August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. Beauvice

everybody knows gay people don't eat fast food, those are empty calories.

August 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fran

Totally agree. Chick-fila never saw any of there money anyway so I'm sure they're not sweating over them coming there to eat.

August 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mecatfish

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone....period.
    You can not force your way into my store.
    The law is on my side.
    You cant change that...sorry.
    Gay shop owners, Would you throw me out of your store if i came in spouting bible verses?

You betcha you would.

August 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard

The CEO never directly attacked gay marriage all he said was that he was for traditional marriage. Even if he said the gay marriage was wrong it is his opinion and right to say so and your right to agree or disagree. We live in a world where America has a 50% plus divorce rate and where staying married to the first spouse is quickly becoming the minority. They should b applaueded for "going the distance" so far. I know the media and Hollywood likes to demonize Christianity and its teachings but you will face judgement in the end...I promise you.

August 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. newnews

I would show up because they gave $5 gift ccertificates away...pretty sure most that showed up for that reason. Incentives will draw. Now if they were giving out cholesteral tests that would probably deter a few. The owner can say anything he wants it's his belief. They don't print it on their boxes, bags or put it on their logo and I would say some of the people that work there don't agree but keep silent to keep their jobs.People will continue to kill themselves with crappy food no matter what you say. If this guy really cared about values how about coming up with a better choice than fried everything. He's killing them softly and getting rich doing it.

August 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • J2

The one I visited DID NOTgive a gift certificate. And I went anyway. Alwas looking for an excuse to down somebody else's beliefs.

August 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wade

Wait, there were $5 gift certificates?
      I missed it!

August 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rose james

GOD says a marriage is between a man and woman, if you don't like it, that's your right. But as for me and my house we will serve the ALMIGHTY GOD and what GOD WORD says about all things.

August 2, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texas Conservative

typical.

August 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

to Rose James, I would just like to remind you of an important teaching within Scripture. I'm sure you know this, but your participation in this discussion implies that you may have forgotten...

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.....Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

This is a reminder to act and speak out of love and compassion. Help build others up, not hold others back. Help spread the Gospel, which means GOOD NEWS, about Christ, not messages of intolerance. Show LOVE....anything else reduces you in the eyes of Christ. I'll pray for you.

August 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me-me

All the Chick-Fil-A CEO did was to state his beliefs. I don't believe in smoking but I have friends and family members who do. Does that mean I hate them? NO! It means that I would not support their habit although I still love them to death! All the protesting in the world is not going to make anyone agree with something they just do not believe in.

August 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. What a waste

Sorry but this whole back and forth is as thick as a brick. I haven't eaten chicken (meat at all) in 25 years and I am not in a hissy out there because their president believes chicken is good.

August 2, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wade

Jkhur, Your State and Federal governments are the organizations that are denying gays their rights. Dan Cathey just gives his money to groups that lobby the government to keep it that way. Neither he, nor his money, have any ability to deny anyone their rights.
      If you're really upset about civil rights, protest the only people that have the ability to deny them: Your own Government!

August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Towanda

Dan Cathy has an opinion – and he should have the FREEDOM OF SPEECH right to express it. He's not breaking any laws, he's not hating anyone. He's expressing his opinion. The thing that angers me in this is that (for at least the media covered) LGBT view of "tolerance" and "acceptance of different views" seems to be contingent on EVERYONE having the same opinion when it comes to LGBT opinions – which is exactly opposite of "tolerance" . Gay rights and gay acceptance SHOULD NOT exclude all the other opinions and/or views and rights of this country and world. And THAT is MY OPINION. Have I and will I continue to buy a sandwich at CHICK FIL-A? – you bet I will. Will I continue to hang out with my gay and straight friends and gay and straight family members – you bet I will.

August 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Said perfectly!

August 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jkhur

It was his excerise of his right to free speech that lead to this issue,. His rights have not, at any time during this issue, been denied. Yet he turns around and helps to fund groups that seek to deny your gay friends their civil rights and you defend his actions? He is free to say anything he wants but when he tries through his conributions to turn his words into laws that discriminate against your fellow citizens, he crosses the line

August 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • rekoob

Didn't candidate Obama say the same thing when running for President. Where was the outrage then? He did it for votes. I think we need to hear what President Obama has to say about this. I believe a White House Chicken Summit is in order.

August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texas Conservative

If the tables were turned around and if an establishment stated YOU can't do whatever...I would not not be a patron at that establishment. I guess that's the difference between people who know what's right for ALL, and people who just turn the cheek and ignore what's being said. You are helping the bullies bully their way. That's fine, but I am a conservative and will not "chicken" down to those who hide behind the Bible. So sad that people still hate in today's world.

August 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

He does have freedom of speech. Everyone yelling about this clearly has no idea what it means. No one is arresting him. Do you understand "freedom of speech" doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and have no consequences? The idea of tolerance as you describe it makes absolutely no sense at all. According to your version, the civil rights movement should not have occurred because those involved should have accepted their lot in life in an effort to be tolerant of the opinions of those who were prejudice against them! Gay and lesbian Americans are trying to be treated equally under state laws regarding marriage. People that are intolerant of their lifestyle are fighting against that – people like Cathy who has given quite a bit to groups pushing anti-gay legislation. I guess women who fought for their right to vote should have just shut up in an effort to be tolerant those who oppressed them? Unbelievable.

August 2, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard

No actually there is a huge difference there bud. The Jews were beaten, shot, exiled and killed. The blacks many of the same things happened to them. Is that what happened to the gays within the past week or have I been living under a rock?

August 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jkhur

Wow, you have an awfully narrow view of civil rights. If gays haven't been persecuted in the last 7 days? How did you choose that time frame? Not that it matters becasue they are denied their civil rights right now, just as a week ago, a year ago, etc. Gays have been tortured and killed for being gay. Gays have been discriminated against and demeaned. Does it rise to the level of slavery or the Holocaust? Maybe not, but it does not need to in order to be a civil rights issue.

August 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tarb12

Looks like a great time for a new ad campaign "Eat More Chicken and Less of your Partners Private parts"

August 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tim

I support the right for gays to get married, but I am sickened at the response this has been met with from the gay community. This is not an assault on your rights, this is not Chic Fila holding your down... he simply stated a belief that he holds. Get over yourselves folks. Your counter protest is an embarrassment.

August 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chip

I heard the CEO tried starting the franchise with two roosters.....didn't work out so well....and the rest is history

August 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AGoodChristian

Chick-Fil-A has donated millions for anti-gay causes. If you stood in line to support them yesterday, you also stood in support of the dangerous, ineffective practice of gay conversion "therapy," and you stood in support of companies' ability to overwhelm our political dialogue by infusing massive sums of money into campaign efforts to rewrite existing laws. You did all that while handing your hard-earned money over to a business that makes $4 billion a year, while supplying you with cheap, unhealthy food provided by underpaid workers.

August 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

on the plus side, Chick Fil A is WASTING millions of dollars by spending it towards "pray the gay away", because that doesn't work. So they can spend as much as they like, it won't amount to anything.

August 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wade

I wonder how many Chinese sweatshops and how much child labor you have supported today, just by purchasing everyday items. Probably starting with the clothing your are wearing now, down to the keyboard you are typing your responses on.
      People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

August 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TIMOTHY

Standing up and saying I am proud to love and serve the true and living GOD. GOD bless all the discipiles of CHRIST

August 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Daniela Goia

Last time I checked, we have Freedom of Speech and freedom to practice our religion. I believe wholeheartedly with what the Bible says; marriage is between a man and a woman. Our creator ordained it to be so...what God put together as one, let no man put asunder. He made Eve from Adam, not Steve from Adam. America, let's turn back to basics, to the values that made this country be what it is today. With God we can do all things; we can love, have compassion, care for our fellow man, reach out to the lost and pray for the salvation of the world and of this country.
    Thank you Dan Cathy for standing up and proclaiming what you believe in. May God bless you for that.

August 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • raul

the fact that god made adam first hints a bit of love towards men and not women.

August 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • HowardBroward

Chick A Fillet announced to day that in difference to the Gay movements Kiss day tomorrow, they will not be selling any Hot Dogs in a Bun. Having a Hot Dog in a bun is a suggestive display signifying to males marrying. Keep those hot dogs out of the buns 🙂 !

August 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

Daniela, I'm sorry, but your opinion has no weight here. You see, as a Biblical believing Christian, then surely you must be very familiar with 1 Timothy 2:9-15....I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. A woman should learn in quietness and FULL SUBMISSION. I DO NOT PERMIT A WOMAN TO TEACH OR TO HAVE AUTHORITY OVER A MAN; SHE MUST BE SILENT. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing–if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."

August 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. angeson

A republican candidate campained on balancing the budget and ending the deficit. Once elected Reagan trippled the deficit with Star Wars fictional weapons. Then "No new taxes" added another 1.5 trillion.Then Junior broke the bank with his no money down invisioned invasions. All this while social security had a surplus. I just cant believe anything the Right has to say.

August 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Social Security has never had a suplus in the past years. It is only on paper. Each Congress and President has been "borrowing".

August 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • rekoob

How about a report on the current president. Didn't he say the same thing as candidate Obama? What has he done to the debt?

August 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |