August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. Brad

Interesting......hardly a peep out of those who wanted to take Dan Cathy and his restaurant chain down just 2 days ago.......time to move on from this absurdity. I wonder how the sales of Muppet products are going?

August 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. asdf

Apparently the religious right believes that boycotts only last one day. Must be the poor education systems in their states.

August 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • charlie

Can you really be that dumb. Yesterday was to let you people know that we don't agree with your bully tactics. Please call Obama and tell him this one has faioled just like all of his other ones. Lefties are out of gas. 15 Trillion mistakes and still trying.

August 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Get a job Hippies

ha ha ha to the liberal elites on this one. you far lefties have a huge mouth, but few followers. good for Chick-Fil-A

August 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Paul

I'm gay, I'm Christian, and had my Chick-fil-A yesterday, and plan to eat a grilled chicken there more often. Freedom of expression is far more important than whether i can 'marry.'

August 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • ArthurP

It starts by restricting your right to marry, and expression of love, and eventually they will restrict what you can say or rather express in public.

August 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • charlie

It is not about restricting anyones right to marry it is about freedom of speak just as Paul said. The owner of this great company which employs a large amount of Americans of all persuasions doesn't have any control over Marriage. AurtherP you should speak to your messiah OBAMA about it, he is very good at controling rights.

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jesus Christ

And Christians wonder why people are leaving their churches in droves. Anybody that can think, wants to be away from hate-mongers. Lucifer will see you chick-fil-aer's very soon! LOL!

August 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • money

You are not real

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • spdrcrgol

Please tell me how supporting FREE SPEECH is hate mongering? Its ok to be gay and I support your freedom to be gay. If it wasnt for free speech your comments would all be censored out. I ate there yesterday and everybody I spoke with said it was all about free speech. Thanks to the gay community for trying to infringe on someones freedom of speech, you all gave the company its biggest single day sales in its history!!

August 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jesus Christ

oldman100, stop calling yourself names!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John

God is hiding inside a dead chicken that is being served to Billy Graham at this very moment!!!

August 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Larry L

@Glenn

Thank God and the Fathers, Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, Sons and Daughters who have died to protect this freedom. REMEMBER: IT WAS ADAM AND EVE, NOT ADAM AND STEVE!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Many gay people have died defending the country that allows people like you to discriminate against them. If you actually believe the Adam & Eve myth you have rejected the entire body of knowledge and become just another cult member. The Evangelical Cult depends on those who choose to remain ignorant and bigoted.

August 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Equality

These are the same people who against emancipation and slavery 200 yrs ago.....I guess stupidity and ignorance will always prevail in some people, no matter what century

August 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • money

Way to compare gays to slaves. Tool.

August 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • TonyMontana1

That tasty sandwich makes up for it.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • geckopelli

Because they don't agree with you?

"equality" and "superiority" have two separate meanings.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • claybigsby

"Way to compare gays to slaves. Tool."

these are all civil rights issues money....would you rather the comparison be with the womens voting rights movement instead?

August 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. isadore

I wish people cared half as much for the homeless, hungry, and abused as they do about what a CEO of a chicken establishment thinks is ok to go on in the bedroom.

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • geckopelli

You missed the point entirely.

Only gays cared about this guy's opinion.
      Regular people resent the bigoted haters of the LGBT telling us how we'd better think and what we're allowed to do.

It's that simple.

August 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deven

Its funny how people mistreat humans that they can actually see, and touch, over a god that they can't...

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • geckopelli

is the "mistreatment" to which you refer the refusal to think as the LGBT tells them to think? Or was it when the LGBT tried to take away a man's right to run his business?

CLUE: You can't cry victim and they go around trying to bully others. It's hypocritical.

August 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave H

Wow! Have you ever seen so many Fannypacks and flipflops? What a shock that a bunch of white trash from the south would wait in line for a greasy fast food meal all in the name of a myth. America is such a stupid sad country. Remember this all started because of the far right trying to shove 2,000 year old garbage down everyone's throat. The left is not the problem. The right needs to be shut down!!!!!!!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Wow, you lefties are so smart. Open your eyes moron, before you know it your government will own you...oh wait, they already do. Liberals can't think for themselves they need someone to tell them what is popular to think.

August 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • goodlerd

seriously, just because some of this country doesn't like gay marriage doesn't make this a sad, horrible country. sad, and horrible is two people getting stoned to death for adultery, this is a great country!!! be proud of it, not saying be proud of people who go against gay rights (i'm personally for them) but if you don't like it, stop complaining and move away. people die for this country and saying stuff like that makes it all in vain.

August 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • geckopelli

Yeah.. and everybody needs to be gay.

We know what you're all about, heterophobe.

August 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Now that's a solution!! Eliminate everyone who disagress with the left. How hypocritical!!! By the way, I live in an affluent town in Maryland, and the Chick-fil-A was wildly busy yesterday. The drive thru was lined up with high end cars. The support of Chick-fil-A yesterday was clearly about freedom of one's beliefs.

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BRod

Bunch of rubes! Cathy's statement was a clever marketing tactic. This was about GREED – not Biblical principles or anything else. Read the Gospels if you want to see how Jesus felt about wealth and judging other people.

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • claybigsby

"Read the Gospels if you want to see how Jesus felt about wealth and judging other people."

No read the gospels if you want to see how the authors who wrote about jesus felt about wealth and judging others.

August 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brad

Let's not forget that Obama was not supportive of gay marriage until earlier this year when the polls dictated that he go pandering for votes..............

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • dude

yeah, but he didn't hide behind the bible. Which actually makes no reference to Gay marriage.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Diane

Wonderful support for a biblical belief of those that truly love their Lord.
    God does have people that read His word and are not ashamed to show it.
    Well said Americans

August 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRod

I know gay people who truly love the Lord.

August 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

I know my god loves me no matter who I LOVE. I know that you would never know that I am a lesbian if I was standing next to you. You don't know me but I am proud of who I am... I am just living MY life! I have been with my partner for 14 years. We have twins that are the happiest and healthiest kids you could possibly meet. We go to church and love OUR god. I have seen the hate that comes from good Christian hypocrites. I once had a this "man" that was attracted to me, he talked to one of our friends and found out I was gay. This man asked me if this was true and I said yes. I have nothing to hide because this is MY life. I asked him why he was so opposed to my alternative lifestyle and he said it was wrong because of the bible. He said "all you need is some good deep d**king" while grabbing my chest and pushing me up against a wall. He was telling me that my LOVE was wrong and he could fix me. Really??? MY god would never approve of this assault. I've been spit at just trying to go to watch Ellen when she was touring. I am not one for PDA and I look like everyone else. I just want to have MY Equal rights!

August 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |