August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. Al

Next he should say that, while fine with feeding Mexicans and treating them with dignity when they ate at his restaurant, he finds them to be inferior. I'll bet the same people that were there yesterday will flood his stores again. I think he's found a new key to sales success... pander to the ignorant factions of society.

August 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rudy

Well, at least these conservatives won't have as much money to send to Zimmerman's defense fund...I love how they rally for such noble causes and then shout "let 'em die" when talking about important issues like health care. It would be funny, if it were not so pathetic.

August 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

As a conservative, I believe it is my responsibility to care for my own family and provide (pay for) my own Health Care. It's the liberals who have their hands out and want everything for nothing. It's time Americans start working and providing for themselves.

August 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. geratt

lots of hate filled sandwiches sold... good to know christianity promotes tolerance (as long as your views are the same as theirs).

August 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Good to know liberalism is equally as tolerant

August 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

Amazing how the Southern Baptists and ultra religious people flocked to CFA to demonstrate their support for a Southern Baptist CEO, who displayed his interpretation of the BIble.

Intolerance is learned from the people you keep company with. I think most moderates will not support CFA
    ever again. Those moderates – straight and family! You can build a business up over 20 years and it can
    fall to pieces in less than a year.

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Merv

Please feel free to go somewhere else.

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DG

Troll. You're also Dave W and PSU Alumni. Be quiet already!

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. charlie

I meant Speech.

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mikebo

I could care less one way or another.The man has a right to speak his mind.How many fast food places close on sunday's?I'm not a church member and i don't go to church.So if you have a problem with Chick-fil-A go to another chicken place.

August 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mark johnson

I sent President Obama my chick fil a money!

August 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOB

Thank God most Americans believe in free speech and aren't held back by the liberal nazis trying to run america.

August 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Keith

Maybe it's just me but I could care less what people do in their bedrooms or where they go to have a chicken sandwich.
    What is with all the anger. Tolerance isn't such a bad thing.

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Who was angry?

August 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kate Parker

Mr. Cathy has as much right to oppose gay marriage as you have opposing his right to his opinion. And that is just what it boils down to–it is his opinion. And considering they had such a huge support & tremondous sells, apparently he is not the only one who has this opinion. I have that opinion, too. I am against gay marriage. BUT, I am not against gays, nor am I a hater. I have several gay friends, as well as family members who are gay. I don't hate them. I love them. BUT I do believe, as a Christian, that gay marriage is not ordained of God. It is right in the Bible that marriage is between a man & a woman. So, when someone can prove to me that the Bible does not state that, then I might change my OPINION. This entire thing is about Freedom of Speech and we all have that freedom to voice our opinions on any number of topics. Just as much as your voice your opinion in support of gay marriage, I, too, along with millions others, will voice my opinion in opposition of gay marriage. Thank you!!

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rbnlegnd

If the definition of marriage defines legal rights and responsibilities, then the bible is not relevant to the discussion. The bible should tell your minister how to conduct those weddings he conducts, but the state is the state, not the church.

August 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boytjie

It is right in the Bible that marriage is between a man & a woman.
      ==============================================================
      And another woman and another woman and another woman...

August 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Angie

Just a comment about the news video.....It's not just awesomw support from the South. I live in Northern California and our Chick-fil-A had to close early because they ran out of food! How's that for support!!!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Brown

So there were apparently a lot of bigots spending money then eh? Doesn't mean they are right. It just means people are stupid out there.

August 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Independent Film Producer

The closest Chick-fil-a here in Burbank, Los Angeles was the Hollywood location. It was packed. There were about 12 protesters, but there were hundreds of customers. They had to call the cops to help the traffic flow.

August 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Morrison Braddock

Americans come out in droves to show their support for inequality and bigotry. Wow. What a great day in the land of the free.

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

It was a great day. Its about free speech and the right to believe. It was not about bigots, stiffled speech or name calling.

August 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Emmett

I'm christian, but you didn't see me anywhere near CFA yesterday, because when I read the bible it says Jesus loved everyone, regardless of their sins, and He spent his time with the least of these. I'm deeply ashamed of anyone who considers themselves a christian and participated in putting more money into the pockets of people who have more than enough to support hatred, judgement, and discrimination against a group of His brothers and sisters. As christians we should be reaching out to these people in love, not spreading hate and fear. This report makes me so sick. Anyone who truly follows Jesus and lives what He taught was not at a CFA yesterday. I guess USA isn't as christian a nation as they think.. ?

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rbnlegnd

Ghandi had a nice saying about how Christ was ok, but his followers are a problem, it's too bad they can't be more like him.

August 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Emmett, Jesus spent time with sinners for the purpose of their redemption and turning them from their sins. He didn't encourage them to plunge head-first into a lifestyle that is deeper in sin . If they are our brothers and sisters, we should be even more dilligent to bring them out.

August 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. joe

It's nice to have a company stand by its values. If I had to boycott every restaurant that was Godless and over the top liberal, I'd probably have to grow my own food. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if the mayors didn't ban a business based on the CEO's personal beliefs. Glad conservative leadership isn't this ignorant or there would be no Ben and Jerry's.
    What's worse is all of you on here trying to find hypocrisy in some Christian people with certain Bible verses that have nothing to do with others. Have any of you ever been in church?? Your ignorance of the Bible shows with every comment you make.

August 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |