Overheard on CNN.com: 'Trying to explain what cricket is to my coworkers is fantastic'
The opening ceremony dazzled as the London 2012 Olympic Games kicked off Friday.
July 27th, 2012

And, the Olympics are off! Follow along on the live blog, read about the first day and check out some of the comments that caught our eyes.

London 2012: Live blog

As CNN producers update the live blog with photos and anecdotes, readers are joining right in to the conversation. Here are a couple we saw:

Harry: "Even if people keep saying it, never have I been prouder to call myself British, and a Londoner, even if I currently live in New York. NY has nothing on the Greatest City in the World!!!"

markl: "Proud to be British, even at the other side of the world. Trying to explain what cricket is to my co-workers is fantastic. 'You play for 5 days and it can still end in a tie' ... priceless."

Some of the readers asked about the meaning of things they were seeing from the opening ceremony.

Doubt: "What are the children leading each delegation carrying in their hands?"

Jonathan Stevenson (CNN): "Good question. The copper petals being carried by a child leading each delegation have that country's name inscribed and they will all have a role in the ceremony later. So now you really can't go anywhere, otherwise you'll never find out."

One of the most talked-about aspect of the Olympics on Friday was Mitt Romney’s tough reception in London.

Romney trip begins in shambles

NoTpUlLiNoUt: "I was actually glad to see the people of England hold Mr. Romney accountable for the comments he made, not like the media here in the States, scared to tell it like it is. Funniest headline I saw on one of the papers today in England 'Mitt the Twit' hahaahahahahaha!"

gregkells: "Yeah, because calling someone a name is certainly holding them accountable for making a statement that you disagree with (even though most of those same papers ran stories about how poorly planned the Olympics were just days before)."

The story of the blind archer really touched people. It also got them making a few jokes, but it was all mostly in fun. Some people were jealous.

Blind archer posts first world record of London Olympics

Some were in awe, and others had thoughts about the feat.

LiberalNewz2: "This has really made me open my eyes to what disabled people - whatever their supposed limitations are - can achieve."

USAlegend: "If you guys know even a little about archery, you should know that, while aiming at the target you should close one of your eyes to see better (because each eye looks at a different angle), and his right eye is blind by default. It didn't surprise me at all but still congratulations to him for breaking the previous record."

There were also some jokes, all in good fun.

evines: "A blind archer breaking records? I bet nobody saw that coming. ..."

hewhoseeks: "I certainly hope no employees of Target store are wearing their jackets near this guy."

One reader said he works with blind people and said he has noticed that legal blindness can make vision very difficult, despite the presence of some vision. He noted one simulation that he tried.

Daniel Dorfsman: "I did a simulation once where I wore a pair of glasses that were blacked out in one eye, and the other eye was extremely blurry. I would definitely refer to myself as blind in that moment. It was very hard to see but I could make out objects if I put them very close to my one good eye and I could identify people based on their body shape and hair color/length."

What's our take? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or share your views via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Olympics • Overheard on CNN.com • Sports • United Kingdom • World
  1. little Schitt

Lmao. As if you have ever told a story to illustrate your point. How many jokes have you even told here? Just the same old laying around like an old dog waiting for something to happen, perking your ears, and howling at the moon. 🙂

July 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ little Schitt

What did I miss here. It sounds like someone has take umbrage with my jokes again. I wonder who that could be ?

July 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Beulah Lemia

My copay went up too. Now I have to sell some of my food stamps to makeup for the difference.

July 28, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Xanas, xanaxy

How ill I ever afford my xanax copay now? Poor me. Maybe if we all got on the same health plan I could beep my xannies.

July 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gold Dragon©™

My last commet is now "awaiting moderation". Go figure.

July 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |

Golden Dragon:
      Hi! I see you've been visiting us more.
      I hope that means you're feeling better; always lovely to see you!

July 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gold Dragon©™

"comment" my bad.

July 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Why anyone would take Umbrage© at a joke escapes me, but it take all kinds, I guess.

July 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Jokes are good; a sense of humor is absolutely essential.
      Having one does *not* mean that life is taken any less seriously when warranted.

Life is meant to be lived, not dreaded.

July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

Let's go in a new direction.

THE DIDJAKNOW CORNER

Didjaknow

Sometime called para nuts or cream nuts, Brazil nuts are grown in South American rainforsts. Their name might be Brazil, but most of the worlds supply comes from Bolivia.
    The nusts form inside a hard pod about the size of a coconut, which holds between 15-25 nuts.
    The tree that produces these nuts can grow up to 150 feet tall and 6 feet in diameter.
    Because the pods can fall from the tree without warning, harvesters wear wooden hats to protect their heads.
    Brazil nuts are high in fat, about 65 % in content, which causes them to spoil more readily than other nuts.

July 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |

Well done, Rawr.
      That information was....information.
      Lol...
      Good direction, darlin'; why not?

July 28, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gold Dragon©™

Actually it was my earlier that was removed that he commented on. Sheesh.

Having problems with doctors accepting my medicare and medicare supplemental insurance. So had to go through a bunch of crap to finally find a doctor who will take my insurance and medicare. So I made comments regarding SSDD and they took off my comment. Oh well.

July 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

They also removed my response to you. Probably because we using that S word and somebody got offended. Oh well.

July 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I have no idea why someone who does not even *know* you, or what you have been through, would even comment, Golden Dragon.
      You haven't been here in how long?
      Some people do not have any compassion.
      Fortunately, I have enough to cover for those who don't.

July 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I'll second that emotion.

July 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |

Rawr:
      Isn't that Smokey Robinson?

July 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

It is indeed. One of my all time favorites. Used to catch them at the Motown review at the Fox theater in downtown Detroit. You want to talk about a celebration. Everyon was there. Smokey, Temptaions, Supremes, 4 Tops. Little Stevie Wonder and on and on. Damn I miss those days. Good times.

July 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |

I love the Motown sound!
      GREAT music!!
      "Tracks Of My Tears" is another one of my favorites.
      Give me Temps and Four Tops anytime!
      Ah yes, those were the days, my friends...

July 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

We thought they'd never end.

Oh great. I had just got that song out of my head from the last time when you and Mama started it. Here we go again.

July 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |

Heh heh.
      We'd sing and dance, forever and a day.

July 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

sugar pie honey bunch!
      you kno' that I loooove yooou!
      i can't myself!
      i loooove yoooou and nobody else!

July 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I *love* "Can't Help Myself"...

July 30, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

DIDJAKNOW

Peanuts are really nuts. They are actually legumes which grow underground. Of all nuts snacked upon by americans, peanuts account for two thirds of the total, about 700 million pounds annually. One acre of plants will produce about 2860 pound of peanuts, enough to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.

July 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Excuse please. Should read Peanuts are 'not' really nuts. But I think I'm getting there.

July 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

No, you're not nuts, or even going nuts.

Fun fact: a chickpea is neither a chick nor a pea.

July 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Chickpea
      Let me think on that one for a bit before I respond.

July 28, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gold Dragon©™

Thanks banasy and bobcat.

I went to the Marquee blog and the comments in there are so nasty towards people. That blog should be monitered!

Oh well.

July 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That blog *is* a free for all; it makes this one look tame by comparison.
      I haven't looked at that blog for at least 18 months...the sheer nastiness of that one is appalling...

July 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

DIDJAKNOW

There are two varieties of nuts mentioned in the bible. Want me to wait for you to see which ones ? Nah, I'll just go ahead and tell you. They are the Almond and Pistachio. Actually the almond is not a true nut. It is a drupe, related to other stone fruits like the peach, cherry, plum and apricot. California is the top producer of almonds, though are also grown in Spain, Syria, Iran and Morocco. Almonds are an excellent source of protein, potassium, vitamin E and magnesium, and have been shown to help lower cholesterol.
    Pistachios as mentioned i Genesis 43:11, come from one of the oldest flowering nut trees, harvested for at least 9,000 years.
    It is a member of the cashew family and is one of the lowest calorie nuts. They are also a good source of antioxidants, scoring higher than a cuo of green tea.

July 28, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |

Ok, read it fastm

Kids with Methodist and Jewish paerents are called Moo shu.
      Kids with Jeweish and Catholic parents are Cashews.

Discuss.

July 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I've got to quit laughing before I can discuss this one. Dang that hit my funny bone hard.

July 28, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |

Good. You needed that.

July 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

Dang, now they're deleting my nut info posts. What's the matter with you people ? I talking about the kind of nuts you eat, Not cuckoos.

July 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |

Yep; the cuckoos remain.
      I don't get it.
      You would think they could separate the wheat from chaff; why is it chaff remains?

July 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

Its the @bobcat and @banasy show. Party on you guys. I left both of you a message on the Syria blog.

July 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I answered you, dazzle dearest.
      Since we seem to be the only two on, it's nice to have a chat about stuff we want to talk about...

July 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle ©

I wondered when you were going to show up. I had some pretty good jokes up here, but as usual, they're gone now. Are you enjoying your days off ? I also left a response to you at the Syria blog.

July 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ICU

Funny how they will take down harmless jokes but vicious posts directed at a woman who is battling cancer remains. I guess this lesion to the blogs is permissible.

July 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

It's amazing to me how they set their priorities here. They allow some of the most foul and evil comments to remain, and take the ones, even if they're on topic and delete them. Maybe one day the powers that be will take a better look and correct this oversight. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

July 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well it's time for me to head back to bobcatville. Good night all you good people. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Be on the lookout for something from me iin the AM. I have no idea what, but then I never know what I'm going to do until I do it.

July 28, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |