August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. Peter

I suspect that if Starbucks had a "LGBT freedom/support day" they would set a record, too.

August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • appapo

Dare to call for it!

August 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mo

I support Cathy in his comment about what traditional marriage is and how marriage recognized before God is between a man and woman! I am not a big Chickfila eater but my relationship with Christ and my morals is not based on whether or not I supported the local Chickfila on yesterday.

August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. rom2894FL

Finally someone other than the fringes of US society gets a chance to be heard. I really don't care about this issue, but I love to see the majority of Americans to be heard occasionally.

August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Amen.

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Yowza

Majority being heard, Rom? The majority is always heard, because they are the majority. Why not try being just a tiny bit selfless and standing up for the little guy, the minority, the poor, the abused, the sick. I'll bet you'll feel a lot better if you do.

August 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. rationalist

Let us pray.
    Oh great rooster in the sky.Please save us chickens from becoming nuggets in tomorrows dinner.

August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • appapo

How respectful, aren't you?

August 2, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ruben

well don't eat there...no one asked you to

August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. i_know_everything

good to see some many Westboro church supporters out there, good for them

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. WhatTheFrack

Everyone please read the definitions below. The two don't go together, and the second is a more accurate description of you extreme right-wingers. Learn a language before you use it for your misguided hate.
    This post applies to a lot of the commenters on here.

Liberal: favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

Fascism: a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism, extreme right-wing views and often racism.

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • lolpeterubedumbbrah

Heres another definition. NAZI's = National SOCIALIST party.

August 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • appapo

I bet you consider yourself a liberal, don't you?

August 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. guy in Florida

I'm really not surprised at all about all the talk about Hate-It is just a tactic of the Gay community. I dare one person –gay or straight to prove that any CFA has ever been rude or denied service due to orientation. I have visited many CFAs and they are always pleasant, helpful and provide a great meal---I don’t ever remember any of the employees asking me if I was gay before they served me--I guess the Gay Community really doesn’t know what discrimination really is.

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • appapo

Gay Community do know what discrimination is; they practice it every single day.

August 2, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peter

Where do you want gay people to go?

In the shadows like criminals?

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Honest Truth

No, that would be intolerance and persecution, very different than believing that marriage is only between a man and woman.

August 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

No, just stop forcing your ways on anyone else. No one has to like what you do and you dont have to like how they feel about it but your never going to make anyone accept it that doesnt want to. Stop demanding extra respect and take the same amount as everyone else gets for earning it. Worry about you and yours and leave me and mine alone! I dont support gay rights, so that means what ? Not a thing. Its my opinion and belief, yours may be different. Stay away from me and all will be fine..... its that simple to get along. Atempting to make everyone accept you is just as bad as someone bashing you. Get over yourself.

August 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Well said Rick. I agree completely !!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

back in the closet works.

August 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

Si!

August 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

August 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • appapo

And where do the LGBT people want Christians to go, to the Catacombs?

August 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Isn't that where they belong? God clearly does not approve of the gay lifestyle.

August 2, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

Bigots because they believe in traditional family values? I think not. If more people held these beliefs, this country would be in a better position than we are now. Since all this degradation of values, look at our society now as opposed to 50, 60, 70 years ago. Society is going to heII. We need to get back to what we were, and stop trying to break it down.

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. wcb2009

I completely support Gay and Lesbian rights but I find this attack on Chick-fil-a to be detracting from the cause and rooted in resentment. Unless someone can prove that they refused to serve or employ a person becuase they were gay, they really need to take their own advice and tolerate the ignorance. I dont eat there cause I hate the food.

August 2, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Andy

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. – Oscar Wilde

Shrewd Cathy. Shrewd

August 2, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chick Fil A employee

I work there. I'm gay. I spit in about 700 orders yesterday. Eat more chikin!

August 2, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • katnappn

To: Chick Fil A employee
      I love you!

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kevin

Hypocrites. The Bible teaches us our body is a temple and God's seeds are our only food. If these "Christians" knew that and realized what chemicals went into their sandwiches they would know they are committing a great sin by eating there.

August 2, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • appapo

Of course, your comment has nothing to do with the fact you're a gay agenda supporter, does it?

August 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TonyInNYC

Yeah, but can they do it two days in a row? Now that would be a record.

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |