August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. phil

I saw on the news that the Pastors from the Afro-American community are chastising the President for his evolved views of Gay Marriage. Saying that he changed his views just to gain fund raising dollars from the Gay community.

Hmmm, I wonder if the liberal left will exercise their voices against these Black Pastors...Probably not, but if they do I'm ready to play my race card and call them racist. How does it feel ?

August 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mason

now are they all repubs, or are they just lookin for a lil piece a chicken?

August 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. iTexan

I guess we'll see how this turns out. People who support a cause generally only turn out once or twice. People who oppose a cause boycott continuously. Really, though, even if I think the owners are outdated hypocrites, do we really need to be doing stuff like this during a recession? The family that owns this chain already has money and will be okay. But the people who work there will be in trouble if the chain goes under. Either way, innocent people get hurt. We should remember that. Sometimes there are more than two clear-cut sides to an issue.

August 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Aaron

Yes, this might have brought out all the gay haters but will it last. It's also caused a lot of people who previously ate at Chick Fila to no longer support the chain. Only time will tell.

August 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. wmpaulrobbins

Disrespectful and not an example for humanity...shame on you.

August 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

Gays, Liberals and atheists, just go find your own restaurant. You want to condemn a man for having an opinion. I thought you guys were all about free speech?

August 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • GAW

Go back to your beer Jim.

August 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • claybigsby

learn the definition of free speech. It has nothing to do with protection from the public and everything to do with protection from the government. He can have any beliefs he wants, but he is not immune from the backlash he has received.

August 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tonita

Exactly, Jim

August 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Film Professor

Cows say" "Wheee R Bee-guh-tid"

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Zach

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller – German pastor 1946

If you don't stand up for everyone's freedom, even if it doesn't matter to you at all, they might not be there to stand up for yours when you need them.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • max3333444555

so that just makes me ask, which side of the issue are you refering to? the company being persecuted because they did something distasteful and nobody telling elected officials that its not their job to inflict their concepts on that company or the company giving money to potential hate groups?

my opinion is that the elected officials ARE breaking the law while the company is not. i may disagree with them (I do) but we dont elect people to make up things that are extra-legal based on opinion

August 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheng508

how true this is!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Well said Zach!

August 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • claybigsby

"my opinion is that the elected officials ARE breaking the law while the company is not"

how? no one has stopped them from building restaurants. Those officials expressed their opinions. until they actually keep the business from opening, there is no law being broken.

August 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. max3333444555

T in NH,

The supreme court says they can donate to whatever groups they want (unless banned as a terrorist group). Your perception or my perception doesnt really matter. Elected officials shouldnt be punishing them based on doing something within the bounds of our laws.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jeff, chicago

I went yesterday and am very proud to support their company. I don't think people should give into the bigots and hate-mongers on the left.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheng508

why always the left? what a one track mind.

August 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John316

This is not about Freedom of Speech or Religious Freedom....the Cathy family has the right to say whatever they want....just like the KKK has a right to say what it wants to.....It's about funding hate groups like Focus on the Family. I really wonder if the Cathy family was funding or supporting the KKK if there would be any outcry....or would it just be a freedom of speech issue..........why doesn't someone ask ? I would love to hear the answer from the "Hucksters" ..I mean the supporters of Mike Huckabee and the Cathys...... let's ask them......

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gavin Ford

Record day for fairy-tale based bigotry.

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bobsucks

Oh yeah, like it's hard to find a bunch of haters in this country to support a pathetic food chain. You people think it's cool that a bunch of fat, hateful so-called christians went and ate a bunch of deep fried chicken to support christianity? PATHETIC AND HILARIOUS!

August 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

Let me guess...your name is Bob and you Suck!!

August 2, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GRIMACE

People are furious because of this.LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....you mad bro ??

August 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. GRIMACE

Whaaaaaaa, I'm butthurt because people showed support.Now I'm gonna bash christians.Whaaaaaaaaaaa I'm so sad.

August 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |