Stunning pictures arise from New York storm
Storm clouds blanketed New York's Columbus Circle Thursday.
July 26th, 2012

Stunning pictures arise from New York storm

The warnings of severe thunderstorms in the New York area started coming in Thursday afternoon. But anyone outside who looked up didn't need to hear it from the National Weather Service - the sky told them.

Finding beauty in violent storms.

Dark clouds - and then lighting - provided awe-inspiring images around the region.

Photos: Storms hits Northeast

"The brunt of the storm itself was intense but short," iReporter Matthew Burke of New York City said. "There was very strong rain and wind for about 15 minutes, at which point the rain cleared and the lightning show began."

Gawker and the New York Daily News posted photos of the heavy clouds that appeared to blanket the sky and barrel down to the ground all at once.

The storms that hit central New York were severe, and wind gusts that may exceed 80 mph were forecast for metropolitan New York City and expected to arrive Thursday night.

Did you snap photos of Derecho? Share your images with CNN.

Photos: Storm chasers

1. drap® ™

Is Ghost Busters III still in the works... .?

July 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Kinda looks that way...
      Stunning photo.

July 26, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoDoubt

Exactly what I though of when I saw that picture

August 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

We were supposed to go through these derechos for the second time. The first tore up property and part of our house on the 29th of last month, and they want pictures? I didn't want to be in this.

July 27, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • s kel

my home hit over ninety degrees inside, roof tore off apt building roof three blocks from my home from same storm.

July 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

CNN hire these crazy hurricane news anchors. They put em in little red coats every 10 miles up and down the coast. They tie off thier ankles with logging chains hooked to the satellite trucks.

July 27, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

You can't see the chains when thier waist deep in water.

July 27, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Well, I don't know Meredith, but speaking strictly from a educational point of view, any source that ends with blogspot is unsubstantiated opinion. This means nothing.

July 27, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

Everytime it rains in Tx is a picture moment! Living in H-Town or the Hill Country, the Rain & Thunder Shows are beautiful & dangerous! A large part of the nation is in a drought situation! Are we just celebrating "rain" in general or spectacular thunderstorms!? Last year my state was in 100 yr drought & was also burning; this year we've had some rain & are rebuilding from the fires! I feel for the drought hit states & those, like Colorado, that have had to contend w/fires on top of drought! As far as storms go, the most spectacular I ever saw was coming back to L.A. in '85! There was a mountain peak w/an active cloud on top, just crackling w/lightning & activity! I let down the window of my car to hear the thunder! Later that night I saw my mountain on the news, because it was so unusual; the proverbial thundercloud on the mountain peak! Let it rain, y'all!!

July 27, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Teshager Debbasu

I am so confuission for new york accident

July 27, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Great story @fernace. I especially liked the "my mountain" part. It shows that this memory of yours is very special and not going away any time soon. You made it your own.
    I used to do that for mountains and valleys and even a few storms. Now it's mostly stupid stuff like nazi Germany and the news. Sad, really.
    Thanks for the strory. It went well with my coffee. :)

July 27, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. maysnake00

Me and my 14 years old son were in the middle of the central park in the W100 area when we noticed scary black clouds formation looked like whirlpool spinning around. My son only said "Dad, just don't say the word Tornado!" and we start running all the way home on Columbus ave.

July 27, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. fernace

@ Philip, glad you liked it & you're right! It's my mountain now & a memory I'll keep w/me forever! @ maysnake00, y'all must have been right in the middle of this spectacular storm! Hope you & your son got home before getting soaked! Have a good Fri. every1 & do a lil' raindance for those who need it!! ;-)

July 27, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. Hope

Beautiful work, Seaman...

Great post, Fernace!

~Let it Rain!
    Hope

July 27, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff of Peoria

You've never seen this before? Please!!! We normally get those storms all the time. Get out of the building once in a while.

August 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jason

Wow.....Dark clouds. Here on Earth no less.....

August 20, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |