Overheard on CNN.com: 'Trying to explain what cricket is to my coworkers is fantastic'
The opening ceremony dazzled as the London 2012 Olympic Games kicked off Friday.
July 27th, 2012

And, the Olympics are off! Follow along on the live blog, read about the first day and check out some of the comments that caught our eyes.

London 2012: Live blog

As CNN producers update the live blog with photos and anecdotes, readers are joining right in to the conversation. Here are a couple we saw:

Harry: "Even if people keep saying it, never have I been prouder to call myself British, and a Londoner, even if I currently live in New York. NY has nothing on the Greatest City in the World!!!"

markl: "Proud to be British, even at the other side of the world. Trying to explain what cricket is to my co-workers is fantastic. 'You play for 5 days and it can still end in a tie' ... priceless."

Some of the readers asked about the meaning of things they were seeing from the opening ceremony.

Doubt: "What are the children leading each delegation carrying in their hands?"

Jonathan Stevenson (CNN): "Good question. The copper petals being carried by a child leading each delegation have that country's name inscribed and they will all have a role in the ceremony later. So now you really can't go anywhere, otherwise you'll never find out."

One of the most talked-about aspect of the Olympics on Friday was Mitt Romney’s tough reception in London.

Romney trip begins in shambles

NoTpUlLiNoUt: "I was actually glad to see the people of England hold Mr. Romney accountable for the comments he made, not like the media here in the States, scared to tell it like it is. Funniest headline I saw on one of the papers today in England 'Mitt the Twit' hahaahahahahaha!"

gregkells: "Yeah, because calling someone a name is certainly holding them accountable for making a statement that you disagree with (even though most of those same papers ran stories about how poorly planned the Olympics were just days before)."

The story of the blind archer really touched people. It also got them making a few jokes, but it was all mostly in fun. Some people were jealous.

Blind archer posts first world record of London Olympics

Some were in awe, and others had thoughts about the feat.

LiberalNewz2: "This has really made me open my eyes to what disabled people - whatever their supposed limitations are - can achieve."

USAlegend: "If you guys know even a little about archery, you should know that, while aiming at the target you should close one of your eyes to see better (because each eye looks at a different angle), and his right eye is blind by default. It didn't surprise me at all but still congratulations to him for breaking the previous record."

There were also some jokes, all in good fun.

evines: "A blind archer breaking records? I bet nobody saw that coming. ..."

hewhoseeks: "I certainly hope no employees of Target store are wearing their jackets near this guy."

One reader said he works with blind people and said he has noticed that legal blindness can make vision very difficult, despite the presence of some vision. He noted one simulation that he tried.

Daniel Dorfsman: "I did a simulation once where I wore a pair of glasses that were blacked out in one eye, and the other eye was extremely blurry. I would definitely refer to myself as blind in that moment. It was very hard to see but I could make out objects if I put them very close to my one good eye and I could identify people based on their body shape and hair color/length."

What's our take? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or share your views via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Olympics • Overheard on CNN.com • Sports • United Kingdom • World
  1. s kel

Beautiful opening Olympic Show so far! Im enjoying it!

July 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. drap™

My mom has one of those cricket cell phones for the elderly its got extra large keys... . She and her bingo club are always keeping tabs on curling... .

July 27, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

@ drap™, Lmao Ya know I can picture them cuties sippin on beer, huddled around her phone, giggljng...
    Good evening, and hope to see you around tomorrow.

July 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wombat

Meh, kind of boring Olympic opening. Bunch of UK music and chinese fireworks. I get it, Brits invented rock n roll Would have been cool to have John Clese as a Monty Python character light the caldron. Funny walk.

July 28, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • s kel

lol theres a lot of yuppies whooping it up at a fake english type pub in N E Wash. DC tonight, .....I really hate yuppies.

July 28, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

From the Ministry of Silly Walks?

July 28, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rascal Rabble

...the opening olympic ceremony was the most darkest and creepiest show i ever saw...it looked like a halloween, horror movie with a little dab of crazed psychidelic andy warhol thrown it...you call that a joyful celebration?!?!?

July 28, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

...somebody should have taken their antidepressant medication before they designed that show...

July 28, 2012 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rascal Rabble

huh? i went to bed too early...im up for the day...really little mister you should stop being cheap and hire landscapers...feels good to punch the pillows on saturdays...

July 28, 2012 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. s kel

lol, it was british humor!

July 28, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

I seem to recall boatloads of people who were once very fond of England. Then something happened that changed all of that.(head tax)
    A couple of hundered years later, something happened that changed all of THAT. (income tax)
    What next? Taxes on illegal drugs?

July 28, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. ronvan

Well, due to the weather, and my 2bit satellite company, I lost connection until it was over! But, so far, I found 1 video and I have to say that, while different, I think it was superb, especially the fireworks!

July 28, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

An Englishman, strolling through the Australian countryside on a hot afternoon, came upon a Sisters of Mercy Convent. He asked to come in and requested a cup of tea. The abbess gladly greeted and explained that the convent was famous for its special blend of tea, which it made by boiling the juice of the Koala bear.

The Englishman took on sip of the tea and spat it out, spluttering that the hair of the Koala bear was floating around on the surface of his drink. "Of course," explained the abbess, "The Koala tea of Mercy is not strained."

July 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Rawr:
      One for every occaison, eh?
      'The quality of Mercy is not strained'?
      Lol!!

July 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Thank you for catching that. I thought I would inject a little british humor. Since it is the topic. Well, in a round-a-bout way at least.

July 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

It's hilarious...and there's not much I miss, bciah...I love these types of joke.
      Well done, mate!

July 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Quasimodo wants to go on a little vacation, but before he can leave he needs to find a temporary replacement bell-ringer. He advertises, and one guy after another shows up and "auditions", but they just can't seem to produce the quality of tone Quasi is looking for. Eventually, one last guy shows up but he has no arms! Quasi asks "How to you intend to ring the bells?" The guy demonstrates by backing up and running head-first into a bell. The sound is great! Quasi is enthralled! The guy does it again and again. On his last try, he misjudges the swing of the huge bell and is knocked right out of the window, and he plumments to the ground and is instantly killed. Quasimodo hunches down the stairs to where a crowd has gathered around the body. He's asked, "Who is this man?" "I don't know his name, but his face rings a bell!"

July 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

That should rate at least two face-palms.

July 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Here's your 'badge':
      *Facepalm*™
      *Facepalm*™
      And, because I laughed out, loudly:
      *Facepalm*™

I have *never* heard a Quasimodo joke before...heh heh heh!

July 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy

Yeah things are alright. Just dealing with some up and down news. But this too shall pass.
    I've got to go for now. Talk to you later.

@ Rascal Rabble

You know how it is when the schitt hits the fan. lol

July 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Try not to let little Schitt get you down, Rawr.
    If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.

July 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Thank you banasy. I know I can count on you to always have my back, and that is 'greatly' appreciated.

July 28, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Always, dearheart.
      Always.

July 28, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Thank you banasy. I know I can count on you to always have my back, and that is 'greatly' appre ciated.

July 28, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gold Dragon©™

Had to deal with Some Schitt yesterday. As it happens my primary care provider no longer will accept my medicare insurance nor my medicare provider insurance. So I went to my insurance provider book and started phoning doctors that are listed as providers. I called six doctors that are listed and they informed me they do not take medicare nor my insurance. So I called my insurance carrier to get doctors from them that are in network. They gave me three doctors that are "in network". Two of them gave me the same "we no longer take your insurance nor medicare". I finally had luck with the last doctor! Unfortunately I have to wait a month to see him but hey its better that no doctor.

Some Schitt is related to Bull Schitt and a distant cousin to the Schitt-Happens family.

July 28, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Gold Dragon©™

I'm really sorry that you're having to go through so much Schitt. Medi-care is supposed to be there to take care of you. But thanks to all those yahoo schitts in the offices not having anything to do with the medical field, it's just a bunch of bull schitt that we have to contend with. But here's a pleasant thought. Sooner or later these schitts that are denying coverage will have to go through the same routine. And by that time, I'm sure the system will be even more screwed up.

July 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. little Schitt

little Schitt could copy/paste the jokes bobcat (iah) plans on posting tomorrow, and you would think they were funny at all. You would assume they were about you. Or you would twist the words to make a point. You certainly would tell a story to illustrate your point.
    There's a phrase for this sort of behavior.

July 28, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Chit

There's a phrase for little Schitt's behavior of saying the SSDD thing. OCD.

July 28, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |