July 23rd, 2012

Attacks in Iraq kill at least 76 people, officials say

The death toll from several attacks across Iraq rose Monday to 76, Interior Ministry officials said.

Dozens were wounded.

The deadliest attacks happened in the town of Taji, roughly 20 miles north of Baghdad, where a car bomb and four roadside bombs exploded in a residential complex, killing 32 people and wounding 43, authorities said.

In another attack, at an Iraqi military base north of Baghdad, militants armed with mortars and small arms killed at least 15 soldiers, according to the officials.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iraq
  1. HIDE BEHIND

By time one graduated into high school a student had read and understood one or more works of Shakepere, Chauser, multiple books of Plutrach Lives, had a basic understanding of algebra. geometry and Seemed like ever damn famous american who had ever lived.
    American authors and poets were read. and yess we had our spelling B'S every year.
    we also. before graduating, had to pick a period of Ametican history or President to present and then explain our choice of
    topic.
    When we got to nearest towns high school many could not get classes they needed and spent at least first year with boneheads in general classes.
    Sad but most dropped out of school.

July 23, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

Great story. And quite the education served to you. I too enjoyed such fruit. Only I was into vocational machine shop, vocational welding, and vocational auto mechanics. 6 hrs of vocational training each day. I did have to watch fiddler on the roof and do a report once. he he. And I got my only less-than B grade from my history teacher, who gave me a D for constantly humiliating him. Remember the Alamo my ass! LMAO.
    i loved the HECK out of school K-12. Wouldn't change a thing. (except teachers couldn't spot an abused child for nothing)

July 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

@HIDE BEHIND Great stuff. Did your grammar school have mock elections? I remember the one we had in the 3rd grade. Nixon vs. Humphrey vs. Wallace. I voted for George Wallas b/c my dad was all about Nixon and mom was a Humphrey. Wondering if yours or todays do/did the same. Who'd ya vote for.

July 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

My 8th grade civics teacher trashed my American History. His class is where I first learned of George Washington becoming president b/c revolution troops hel congress at gunpoint demanding payment for service and make George King. John Hansen, America's true first leader, was 10 George's in brainpower and wisdom. Plus he was rich. Not bad for a black man back then. 🙂 My senior HS history teacher gave me a D though my answers were correct. His books were wrong as his fat ass was. What a putrid example of a man for kids. He looked like what Michael Moore crossed with Rush Limbaugh would look, take-away rush's tan and add extra milktoast skin tone. 48" gut and 7" biceps. But that doesn't even stop ya from being a fireman.

July 23, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meredith

What? What does his looks have to do with anything? Is a student so shallow that he focuses on a teacher's looks? Bet is he was a she and 22 years old, it'd be a different story. Also, a teacher grades on the content of the book that is taught, not some smarty pants kid who THINKS he knows better than the teacher. If one doesn't know what regulations a teacher is bound by, one should not comment about the curriculum OR the appearance of the teacher. I'll bet you're nothing to write home about, either!

July 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ringo

Well,here we go again and again and again.Frankly I'm not sure if we should keep trying to guess what these so-called"insurgents"want,beyond murdering their fellow Muslims.Its been said that their stated aim is to sow discord and instability in the country.To what end,exactly? Here's a question:Can peace,harmony,and prosperity flourish in any nation whose leaders bombed and murdered their way to power? I don't the so-called Muslim world has ever learned that lesson;certainly Iraq and Afghanistan haven't yet realized it.Over 100 Muslims murdered by fellow Muslims.What else is there to say? Any Muslims out there want to weigh in? Please feel free.Please.

July 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |