August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. ruben

Chick-fil-A is a private company who can donate to whomever they want. I don't necessarily agree with who he is donating to but it is his right to do whatever he wants. I support his freedom of speech and I believe that he can do whatever he wants with his profits

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. chunk a chunk

Not only did almost all americans not go to this store, all the politiians knew better than being associated with this hate thing

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Dick sicario

Chunk you really need to get some help.

August 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John

I can't believe that people still believe in a white bearded wizard who lives in the clouds and knows all. Histerical!

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Hank

I can't believe two men think they can procreate

August 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • NavyAirVet

You know that John is a Christian name that your parents gave you.

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan

Why do liberal hate Christians so much but seem to think Muslim Extremeist are the greatest thing since sliced bread?

August 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • mjbrin

before you judge the "liberals" or get the plank out of your eye and judge our fellow "christians"

August 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hilda

I believe in freedom of speech. I don't necessary have to agree with everyone's family views, but that is not my problem. I believe people can say whatever they want. I am certain that if I express my feeling at their restaurants, I won't be turned away for business.

August 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Anne

Hey people this was not about whether or not he supports gay marriage or not. It's about his first amendment rights and his ability to exercise them. You exercise your very own right to free speech on this post. Allow him the right to his, do your research before talking out your butt. He does not prevent gays from being in his restaurant, he just doesn't support gay marriage. Call the wahmbulance and get over yourselves....k?

August 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kay

Didn't jesus say to was easier for a camel to go through an eye of a needele than a rich man to get into heaven quote unquote? So is the founder a chic a fil going to prove he is a true christian and give away his riches on earth so he can recieve his reward when he dies?

August 2, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. ruben

and another thing, all this gay bashing and calling each other conservative bigots needs to stop. When you use words of hatred towards other people's beliefs you just show yourself as knuckle dragging trailer trash

August 2, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Hugh Jass

Not helping there, chum. And it's "busi-ness."

August 2, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. AT

Wow! I though we were one country. Shame that people can't love people. Does the good book indicates love they neighbor? Don't have a gay couple live in your neighborhood!

August 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gail

I went yesterday because I support Free Speech. I had salad and iced tea. I'm agnostic and vegetarian. I support Civil Unions because I don't believe in changing the definition of a word by legal means and pretending to future generations that's what it always meant. I do think gays should have the same legal rights in their civil unions and should work on that. But I support freedom of religion and freedom of speech. from all sides whether I agree or not. I see most of the hatred coming from the Gay movement except for a few outspoken radical christians that the media loves to focus on and portray as the rest of us who just want to live in peace and not have an agenda crammed down our throats. People have the right to frown on someone else's lifestyle whether you like it or not. It's supposed to be a free country yet people think it's illegal if someone isn't "nice" to them.

August 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • swohio

Spoken with a true voice of reason, Gail. Thank you for posting that.

August 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • HelloNurse

Amen, Gail.

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie C

Agreed! I find it ironic that gays and those for gay marriage spill vitriol at those who are not.. in effect becoming the very thing they are fighting. They can fight for their rights.. but don't do it by demonizing those who don't agree.

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott Wesley

Well spoken via your FREEDOM OF SPEECH Gail. I'm impressed with your integrity.

August 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vince

That's an interesting take. Did you know that before the Civil War, a black person was defined as not being wholly 100% a human man? That was the definition of a black person. Would you support changing that definition Gail? The only thing I learned from this Chick-fil-A thing is that southerners like fatty foods. But, that was already obvious to anyone who has visited the south.

August 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

I support the right of Chick Fil A to hold any religious position they wish. I also support the right of the Henson / Muppet enterprise to take any position they wish. I support the right of potential customers to take any position they wish.

That is freedom of expression as long as it remains peaceful and respectful of the rights of others.

August 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • tkogrady

Perhaps you can't appreciate what it feels like to be the target of bigotry. While you appear to be open to the equal rights for gays and lesbians to establish the equivilent rights of marriage, keeping separate is no better than what we had in the South under the Jim Crow laws. Blacks technically had the same rights, but in reality they had to use separate facilities. That didn't seem to to work too well then, and it doesn't feel very good now. I'm gay and was going through cancer treatement, the hospital could have prevented my partner from visiting me and that would have been legally acceptable. So to all the good Christians out there, remember Jesus's rule, to love your neighbor as yourself.

August 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • LdyDarkHorse

Well Said!!! I too believe in the freedom of speech.. and the right to have your own opinion on things. (As a side note.. I also have several gay friends... And yes they know how I feel about this Chick-Fil-A thing.. and are cool with it..).

August 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatahit

Thank you Gail! You hit the nail on the head. My husband and I are traditionalists and Christians but that is how we perceive the family unit. If someone else believes the unit to be different, then I think that's great. I won't judge you and I would appreciate your not judging me. Why can't we all just live together and apprecreciate each other's differences. If for some reason you don't like what a business does, then don't go there. Frankly, as long as a business is ethical, legal, provides good customer service and a quality product, I will be their customer. I don't care what the company president believes in. I am very proud of Mr. Cathy and the Chick-fil-A organization for standing for what they believe in, especially in this world of political correctness. Personally, I believe the customer service is beyond reproach and the food is excellent!. If I could only say that about the financial sector!

August 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Doc Knowitall

Really bitter too !
    Needs lots of ketcup to get that down.

August 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ted

what is it your saying?

August 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DanW

So people were eating at chick-fil-a because it represents some type of christianity, not because they like the food? Why not every business put out a symbol that says what religion the owner espouses – cross, star of david, whatever muslims use. How about other symbols too – elephants and donkeys, rainbows, kiwanis and rotary, whatever. Then the intolerant can avoid the places that they don't want to associate with, and people can avoid places where they know they aren't welcome.

August 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HatersGonnaHate

It's funny how the CEO makes a comment about Marriage, he hires gays, he serves gays, but NOT once did he say he wished death on Gays. Look at this board. There are so many so disagree with him that are calling for the death or pain of those who agree. Stay classy haters. Wishing death on people actually makes you worse Chick-Fil-A. Congrats.

August 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"It's funny how the CEO makes a comment about Marriage, he hires gays" Find me one gay person who works there. They only hire Protestant evangelistics, and most of them are white.

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |