August 1st, 2012

Wednesday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

9:00 am ET - GSA mismanagement hearing - Allegations of mismanagement and wasteful spending continue to fester within the General Services Administration, and a House committee will look into the claims this morning.

10:00 am ET - U.S. policy on Syria hearing - With the crisis in Syria continuing to grow, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee holds a hearing on what steps the United States could make when dealing with the strife-torn country.

11:40 am ET - Obama in Ohio - President Obama spends his day campaigning in the crucial battleground state of Ohio.  He'll address supporters in Mansfield, then head to Akron for a 4:00 pm ET speech.

1:15 pm ET - First lady in North Carolina - Michelle Obama is also on the campaign trail today.  She'll rally supporters in Greensboro, North Carolina.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. saywhat

Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on what US should do about Syria.Kinda innocent sounding eh?C'mon now as if we have been idly sitting on the side line.lol
    The debate should be about " shouldn't we take a pause and not do what we have been doing"? Takes figuring though.

August 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ saywhat

Hello to you my friend. The involvement that we do have in Syria is really as far as we should go. But I fear that the itchy trigger finger being shown by Israel could draw us in deeper. For what ever reason, it just seems they want to stir up more trouble. Me thinks it has a lot to do with their stand against Iran. IMO, They feel if they can get a personal involvement with Syria, that will incite a response from Iran, which in turn will open the door for their response to Iran. Again, that's just IMO.

August 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Now the comment I made due to the moderation is being moderated.

August 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) so good to see you AND your jokes on here. Things are good here. The central part of Arizona had some serious flash floods and the infamous haboobs. My home was fine except the pool got a serious overflow. Since I am in a the region of the foothills, we had a lot of water slide off of the mountains and into the arroyos which closed 2 major roadways down. What the heck happens to the mindset when you think you are getting a bargain when you pay $3.17 per gallon of gas?

August 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

Well I'm certainly glad to hear you are allright. I saw the videos of the haboob, and it just blows my mind to think of a cloud of dust like that.
      On the gas thing, I just don't know what it is. After paying 3.80 per gal. for that exteneded period time, the price dropped into the 3.50 range, and I was celebrating. When it dropped to 2.99 for that week and a half, I was ecstatic. Now it's sitting at 3.25, and the doldrums are beginning again. We humas are so easy to manipulate, aren't we ?

August 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

You said it@bobcat
    On this note , Israel really told our Mr.Panetta during his current visit where US can go for all they care.Netanyahu told Panetta " US cannot stop us from starting war with Iran".
    I would say let them have it with Iran on their own, we keep our hands off but I shiver at the consequences of that war and what that would mean for a world already reeling under unsustainable conditions.
    Why do our politicians and public officials go running to them to take a cue and their diktats is rather hard to comprehend for an ordinary American like me.America first is what we used to believe in.

August 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ saywhat

That's my biggest fear of that too. We have been on the thrshold WW3 for a number of years now. If Israel goes ahead with their planned attack, I feel that will be the tipping point, and we will be involved wether we want to or not.
    And as far as most of goverment officials jumping through their butts for Israel, it goes to that antiquated superst ition that if Israel falls , so will America. I still haven't figured out that belief.

August 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Iceax

Wonderfull day is it not lads ? Hope all is good at the summer games and we are doing well those who know me only need apply

August 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Iceax

We pay about 4.00 per gallon! And your prices are expensive ?

August 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

No kidding! 3.79 here today.

August 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |