Overheard on CNN.com: 'Trying to explain what cricket is to my coworkers is fantastic'
The opening ceremony dazzled as the London 2012 Olympic Games kicked off Friday.
July 27th, 2012

And, the Olympics are off! Follow along on the live blog, read about the first day and check out some of the comments that caught our eyes.

London 2012: Live blog

As CNN producers update the live blog with photos and anecdotes, readers are joining right in to the conversation. Here are a couple we saw:

Harry: "Even if people keep saying it, never have I been prouder to call myself British, and a Londoner, even if I currently live in New York. NY has nothing on the Greatest City in the World!!!"

markl: "Proud to be British, even at the other side of the world. Trying to explain what cricket is to my co-workers is fantastic. 'You play for 5 days and it can still end in a tie' ... priceless."

Some of the readers asked about the meaning of things they were seeing from the opening ceremony.

Doubt: "What are the children leading each delegation carrying in their hands?"

Jonathan Stevenson (CNN): "Good question. The copper petals being carried by a child leading each delegation have that country's name inscribed and they will all have a role in the ceremony later. So now you really can't go anywhere, otherwise you'll never find out."

One of the most talked-about aspect of the Olympics on Friday was Mitt Romney’s tough reception in London.

Romney trip begins in shambles

NoTpUlLiNoUt: "I was actually glad to see the people of England hold Mr. Romney accountable for the comments he made, not like the media here in the States, scared to tell it like it is. Funniest headline I saw on one of the papers today in England 'Mitt the Twit' hahaahahahahaha!"

gregkells: "Yeah, because calling someone a name is certainly holding them accountable for making a statement that you disagree with (even though most of those same papers ran stories about how poorly planned the Olympics were just days before)."

The story of the blind archer really touched people. It also got them making a few jokes, but it was all mostly in fun. Some people were jealous.

Blind archer posts first world record of London Olympics

Some were in awe, and others had thoughts about the feat.

LiberalNewz2: "This has really made me open my eyes to what disabled people - whatever their supposed limitations are - can achieve."

USAlegend: "If you guys know even a little about archery, you should know that, while aiming at the target you should close one of your eyes to see better (because each eye looks at a different angle), and his right eye is blind by default. It didn't surprise me at all but still congratulations to him for breaking the previous record."

There were also some jokes, all in good fun.

evines: "A blind archer breaking records? I bet nobody saw that coming. ..."

hewhoseeks: "I certainly hope no employees of Target store are wearing their jackets near this guy."

One reader said he works with blind people and said he has noticed that legal blindness can make vision very difficult, despite the presence of some vision. He noted one simulation that he tried.

Daniel Dorfsman: "I did a simulation once where I wore a pair of glasses that were blacked out in one eye, and the other eye was extremely blurry. I would definitely refer to myself as blind in that moment. It was very hard to see but I could make out objects if I put them very close to my one good eye and I could identify people based on their body shape and hair color/length."

What's our take? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or share your views via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Olympics • Overheard on CNN.com • Sports • United Kingdom • World
  1. Victoria

I knew I would find my favorite people on one of these blogs. @banasy and @bobcat, I love you and missed you. I am not ignoring ma belle mère because I was able to tell her in person and she is still sleeping. You have my very best wishes and hopefully you and your families are well.

July 29, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Victoria.

I think this is really you, but I may be wrong. But in any case, it's good to hear from you. I'm happy to see you making such a good name for yourself, and expect to see you nationally soon.

July 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Victoria

@bobcat, it is me if it's really you. Thank you for the compliment. Now it is just logistics and you can see me. It's all alphabetical.

July 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yes Tori©
      It really is me too. it is so good to hear from you. you really do have to be carefull now. Thes trolls/hijackers have become relentless. But since you know my style, there should be no problem. If you have any doubts, let me know and I'll leave you a clue so you'll know.
      Thank you for letting me know where to look for you. How long are you home for now ?

July 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Victoria!
      You're back!
      I am so glad!
      I've missed you too, terribly!
      Welcome home, love!

I'll always be in blue; I'll probably miss some of the conversation, but none of the aggravation...

July 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

This is a true story friends

I had not been preaching long at a rather "staid and proper" congregation when a fellow I did not recognize came forward at the invitation. Upon questioning, I found that Earnest Ray was from "up in the hills" and he had come to church that morning to be baptized. Not only that, but he brought all of his friends and relatives with him. He said he wanted his relative to baptize him.

Not knowing the protocol of the new congregation, I let them get ready for the baptism while I waited with the rest of the church. All the while, I kept wondering, "Should I step back there and give his relative a couple of 'pointers' regarding the baptism?"

I should have gone back there.

When it came time for Earnest Ray to be baptized, his cousin said, "I now baptize you in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", and proceeded to dunk him under the water. The problem was, Earnest Ray panicked and grabbed hold of the edge of the baptistry.

The relative wasn't about to just baptize part of Earnest Ray. He held him under water and kept yelling "Turn Loose Earnest Ray! Turn Loose! It ain't gonna do you no good unless you turn Loose!" This went on until Earnest Ray passed out long enough to turn loose.

Needless to say, the congregation was no longer staid and proper. People were rollling in the aisles.

July 29, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Out of the mouths of babes

A father was at the beach with his children when his four-year-old son ran up to him, grabbed his hand, and led him to the shore, where a seagull lay dead in the sand. "Daddy, what happened to him?" the son asked. "He died and went to Heaven," the dad replied. The boy thought a moment and then said, "Did God throw him back down?"

July 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oy.
      So...in addition to the other various hats you wear, (including a white cowboy hat, kemosabe), you are a preacher man, too?
      I'll remember that.
      You can officiate at my ____________.

July 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Nah, I think I'll leave that preacher ti tle to other cetain individuals. I like to think of myself as a deliverer of humor, trivia, philisophical awareness and all around zanyism. Did I just create a new word ? If so, add creator of new words to my resume. When in the realm of the bobcat, especially he that wears the hat, expect that which is not expected, for the unexpected can happen unexpectedly. Did you epect that ?

July 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

But, I would be honored to officiate at your _______________, as master of ceremonies. But, I must be allowed to wear my hat.

July 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yeah, I saw that coming, Rawr, lol!
      I expect nothing less from you!
      And, well, the hat weraing goes without saying...
      Wait.
      I just said it, didn't I?
      Oh, boo.

July 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

S/B 'wearing'.
      But you got the gist, I expect.

July 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yes I got the gist. I've been trying to put some jokes up, but they're taking them down as quick as I put them there.

July 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I noticed.
      I guess they have to be as PC as possible, too, but still...
      I just got attacked by name, by someone on the CFA blog, and I haven't the faintest idea why.
      Bet *that* post stays up.

Oh, well...

July 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

It had been raining for days and days, and a terrible flood had come over the land. The waters rose so high that one man was forced to climb onto the roof of his house.

As the waters rose higher and higher, a man in a rowboat appeared, and told him to get in. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the man in the rowboat went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters rose higher and higher, and suddenly a speedboat appeared. "Climb in!" shouted a man in the boat. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the man in the speedboat went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters continued to rise. A helicopter appeared and over the loudspeaker, the pilot announced he would lower a rope to the man on the roof. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the helicopter went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters rose higher and higher, and eventually they rose so high that the man on the roof was washed away, and alas, the poor man drowned.

Upon arriving in heaven, the man marched straight over to God. "Heavenly Father," he said, "I had faith in you, I prayed to you to save me, and yet you did nothing. Why?" God gave him a puzzled look, and replied "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

July 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

An oldie, but a goodie.
      Kind of reminds me of the blonde and the lottery ticket joke...

July 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

After a few days, the Lord called to Adam and said, "It is time for you and Eve to begin the process of populating the earth so I want you to kiss her."

Adam answered, "Yes Lord, but what is a kiss?" So the Lord gave a brief description to Adam who took Eve by the hand and took her to a nearby bush.

A few minutes later, Adam emerged and said, "Thank you Lord, that was enjoyable."

And the Lord replied, "Yes Adam, I thought you might enjoy that and now I'd like you to caress Eve."

And Adam said, " 'What is a 'caress'? So the Lord again gave Adam a brief description and Adam went behind the bush with Eve.

Quite a few minutes later, Adam returned, smiling, and said, "'Lord, that was even better than the kiss."

And the Lord said, "'You've done well Adam. And now I want you to make love to Eve."

And Adam asked, "What is 'make love' Lord?"' So the Lord again gave Adam directions and Adam went again to Eve behind the bush, but this time he reappeared in two seconds.

And Adam said, "Lord, what is a 'headache'?"

July 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |