thin air... of course this story is receiving national attention. Why wouldn't it?

July 23, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Christina R

Why shouldn't it be? If it was your children that were missing, you'd want their photos plastered country-wide, too!

July 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • meadowmuffin

You are an idiot...

July 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • KellyG

You must be very young and not a parent. How would your parents have felt if you had gone missing when you were a child? Would they have wanted everyone, local and national, to help find you? I can't believe after the Jaycee Dugard story someone can be so ignorant, unfeeling and insensitive! Had this gone national back then, this beautiful soul might not have had to suffer for years! I wish you had even a fraction of her grace and intelligence.

July 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • kisha carter

@Brandy. Did you or your husband take these childre? You freakin idiot. There are children missing so why would it not make national news. If anybody see Brandy and her husband with two children that they will claim to be their nieces, stop them. hogg tie tham and call authorities. Just plain ole DUMB.... SMH @ ignorance

July 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annie

Because they are white, b/c the news likes to sensationalize headlines, b/c 'nothing ever happens in Iowa', because they are trying to sell ads.

July 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

The better question is why do trolls such as yourself seek attention by posting idiotic comments?

July 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vince

Brandy: I'm still trying to figure out why Trayvon Martin was national news.

July 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troll Cop

Brandy,
      (deep breath in... exhale) The point of "commenting" is not to judge whether it should be national news or not... I am sure you meant no harm in the question.... (deep breath in...exhale) you see... two little girls (I refrain from color or location as it is really has no business in this seeing that this 2012 not 1955)... I digress. These two girls are missing and they need to found. You see a very bad person may have harmed them, or taken them far away from home and harmed them. National news let's other people around the whole country (and even the world) see the story so that maybe they can help, or just read and do nothing at all. There is no formula for what will make the national news, some say a "slow news day" can lead to "less" interesting stories being published. Let's just both..no let's just all agree, now that we read it, we want them to be found safe...OK?

To all the parent's... go tell your child you love them right now, if that is all you get out of a National story. You can train your kids all you want, but if somebody wants your child...they will twhen the opportunity arises. Take away the abductors opportunities and talk to your children about ways to stay safe when you are not there. A loved kid is mindful kid. IF you don't show them love, why the hell should they listen to you.

(NOTE: I guarantee 100% that ignorant replies will follow this post. Let me guess: something to do with race and little white girls vs. little black girls, probably a Travon Martin response, hell we might get a stretch and even get a gun control comment.)

July 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Glades2

It could be just a sad coincidence, but perhaps the parent's drug history has nothing to do with this disappearance, but no doubt law enforcement will continue to check that possibility, since it is a possibility.

July 23, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. TheSpoorb

Hello father of six here. Not saying that anyone could have trained these girls to be ninjas but, self defense is an important part of life. I train all my capable children in martial arts, but at the least children should be made aware of current dangers and how to react appropriately.

July 23, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. joefrombronx

Yeah like that guy said. Teach your children nunchuka

July 23, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. halfpint

It's a shame they wasted so much valuable time on the lake instead of out looking for them. I really hope at this point that it's not too late.

July 23, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Hydropolis

I am father to 2 beautiful angels. All I can say is this, Phillip needs a dose of his own medicine. As for banasy, my heart goes out to you. As for the missing girls, I know if my girls went missing, their abductor had better hope n pray that the cops find them before I do. Cops may put him in jail, but I'll put them under it. I served in the Army, practiced martial arts, and qualified as a sniper as well. I don't dare someone to take my girls but I wouldn't even pray that God show em mercy once I find them too. This, of course, is hypothetical and my girls are safe with me as they always are. My love and prayers to those who have lost a child for any reason.

July 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • slendergrl

I'm with you Hydropolis...Smith and Wesson is right around the corner from where I live and I think I'll be purchasing from them soon. I'm really sick of hearing stories about people taking kids. Maybe some of us should form a national coalition to inform parents about child safety and create a network with one another..city by city then state by state. We need to take action...

July 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

DB you must be a true believer in GOD!! Not very many people are. GOD is done with America. It says it in the bible. Not very many people read and follow the bible anymore. God is taking out of everything. God has to be number one and reading the bible and praying is the only way to keep the devil away. Jesus says ye shall be hated by all for my name sake. Shame on you if people love you then ye are from the world. THANK YOU GOD for saving me and my husband!!! I would be DEAD in hell burning if it wasn't for GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Annie

Ah, yes, the archaic worship of the sky fairy. Put the bible down and start reading into reality.

July 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • jujube48

"God is done with America. It says it in the Bible."???!!! The word America is not in the Bible. The Bible was written 2000 years ago in the Far East. Get an education and stop quoting your Fundamentalist crap.

Two children are missing, and they need to be found. This is a CRIME, perpetrated by a CRIMINAL, not a payback to the USA by God. No divine conspiracy theory. A kidnapping.

August 15, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Margeret

Wow. Brandy do you not care about those little girls? I hope they are all right

July 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Omar

Great blog! I truly love how it's easy on my eyes and also the information are well writetn. I am wondering how I can be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick! Have a nice day!

August 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. big bird

Missing children I believe were taken by someone they knew, missy's boyfriend who was arrested near the end of July for drugs. His dad has a house within a hundred feet of where they found the bikes. Had a paddle boat which was put up for sale a couple of weeks ago on craigs list. I would hope the FBI used the dogs to see if he picked the kids up on the paddle boat and took them to the house where who knows where he might have taken them. I hope for their safe return.

August 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. lheureux brandy

I have a funny feeling that the answer lies on the paddleboater that wont seem to come forward.

August 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply