July 30th, 2012

Church refuses to marry black couple in Mississippi

Hurt. Devastated. Crushed.

Those are words an African-American couple used to describe how they felt when they were forced to change the venue of their wedding because of their race.

"Because of the fact that we were black, some of the members of the congregation had got upset and decided that no black couple would ever be married at that church," Charles Wilson told CNN on Sunday night.

"All we wanted to do in the eyes of God was to be man and wife in a church that we thought we felt loved. What was wrong with that?"

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson had planned to marry this month at the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs in Mississippi, but were asked at the last minute to move.

Their pastor, Stan Weatherford, made the request on behalf of some congregants who didn't want to see the couple married there, according to CNN affiliate WLBT. He performed the ceremony at a nearby church.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

That's the Dixieland that I was born in....
    God is Love.
    I live in New York now.

July 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, JIF!
      I do so wish that you would visit more often.
      I miss you terribly.

July 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@JIF, you have been missed. I'm headed to NY before the end of the year. My daughter is back home now and there were 5 bloggers she asked about within 30 minutes after arriving home. You made the top 5.

July 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

Omg! I was *just* thinking about you! hold on I have a question for ya

July 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Opps, that for Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™, hold on

July 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

Ok, George Orwell, seems to believe when writing, you should cut any unnecessary verbiage out... being concise in your sentences. How do you feel about that. Me? I feel you need *some* dressing on a sentence, yet, without going overboard.
    What do you Joey?

July 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

Oh!!!!!!!!!! Is that really you Joey? Please say it is? darn.... I was looking at your name and wanted to catch you before ya left, so I didn't bother reading what you wrote. Anyhow, hope it's Sir !

July 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

Fudge! Joey come back! Lol, Just thought of that song "Baby come back!"
    Ok, I had my moment...
    Later... Troll Joey

July 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

I hope my post to Hamsta posted.
    It's not on this page.

July 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dott

Could it be because they were divorced and that goes against the Church Rules? The Baptist Church does not believe in Divorce and our church would not marry me and my now husband because of their rules. No big deal for us even though we could scream discrimination we just had a ceremony in our home. No big deal. Of course we could whine the rest of our lives over something that is just that no big deal.

July 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |