August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. EF

I ate there yesterday and it was great. I went there after work and decided to go later because it was jammed full of people, then went at 8 pm and it was still jammed with people with having to park the car in lots by the other shopping center. The manager said it was jammed all day for 12 hours. Thank you CFA. The service was great and being with fellow christians was great too. And as usual the food was great despite having to wait a little bit longer.

As far as I am concerned the Left wing can take their agenda and shove it. I trust the polls will be like this against Obama and his minions this election.

August 2, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • kd2010

Finally the silent majority came out. If we dont fight back with such solidarity with CFA, the next thing will be prosecution of the Church and all Christians. If anyone thinks it is about CFA think again. All we are saying dont play with our religious liberties else we will turn against you politically.

August 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. whatev'r

relax...go and try some of the sandwich you will be fine after that

August 2, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. Robert

Can't wait for all these bigots to explain to their kids about the time they showed up to support something that was eventually legal inn the US and supported by the majority. I'm sure those who protested against de-segregation are bragging about it today too.

August 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Doncville

Its not the same you idiot. Had this been a Conservative Mayor making comments like Chi-towns or Boston's against gay business owners...I can assure you, it would come close to riots in the street.
      Its just a law, get the f over it.

August 2, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. cubbies1967

Reading these posts is awesome fun! Grant, JDinHouston, some guy in New Hampshire, Veggie know millions of Americans gave you all a huge middle finger and your whiny posts prove it really got to you. It's like an itch you can't quite scratch, right? 🙂

August 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Doncville

I support gay marriage. I'm conservative. It's just a law. In the end, people will do what they want to do....America stands up for this freedom. That includes freedom of speech. It takes a long time to unpend age old laws on our books....but they eventually get changed. What we don't need to do is infrenge on freedom of speech and freedom to do business as you please...(witin the law).
    When politicians level threats against business be they gay or straight owned, then we have a much bigger problem on our hands. Blacks in the 60's who marched know all too well what it means to have government oppose them and not honor their human rights.
    This should be a nil issue. This is more about the attack on religion.
    All people should be left to thier own views and should show respect to one another....its the only way to truely understand both sides of the issue.
    A real christian will pray about it all and let God sort it out while he continues to love his gay neighbor.
    Wonder what Gay Christians think?....are they all alone in this world?

August 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • ironfray

Well said Doncville.

August 2, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Xena

Doncville – thank you – you made a very good point.

I do not support Gay marriage – but God wants me to love and treat EVERYONE as my brother and sister in this world. What one does in their life time is between them and God – I have nothing to do with that – as I have my own sins to deal with in meeting my Father one day.

I do not think Cathy is a biggot for expressing he does not support Gay Marriage.

The whole situation is just out of control and wrong. No one is winning in all of this just fanning the fires of hatred. There is so much of that today, so we really need to add to it?

Have a great day.

August 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robin

They were NOT fans, they were intolerant bigots. And anyone who tells you that this is about free speech is LYING. It's about using customers' money to finance anti-human rights legislation here and abroad. Don't any of you Christians THINK anymore? Or is that now against your "religion"?
    Blindly following ANYTHING is how you end up with the Holocaust.

August 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • mhbrig

I ate chick fil a yesterday, because the food is great. So is Friday, when lgbt call for their version of protest, are you going to consider that hate as well? I support gay marriage, and I support good businesses. In the meantime, you probably should stop driving,riding, or anything thay involves using gas because OPEC gives money to KILL gay people.

August 2, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • EF

Its obvious the left wing fascists are the real intolerant people or animals. The left remind me of Hitler's Nazi's.

August 2, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • MagicPanties

if christians would THINK, they would not be christians; they would be at least agnostic.

August 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Magic Jew

//No, people are being manipulated into violating their own religious beliefs//

Bahahahahaha.... religious beliefs. My god says you can't get married. It's a violation of my rights if you do!

August 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rick

Great News !! How's that GLAAD working out for you protestor losers? Ha!

August 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • ironfray

Actually I think the plan is working out quit well. All these haters will eat themselves into the grave.

August 2, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. bobby frank

This is a staged fake demonstration to get the evangelicals all worked up into talking in tongues heading into a toss up election. People have known for years that this company discriminates against Americans. Our whole family has stayed away from buying anything at this fast food joint for over two years now. The food is very unhealthy anyway so I think we win out pretty much!

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jack 1

the people have spoken. No to gay rights other than the rights we all have

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kevin

Thinly-veiled anti-gay protest.

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Macaroni

I think you forget that Conservatives that may not have eaten there in the past may start eating there THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. The hit on chic fil e will be marginal. So good try.

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Myk

Normally you would have to go to a KKK rally to see so many bigots in one place.

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiny Offender

Myk, I've seen more bigots on TV at a 'gay' rally than at a KKK rally. Gays are the most bigotted group on earth.

August 2, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

..........or just look in the mirror.

August 2, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • William Sherpa

What say, let's lighten up? You go find yourself a hairy-legged, smelly, HIV-infected "partner" and be content that you populate that segment of God's creation referenced in The Word as the living dead--

August 2, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Miss Trixie

The store in my city was a madhouse. Everyone was patient and friendly. Nice to see so many people rallying for free speech. Looks like the "backlash" was against the bigots against diversity of opinion.

August 2, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gerry Daley

I'm sure Jesus is just thrilled that the bigots ate a piece of crappy chicken. I live in North Carolina and I wouldn't go near a Chick-fil-A if you paid me. These are more or less the same people who 30 years ago would have been protesting school intergration...just so you know.

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • marabou22

Thank god you said that Gerry. I'm unclear as to why gay rights aren't taken as seriously as the civil rights movement. People are still convinced people choose to be gay. I sure as hell didn't I didn't even know any gay people. unless the entire gay population is lying, its not a choice.

August 2, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • GMan

always an excuse to fess up to responsibility of ones own actions. It definately is a sign of the times we live in. It is a choice. No if, ands, or buts about it. Just like smoking is a choice, drug use is a choice, being gay or a lesbian is a choice, drinking is a choice, stealing is a choice, murder is a choice, being a lier is a choice... Everything we do in our lives is a choice we make. The reason for your choice can be a wide variety of reasons. So man up. accept responsiblities for your actions and stop blaming it on your genes...

August 2, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Miss Trixie

@Gerry Daley–wrong, wrong, wrong. This is a free speech issue. Your whining only resulted in record sales and profit for Chick Fil-a so cluck off.

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • JackFlack

What kind of empty moronic comment is that?

August 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Truly

"So Conservatives all flocked there on ONE DAY. That wont erase the future losses incurred when Liberals dont eat there for THE REST OF THEIR LIVES See the difference?."

Faulty logic. I had NEVER eaten there before yesterday. It was really delicious and they now have a new regular customer in me, and undoubtedly many other first-timers from yesterday who discovered something new.

BTW, I'm neutral on gay marriage but do not like seeing anyone, even corporate executives, being bullied for their opinions. More power to him for having the guts to speak his mind.

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |